Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently have owned a 16' R1 for 4 years and did mostly aggressive mountain riding and 3-4 track days a year. As I ride the street the most the R1 is just unbearable unless you're going fast. I've had my eye on the new 2020 STRS. I know the there is a big power distance but as far as handling and "fun factor" when grinding the curves. How does the STR compare to the R1? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Not sure you can directly compare the two bikes, they're very different.
I actually had a 2016 R1 anniversary edition for a couple of months before I traded it for the Thruxton R.
Loved the sound of the cross plane engine with Akra midpipe and slip on but you have to go into massively illegal speeds to enjoy the bike, but the high gearing, jerky throttle, poor fuel consumption and uncomfortable riding position was killing me.
I can have more fun on the Thruxton at lower speeds, I think that's the key for you, can you have as much fun on a STR as you do on the R1, luckily I haven't spent much time on a litre sports bike so haven't really got used to the performance but after 4 years you may miss it.
I've no doubt handling wise the street triple especially the RS is probably up there with the best of them, the other thing to consider is the the riding position, I personally prefer the sports bike riding position and don't really like nakeds, admittedly I haven't tried any of the later STR's but I found the 675 version very cramped and a bit like riding a BMX bike, and I'm only 5'10".

·
Banned
1,207 Posts
Same boat here with a 2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100rr... Brutal and stupid fast, pretty comfortable, but it's completely overkill for the street. My main gripe is that the nearest dealer is 201 miles away, each way... God forbid I have to take it in for service and leave it with them... between dropping it off and then picking it up, I have to drive over 800 miles for that service, which is insane...

My wife has the 2018 Street RS and it's awesome, and the new one is even better... I like the Speed RS, but I am leaning towards the 2020 765RS due to it being lighter and 25% cheaper, cheaper to insure, etc...

It's a massive drop in power... like 45hp+ at the wheel less than the Tuono... but I have a little 64hp Street Cup that I rail around the Mtns on and its a blast... The Street RS I think is more than fast enough. Up to 12,500rpm it stands toe to toe power wise with a GSX-R750, and nobody considers that a "slow" streetbike... The 750 makes an extra 8hp on top, but gives up 5hp at certain areas of the midrange to the Triumph...

Realistically on mtn roads, a Street RS should keep up with anything out there, rider skill being equal... R1's, Tuono's and other hyperbikes might power down the straights a little faster, but you really don't have room to truly open them up unless you are on a long stretch of road or a race track, and even then it's short bursts or else you end up in jail or the ER...

Here is my wife's STRS and my 750 on the same dyno... On a race track, you would give the advantage to the Suzuki due to the little bit more power and better aero... But on the street? I think it's a draw, and would put the Triumph higher for comfort and day to day riding...

·
Banned
1,207 Posts
Keep in mind, the 2020 STRS is gonna have a bit fatter midrange than the one I dyno'd, putting it ahead of a GSX-R750 in most of the rev range, with the Zook pulling ahead a little at the top because it revs out to 14,500rpm...

·
Vendor
230 Posts
People put wayyy too much emphasis on power. I had a little FZR250R - 45hp at 16k rpm, 18.5k redline. You really had to keep it on the boil for rapid response, but at the same time it would quite cheerfully plod along in traffic.

It was an absolute scream, trickling along in 1st gear through stopped traffic, with the engine wailing at over 17k, watching heads snap around looking for the F1 car ... :ROFLMAO:

·
Banned
1,207 Posts
They do and they don't... While it is satisfying to ride a lesser powered bike fast... don't discount the exhilaration of brute power.

My Aprilia is faster than my Ducati 1198. It is absolutely a hoot when you open the throttle and have room to go... Third gear power wheelies at 100mph+ puts a grin on your face, and brown in your shorts when you aren't expecting it because you had the wheelie control turned down... Had that once, going from 3rd to 4th at like 115mph and the wheel is coming up on it's own without warning...

But yeah, most of the time you can't really USE that kind of power. Its nice that its there, but it won't help you go faster when the road tightens up with turns... It can be more of a liability at that point, if not for all the electrics working to keep you out of a tree... haha

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Keep in mind that even though those 1000cc sport-bikes have more hp, they are also geared for higher top speed so they are not that much faster in top gear roll-on than a bike like the Street Triple until speeds get over 100 mph. I rode with some 1000cc sport bike guys on the back-roads and I had no problem keeping up. My 2010 STR has hit close to 140 mph on level highway (corrected speedo) and that is more than enough to get me an appointment with a judge. The Street Triple has light weight, excellent handling, and great roll-on power from low rpm. Still, it is basically a sport-bike with higher handlebars and not meant for all-day comfort. It is great fun on twisty back-roads and is perfectly fine on the highway (I got a speeding ticket for 110 mph going uphill on the highway just rolling on the throttle in top gear, a few years ago) I'm 5'-8 and 160 lbs and IMO for a taller/heavier person the Speed Triple might be a better choice.

·
Banned
1,207 Posts
Keep in mind that even though those 1000cc sport-bikes have more hp, they are also geared for higher top speed so they are not that much faster in top gear roll-on than a bike like the Street Triple until speeds get over 100 mph. I rode with some 1000cc sport bike guys on the back-roads and I had no problem keeping up. My 2010 STR has hit close to 140 mph on level highway (corrected speedo) and that is more than enough to get me an appointment with a judge. The Street Triple has light weight, excellent handling, and great roll-on power from low rpm. Still, it is basically a sport-bike with higher handlebars and not meant for all-day comfort. It is great fun on twisty back-roads and is perfectly fine on the highway (I got a speeding ticket for 110 mph going uphill on the highway just rolling on the throttle in top gear, a few years ago) I'm 5'-8 and 160 lbs and IMO for a taller/heavier person the Speed Triple might be a better choice.
My wife had a 2014 Striple R with the Arrow exhaust and tune, and it made 94hp at the rear wheel. It wasn't keeping up with literbikes on any straightaways, in any gears. It was a great bike, but not enough to make up for 75hp deficit and 40% less torque.

Her 2018 Street RS is a lot faster than her 2014 was, but it still doesn't pull like a modern literbike. Yes, it may be geared a little lower, but we are talking 45hp less and a lot less torque. In the corners, it absolutely holds its own... But when it comes to savage acceleration, it doesn't hold a candle to an R1, Tuono, Super Duke 1290, etc...

I am 6'4" and 235lbs so I do think the Speed would be better, but I am still on the fence. I enjoy riding hers and wringing its neck to go fast. Its been fun on the mtns, and fun on the track...

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
My wife had a 2014 Striple R with the Arrow exhaust and tune, and it made 94hp at the rear wheel. It wasn't keeping up with literbikes on any straightaways, in any gears. It was a great bike, but not enough to make up for 75hp deficit and 40% less torque.

Her 2018 Street RS is a lot faster than her 2014 was, but it still doesn't pull like a modern literbike. Yes, it may be geared a little lower, but we are talking 45hp less and a lot less torque. In the corners, it absolutely holds its own... But when it comes to savage acceleration, it doesn't hold a candle to an R1, Tuono, Super Duke 1290, etc...

I am 6'4" and 235lbs so I do think the Speed would be better, but I am still on the fence. I enjoy riding hers and wringing its neck to go fast. Its been fun on the mtns, and fun on the track...
Of course a literbike sport-bike will blow away a Street Triple when it comes to hp, but I was mostly talking about top gear roll-on at street legal speeds where we spend most of our time riding. Cycle World magazine in 2011 gave the STR 675 40-60 mph top gear roll-on of 3.3 sec and 60-80 mph of 3.6 sec which was right in the ball-park of the other 1000cc superbikes they tested at the time of 3.0-3.8 sec (the Aprilia RSV4 Factory was 3.6 and 3.4 sec roll-ons and did the quarter in 9.99 sec). My 2010 STR with Arrow 3-1 and 2T larger rear sprocket has no problem quickly hitting 100-110 mph on the twisty 50 mph back-roads around here just using top gear; I rarely ever need to downshift. IMO the 1000cc sportbikes are useless for real world riding unless one has regular access to racetracks. Not being able to explore the limits on bikes like that would be torture! Btw I remember the 1000cc Honda Interceptor 1984 I had that was only fun and comfortable when the speeds got over 90 mph; not good for the driver's license.

·
Banned
1,207 Posts
My wife and I have owned 34 bikes in the past 13 years... Everything from a Ninja 250, to Monsters, Streetfighters, GSX-R's, CBR's, Super Dukes, Tuono's... FZ1, 1198, 999S, TL-1000R... Diavel... 600's, 750's, 1000's... You name it, we owned and rode it on street and track. haha

And the Street Triple R 675, while a perfectly nice bike, couldn't hang with any of the literbikes we have owned in roll ons... The big bikes with anywhere from a 25-80hp advantage and gobs more torque, would leave the Striple behind like it was chained to a post.

But it was a brilliant bike for what it was, but a high performance bike, it was not.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts