Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into track courses to improve my riding skills on the road. I am not looking to do races on track. Just wondering if it is worth it.

Also, not sure I want to take my S3 for that, although I could learn more how the S3 reacts, but at my cost too. There are rental bikes available too.

Any thoughts ?:confused:

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Lee Park's ARC was an eye-opener for me. Not a track class per se, but riding skills that apply everywhere.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Just give er! Ride yours, get sliders and go have fun! You will be amazed at what your bike can do, if you let it! It will improve your skills and raise your confidence level in YOU AND YOUR bike.

But if your just worried about crashing then park it in the garage and go watch tv..... ;)

·
Registered
396 Posts
I am looking into track courses to improve my riding skills on the road. I am not looking to do races on track. Just wondering if it is worth it.

Also, not sure I want to take my S3 for that, although I could learn more how the S3 reacts, but at my cost too. There are rental bikes available too.

Any thoughts ?:confused:
I've done the first two levels of California Superbike School, using their bikes. I do local track days using my own.

I don't agree with the view that it has to be your own bike to get any use out of the formal schools. The classroom portion, the track portion, and the extracurricular portions all translate to whatever bike you ride regularly.

It's great to use your own bike and I certainly get more out of practicing technique with my own, but it's not as essential as some may claim.

My thoughts (since you asked); Get plenty of sleep the day before, stay hydrated and nourished, and leave the bravado at home. Use the school for what it is - a school, not a **** size contest. There isn't a brolly girl waiting with a big cardboard check at the end of the day.

·
Registered
909 Posts
buy a track toy.
you can pickup a decent track only bike here in the south for $4k.I would not risk doing trackdays on my s3. just cause if I wreck it..there's no coming back for it.
but at the same time. if you're not sure about riding flat out on the track..then you can use your S3 to see if you would like it or not.
after a day, if you've still got a hard on..then go buy a dedicated track bike.

that said, California superbike school is awesome...
and a lot of $$$.

but before you go there, I think you should do a trackday. there's lots to learn just from going out on the track. track etiquette is also very important to learn.

if you do a trackday, you'll see where you stand and what you need to work on....do a few trackdays.
then spend the money for a school.

Also, once you ride on the track...you'll really not want to push on the street. cause there's no point.
you'll have a different perspective towards street riding.

for trackdays no rentals are available.
some schools provide the bikes. but I'd rather bring my own bike that I'm use to...cause handlebar/rearset position is important to me.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments.

mnhoulden, I will remember that, don't like tv that much.

noobinacan, I think your advice is sound, if I get to it, I will probably go for a track day and test it out before spending a lot of money on a track course. A track day, you can go at your own speed if I remember correctly.

Buying a track toy sounds good too, but no room or cash for it.

Thanks guys,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts