Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys- I ride a goldwing and just sold my Indian Spirit and want a bike that's smaller and fun, without having to lie on a bike to ride-- I test rode an S3 this weekend and it seems you can ride almost sitting up straight at slow speeds-- is this a fun bike for a guy is fine with riding below 70mph?
I still have the Wing when the wife wants to ride, this is for me to ride to work and just go riding??? THANKS

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Speedy will ride fine under 70mph, for about 5 mins, then a hand appears from nowhere and twists that throttle. Its the bikes fault officer. :-D :hammer:

·
Registered
169 Posts
don't have to go over 70 to have fun on the s3 and it makes you feel young and carefree!!!! :-D

[ This message was edited by: Briank on 2007-03-05 22:16 ]

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
yeah, the bike will take years off your life - or maybe i should phrase that better.
the youth you will regain is immeasurable. and yes, you will be finding that your rule of 70mph will be thrown to the wind pretty darn quickly.

enjoy life, it's short, and theoretically shorter for us bike lovers...

·
Registered
288 Posts
On 2007-03-05 22:03, halmul wrote:
Hi guys- I ride a goldwing and just sold my Indian Spirit and want a bike that's smaller and fun, without having to lie on a bike to ride-- I test rode an S3 this weekend and it seems you can ride almost sitting up straight at slow speeds-- is this a fun bike for a guy is fine with riding below 70mph?
I still have the Wing when the wife wants to ride, this is for me to ride to work and just go riding??? THANKS
The bike is great fun. I do find it difficult to stay under 70. Especially in short quick bursts. (The local authorities have confirmed this).

·
Registered
Joh Bloor Special
1,408 Posts
Hey Halmul,

I'm not young either, and the S3 is my only bike I have so it does everything including touring. And its a fun bike to ride whatever you are doing with it.

Go for it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm not young either (chronologically I'm 48).. There's a few "Wingers" here!!!
I got my S3 in Feb last year and put more miles on it than the Wing!!! The speed and handling of the newer Triumph triples is amazing!! Do what makes you happy!! I'm selling the S3 and the Wing and getting a new Tiger!!!
The S3 is a great bike, but it's not very good for the super slab.. On the back-roads it excels, I've done a number of 500+ mile days through southwestern PA and Maryland!!! (after the addition of the Sargent seat)
Yes, the seating position is what sold me too and I'll miss it on the Tiger.. It is a great compromise between a crouch and a touring position.. You must pay attention to use your knees and maintain a proper posture, or you'll have aching arms and shoulders!! Master the position and you'll be able to ride all day!!

[ This message was edited by: Punkinwing on 2007-03-05 23:19 ]

·
Registered
276 Posts
...is this a fun bike for a guy is fine with riding below 70mph?
Funny you should ask that. Yesterday evening while riding home after an afternoon spent strafing the curves, I had some extra time to kill, so I decided to stay on the backroads all the way into town rather than slabbing it back. It turned out to be one of the best parts of the ride; just relaxing and enjoying the rural scenary pass by at a nice, sedate 60 mph pace.

Here's a little secret that a lot of us Triplers are loathe to admit because it sort of undermines the bad-boy image: the S3 is really a fine, standard-style bike. No hooliganism is required to thoroughly enjoy it - but it's nice knowing that it always has that potential. :wink:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Halmul, buy the speedy and sell her if you don't like it.

Could some of you old guys post pics of your daughters? :-D :-D

AA

·
Registered
Joh Bloor Special
1,408 Posts
On 2007-03-06 01:04, amberale wrote:

AA
AA...Do you think I'm gonna post a picture of my lovely daughter on this site so that some desperate such as yourself can drool all over her...I think not :-D

·
Registered
146 Posts
On 2007-03-06 04:57, Legman wrote:
On 2007-03-06 01:04, amberale wrote:

AA
AA...Do you think I'm gonna post a picture of my lovely daughter on this site so that some desperate such as yourself can drool all over her...I think not :-D
You saying you wouldnt want a fine fella like Amberale as a son in law huh? Oldies dont trust the young ones these days! :hammer:

Halmul, i've seen alot of oldies around here on this site, probably more 40+ here then below 40. They just disguise that very well and i think it has something to do with the S3. I'd tell you to go for it. The speed you put out is all in your wrist and since the S3 has an amazing torque curve you can ride around relaxing enjoying the sights not needing to shift. I might be a bit biassed but lets not kid ourselves, the S3 simply rocks :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Well I agree with Legman. You can do anything on the S3 and it's more fun to boot.

I'm 46 and an average rider and just did 1030km to the Superbikes on Thurs and 1040km back again yesterday. That's on a stock seat with no sheepskin or other kind of protection. I cruised certain roads at 150plus (kph) and did the 1000k in a 11:45 elapsed on Thurs and 12:30hrs yesterday.

For longer day rides I just wear bicycle knicks under my leathers, turns sore ass into minor discomfort even on those really long hauls.

I've racked up 6500km in just under 2 months so far.

Get a Speedy you won't regret it :)

Russ :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,368 Posts
I test rode an S3 this weekend and it seems you can ride almost sitting up straight at slow speeds-- is this a fun bike for a guy is fine with riding below 70mph?
Yes, it is fine below 70mph but after a couple of months, you will no longer be able to fight the overwhelming urge to change up into 3rd gear for the first time and discover the exciting world of speeds in excess of 70 mph. It`s a slippery slope and before you know it, you`ll be experimenting with 4th, 5th and dare I say it, even 6th gear. Whowww! Scarey, man.

Mate, all joking aside, why use a sledgehammer to crack a peanut? If you don`t want to exceed 70mph, there are plenty of bikes in the 250-500cc bracket that are cheaper to buy, use less gas and are more suitable, like the Kawasaki ER5.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone- i appreciate your comments- I am not saying I never ride over 70 :) - I live in NY and more times than not- you come up on a light or traffic -- I agree, I am sure I will change my riding habits--I was thinking about the comfort and the fun-- sounds like a speedy would be a nice addition--
keep adding comments if you like, I am going to the dealer Thursday night, its some kind of Triumph night and Triumph is bringing in all the new bikes-- I am not tall enough for the Tiger- and actually have enough plastic on my Wing...

Sorry my very pretty daughter is now engaged or I would post her pic...

·
Registered
484 Posts
Most of the Triple riders I have met are 'experienced', both in age and riding. I don't know of anyone that bought a Speed Triple as a first bike. There was a thread a couple of months ago about riders' ages, and it ranged from 18 to 70+, with the average about 40.

So I guess if you're somewhere between licensed and dead, Speedy will like you! :-D

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
One of the biggest things that makes the Speed Triples so much fun to ride is the BROAD powerband. This makes riding at any speed easier and more enjoyable than many other bikes with peakier powerbands that require more work to ride.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm 53 and I bought my speedy because I couldn't ride my 51 long and far enough. The speedy is a great bike for the commute, weekend trips, exploring, and after dinner holigan blasts.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Being older than most rocks, I can say unequivocally that you should get the triple.

I got mine for exactly the reasons you describe - something lighter and more enjoyable to ride around to work and for fun. I have the BMW for bags and two-up. The S3's the grin machine.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts