Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently have 2 Sprints and use my older 00/01 for track days and longer windy stuff. The 00/01 has been a good bike and is fitted with an Ohlins rear shock, front gold valves and Pilot powers but is starting to cost a bit on maintenance.
As I am no youngster at 50+, 6ft tall and 90kg I was just wondering if the 675 will be a bit of a struggle compared to the comfort of my trusty Sprint.
I love the look of it and will have a test ride, but you really need a long ride to really appreciate a bike.
Has anyone got some thoughts or comments re this please?
PS. I will be keeping my 06 Sprint which is a fantastic bike for sports touring.
Gavin. :) :) :)

·
Super Moderator
8,713 Posts
As a 46 (soon to be 47) year old 675 rider, I will be happy to tell you that it isn't a torture rack, for me anyway, but it sure isn't as comfortable as a TT600 or especially a Sprint. If you plan on really long days on one, you have to decide if a race crouch is your style, because that is what it really wants you to do when you ride it. I love it, but I also haven't taken it on any days of more than 200 miles, and the most mileage I have put on it in one day so far was at a trackday. I did put well over 100 miles on it blasting around backroads, and it was fine. It sure isn't ideal for slabbing to get to twisties or commuting, even though that is what I do with mine most of the time. This isn't to put you off of a 675, just to let you know what it is realistically like. I am about the same height as you, but weigh about 30 lbs (approx. 14kg) less, so that gives you an idea about the ergonomics.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will,
Thanks for your reply, I have been offered a test ride which may give me some idea. I had a ride of a CB RR1000 which was very fast but to aggressive a seating style for me.
My sons ride dirt bikes and when they come out road riding with me they use my older sprint, as you can imagine they have been pushing me towards the 675.
Cheers Gavin. :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
I too am 46 years old ( female ) 5'4", the 675 is like Will said, a bit of a crouch position, but I love it, I commute to work and find that very enjoyable.

I have only had it since Sept, and like Will have done some long 2-300 mile days, but nothing longer yet. Did do a few interstate stretches and was comfortable with that.

A lot of people I know are putting the Cycle Cat handlebars on, gives the bars just a bit less clip on stance.

I have been thinking of changig to the Cycle Cats, but each time I ride it, I feel pretty comfortable so have put that modification on the back burner for now.

The bike seems to fit my body perfectly, my husband is 5'10" and he says he feels cramped on it and feels like he's standing on his head???

I have heard a lot of people say that a " previous " injury has forced them to sell their 675 or make some bar modifications..... mostly shoulder or wrist.... I have found that sometimes my wrists will get fatigued, that is what the Cycle Cat bars would help with.

But all in all, I love the bike, commuting, back roads , interstates.... it's all good!!!

And my husband says when I zip by him it sounds like a turbo-jet going by!!

Love the sound of that triple on acceleration!

[ This message was edited by: SDFOUR on 2006-11-30 18:33 ]

·
Registered
213 Posts
Let us know how the ride goes! i have been thinkin of huckin in my tt600, just going for gold and buying a 675, but i just love the tt so ***** much! if the 675 proves itself to be truely worthy, i just may have to take out another loan and let my credit feel the heat :razz:

SDFour, so you hear mainly peoople with previous injuries cant seem to cope with the stance? i actually have old injuries on my left, well, everything... from my wrist to shoulder, to my knees. maybe i will just have to make do. i'd really need to get like a 300 mile test ride, just to be sure :-D

[ This message was edited by: BBDGriptonia on 2006-11-30 18:47 ]

·
Registered
253 Posts
IMO the 675 ain't no touring bike (my D650 is a much better bike for that purpose). But the 675 is a powerful little supersport that is really fun (and effortless) to ride. If you ride one you will probably be hooked. Aftermarket clip-ons can help with the riding position if that's the only thing that puts you off. And they do have one heck of a nice growl when you twist the throttle. I like mine a lot.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I came off a 2001 Speed Triple and bought a 675. I was fortunate in that as a leader of the RAT Pack at my dealership, I was called in to lead group rides when the Demo Truck was in town. That afforded me the opportunity to put about 300 miles on the 2 675's that were in the fleet of demos over the course of two days. By the end of the first day, I had made up my mind that I was getting a 675.

I was ready to start doing track days and was going to have to spend some pretty significant money on upgrading the suspension on the Speed Triple for the track and I'll be able to get by on the 675 with the stock suspension for a while until my on-track riding ability improves and I can push the bike to the limits of the suspension.

I've ridden several 300-400 mile days and it is no way near as comfortable as my Speed Triple was. I too have been considering the cycle cat bar risers as the natural position on my hands is not met by the stock clipons. My hands are turned inwards at my wrists and I think the cycle cats will allow enough adjustment so that my hands can be straight, thus reducing the stress on my wrists.

I've also added some techspec tank grips to the sides of my tank, which made a huge difference in my ability to grip the tank with my legs and take the weight off my wrists.

Give it a go on the test ride and see how you feel. The advantage you have is that you will be keeping the newer Sprint for the comfort riding...

TripleThreat

[ This message was edited by: TripleThreat on 2006-12-02 17:33 ]

T

·
0 Posts
I,m 55 yrs old and I love my 675, sure, its not the best touring bike but I managed a 3500klm round trip to this years Triumph rally (Coffs Harbour ) and I can still walk!
If you want it buy it!
Keep the shiny side up!

·
Registered
163 Posts
On 2006-11-30 18:31, BBDGriptonia wrote:

SDFour, so you hear mainly peoople with previous injuries cant seem to cope with the stance? i actually have old injuries on my left, well, everything... from my wrist to shoulder, to my knees. maybe i will just have to make do. i'd really need to get like a 300 mile test ride, just to be sure :-D
Yes, most people that I have talked with had had previous injuries that cause more pain to the shoulder/wrist area when riding their 675.....complaints from " normal " riders was mainly "uncomfortability " in those areas...

·
Super Moderator
8,713 Posts
You don't need the full ugly litany, but it is a monument to a lack of self preservation, and let it suffice to say that various injuries over time, including neck, lower back, elbow, hand, and knee injuries, don't spoil the 675 for me.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all for your replies.
I had a test ride of the 675 today, it is a really nice bike with heaps of power and great handling. Not too sure about the aggressive riding position though. Will put it on the back burner for now.
Thanks Gavin. :)

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Find a nice used TT600 :-D

·
Registered
478 Posts
I went from my 03 sprint st to a 675. After some longer rides, i realized that I'm not 18 years old any more and put a set of cycle cats bars on it. It's perfect now.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Ok, so I'm very close to parking a red D675 in my shed, next to my silver 05 ST.

I've been looking for a 600 sports bike to compliment the ST for quite a while and I've read as much as I can find from current Daytona owners.

I tried a Ducati 600SS and found it to possibly be the most disappointing motorcycle I have ever ridden. Apologies to Ducati lovers, but its all about personal preference and while this bike sounds good, it just doesnt do it for me.

I currently have a 2005 CBR600F4i and while it is a great bike doing all the things its supposed to do and doing them well, I am reminded of the reasons why I moved away from Jap fours when I stepped onto a 99 Sprint ST in 2000.

At the Triumph Rally at Coffs in October, I took the 675 for a spin. I was still grinning like an idiot 5 or 6 hours later.

Phil from TeamMoto in Blacktown, did the return journey from Sydney and his only complaint was the seat got a little hard, but otherwise he was feeling good.

So my question to those that have gone before - is there any reason why I shouldnt have a red Daytona 675 in my shed?

Cheers,
Brett.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Thanks Paul!

I couldnt think of one and neither could anyone else I sought advice from.

Resistance is obviously futile.

So I put a deposit on it this afternoon. Hopefully I pick it up next week.

Merry Christmas to me!!! :-D :yayyy:

And to all.

Brett.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts