Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking of getting a new Bonneville 2013 or 2014 and have some questions. Just a little background. Retired, 65, will not be riding 2 up only me, probably no trips more than 150 miles from home, currently ride a 250 Honda Rebel, have been up on two wheels since 16, last English bike ridden was in 1972 (new Royal Enfield...should have bought that one). Anyway, the closest dealer is 140 miles away so I am concerned about reliability (oil, sparkplugs, chain adjustments and simple maintenance have been all I have had to do on the Honda) and will do most of the work myself. Really, I just don't want to be like the other lemmings and ride a H-D. Advice?? :eek:

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
If you want to do the work yourself the dealer service manual is around 100 bucks for the bike. The triumphs also have an odb-2 diag port which is the same as a car. This means the cheap can compatible scanner from an auto parts store can read the bike. If you need to reprogram someone TuneECU is free and the compatible ODB-2 cable for it can be had for 20 to 40 bucks. The bikes have been out a while now and overall the general response on reliability has been positive. They are good bikes.

Anyway I went with a Bonneville myself due to the styling of them. I'd say the bike is good for both beginners and experienced riders that just want a go around bike. In stock form it really isn't a long distance bike as it doesn't have fairings or a windshield but you could add them if you really wanted.

A lot of people do some mods to the bikes early on. They disable the secondary air induction, remove the air box, and put louder more free flowing pipes on them. The suspension is also replaced on a lot early on. All of this is pretty simple to do.

Anyway my advice is go sit on one and test drive it. It is a bike I'd recommend to most if they like its style.

·
Registered
241 Posts
You will luv it I do,I ama old timer ,68 from UK worked at Triumph Meriden, rode HD,s for many years ,Road King was getting kinda heavr for me, and every body had a HD, this bike ten times better than old one, no vibes no leaks etc as for reliable they are up there with Jap bikes I was a little anzy about the chain, HD belt is great, but its great o-X chain rules.nit pics they have copied HD for after market stuff, bloody expensive,and have to buy centre stand,for a chain drive,you will not need to see a dealer for 12.000 miles,valves

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Another vote for the Bonnie. I'm 55 and my "rippin' it up" days are over. The Bonnie is a great bike…. I love the styling, it's plenty fast enough, smooth and easy to ride… and nothing says "I don't want a Harley" quite like a Triumph. I say go for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts