Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day All,

Been on the site for a while in the Twin Talk area...I have a Speedmaster at the moment and while I was happy with it...the love has now gone.

Went for a 3000km trip around Victoria and came back thinking that I wont do that again on the Speedmaster.

Reasons...

1. Not great around the twisties....the bike does not feel 'Planted' around the bends...
2. Not much power punching out of the corners... 0 - 60 in..<yawn>
3. Torque is low...if your not in the right gear coming out then its a
engine bumping thump to get going.
4. Cruising speeds up around 100 - 130km is a engine vibration annoyance...an this is with updated progressive springs..

All up, came home not very happy with my Speedmaster...think I'm over the cruiser.

So, now I have the touring bug and would more than likely do two big tours a year....already organised a couple for next year.

Now its time to look for a Sports Touring bike...having a squiz at all the types...but I'm getting more serious about the Sprint ST 1050.

Keep in mind Im 6' 2" and about 100kg....looking for a bike that performs and will still be comfortable after 500km plus runs.

Will the Sprint ST suit a bigger fella like me.....and is it a good Sports Touring bike on the long runs.

Would appreciate any comments, specially the negative ones so I know what to expect...when I say negative, nothing is perfect..so just after a realistic idea on the bike...warts and all, so to speak.

Thanks fello Triumph Dudes.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Keanhi, did you ride a 1050 yet?
You'll find its the best way to answer all your questions.
You will get a slight bias on this site i'm sure, but the bike really is incredible.
Power, great road presence, will go comfortably at speed for ever and you can throw it about on the corners.
Oh, did i mention the burbles? You have to ride one soon. Enjoy.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi Keanhi.
I agree with 321 go ride the bike. If it's the correct choice the bike will choose you. I am VERY happy with mine and I had 10 000 problem free kms in about 6 months. This is the best bike I have ever owned. On the downside, I am not happy when riding two up. Maybe its me, maybe the wind shield. Overall it is :D:D:D

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
The 1050 is a great mill. If your budget is a bit lower the 955i is a fantastic choice too.

Heaps of low down torque and up top speed as well. They are great in the twisties and for touring.

I have the RS (half fairing and drop bars) that is a bit more sporting and a little less touring but is still capable of big days in the saddle.

If I had to choose one with touring in mind, I'd pick a good 02-04 Sprint ST myself as they are bullet proof without the (possible) brake sponginess and heat issues.

Ride one and you'll know - 1050 or 955 they are great bikes. :)

·
Registered
857 Posts
In answer to your questions, IMHO
Yes and Yes

In answer to your dislikes about your current steed points 1-4 they are not an issue on the Sprint.

Yes it's not 100% perfect, but then no bike is - it's pretty close though and the minor faults fade into insignificance compared with the good points - there are plenty of posts on both if you do a bit of searching on the site

·
Registered
164 Posts
I had my heart set on a big fat v-twin and went out and learned how to ride a bike, just so I could buy a Harley. Thing is while I was learning to ride I slowly learned to appreciate the more modern style bikes, though I've been riding a Honda Shadow 125 cruiser (yes yes I know its not a real bike).

At the end of the day, as cool as cruisers are they just are not comfortable and do not give you the same level of practicality and handling that you get from a modern style bike like the Sprint.

I ended up buying a cheap Sprint ST, thinking I'll use is as a temporary stepping stone while I save for the Harley but the truth is that I've fallen for my sprint totally and now, as beautiful as the Bonnevilles and Fatboys of the world are, I'm thinking that this baby will do me just fine for now and hopefully for a while... and I think my next bike will be a brand new Sprint when I have the chance to save the money.

As everyone says.. Go ride one, you should know if you like pretty much straight away.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Welcome over here.

Basically you have Sport/Touring bikes and Touring bikes that are a little sportier. The ST is really a Sport bike that is set up to be more comfortable in the ergos than a pure sport bike. The frame isn't as aggressive so it's a bit more stable. The suspension isn't as adjustable but can be worked without a lot of fuss for very little if one feels the desire. Actually, a good set of tires will go along way in an ST's handling and there are several very good sport/touring tires on the market now. See the tire stickie which is DaveM's domain:D.

You have two basic FI engines, the 955 with the 1050 taking over in 2005. The 1050 is a stroked 955 and has a different ECU. The 955 engine had a major change in 2002. Other than the stroke increase and ECU change the engines are of the same family from 2002 to current. Kind of like a Ford 427 and 428. THe Sprint's engine has the torque of a sport twin with the spin of a 4 cylinder. Mine actually out dynoed a modern Harley with a big bore kit and tune on it in both areas.

While a Sprint doesn't do any one thing excellently it does all things very well and in my experience going back to 1964 is probably the best "all rounder" that has ever been made by any manfacturer.

If one fits you only you can tell but I have ridden with 5 foot nothing ladies to guys 6'4 and taller on Sprints. I personally don't do the real touring thing and stay away from the slabs like the plague so am more interested in the technical handling of the bike in secondary road areas. Set up properly mine handles these logging/mountain roads very well and lacks for nothing in that department. As far as comfort I'm 5' 12" and 188 lbs and have had no trouble staying on the bike through a fuel stop and going till the next. That's about 400 US miles without getting off.

The Sprint, like sport bikes are front weighted meaning the weight is biased on the front end unlike a touring bike. All the work is done up front. This aspect you will find to be a big change from your Speedy. Also, you'll find the overall performance to be in a different universe. I have complete confidense and comfort with the idea of going 90 - 130 US mph all day long:rolleyes:. Typically you'll find me in the 70-100 mph area depending. (That's why I ride where I ride, no coppers:D).

Anyhow, take a test ride. I'm confident you will find the Sprint of any vintage to be a totally different animal from your Speedy. About the only similarities are that they both have two wheels and a gasoline powered engine.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Excellent reply

Now THAT is a TOP POST Dolson:ClapHappy::jiggy::icon_drink:

You just summed my own feelings too!

And with your range of experience, I am bowing to you as well!

Top man!!

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
I am 6 foot and over 220lbs and I love my Spint. I have done multiple 600 plus mile days with no problem.

Okay I confess, my rear end did get a little sore after about 8 to 10 hours in the saddle.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Okay I confess, my rear end did get a little sore after about 8 to 10 hours in the saddle.
:D Nice to know you're suffering for your hobby!:D

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm 6'3", 210 lbs and the ergos are very nice. After a 300mile ride I don't feel beat up like my friends on sport bikes. Keep in mind I have an '07 with the higher bars...You may want to get risers if you get an '06 or below.

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
I am 5'10" and a tad over 220lbs (built like a brick) and the Sprint fits me and my wife perfectly.

I use my Sprint like a sports bike and ride with sports bike, I have some suspension mods but nothing expensive and I totally concur with Don's most excellent post.

Well summed up Donski!:)

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Guys....Thanks for the excellent posts, sure has given me much to think about.

Cheers to Dolson...great post mate...appreciate the information.

Took the Sprint ST out on a test ride...Jeez, sure is a different ride compared to a Speedmaster.

Went out tonight for a long ride on the Speedmaster, just to think...then off to the dealers tomorrow for a final test ride before I hand over the cash.

They have a new Silver one in stock...hmmm, looks nice !

One other thing guys.....To ABS or not to ABS....that is the question....heard its kind of a waste of $1000...but have not really tested out the brakes on the Sprint (Do that tomorrow).

·
Registered
162 Posts
ABS=money well spent

The ABS subject has also been very well covered here in the past and as can be expected the opinions vary from rider to rider but I'll offer my view for consideration:

One thing I believe most of us did agree on was that the ST's ABS was the least invasive of all the other ABS systems out there. Triumph ABS (thank goodness) is not a linked system like you have on the BMW's and Honda VFR's for example, affording a good rider much more control, IMHO. I have an '03 ST non ABS, and an '07 ABS, and I've yet to have any issues with the ABS on my '07. To be honest it's hard to believe it's even there. The '03 stops fine for my purposes and when I ride it I can't say I miss not having the ABS, but I'm use to riding large Harley's and know how to do a controled skid if on ocassion I do lock it up. I think the real issue is how budget conscious you are. If it's all about the bottom line, then you probally don't need ABS provided you have a high level of experience and confidence in handling the power and tourqe of the ST's. In my case I did not even consider getting a non ABS model. I came to my own conclusion that knowing the ABS is there when needed was well worth the price, and I still feel the same to this day. Hey, if you want to stunt and do stoppies, then of course ABS is out of the question but I really like having such a refined ABS capability, from all I have read from others on here I think we can all agree wether we have it or not, Triumph has a top notch ABS system. If you are really into touring with it's all weather conditions and the bike being heavily packed out for the long haul, then that would be another ABS selling point in my estimation.
Good luck with your test ride, I have also owned numerous Harley's, a Thunderbird Sport, and now two ST's and these are not only the most fun bikes I've ever owned, but the best all arounders period. In fact I'll probally be buying the next generation Sprint ST when it rolls out too...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again for all your posts....the deed is done my friends and the steed is safe in the corral.

I'm sure I'll miss the old Speedmaster from time to time...I always lament about what was....(when wearing the beer goggles :)...I'll think of it as my bull-riding days.

Onwards and upwards....I have four months practice prior to the next interstate tour..! OK Amigos Lets ride.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Hmmmmmm (as in a Homer doughnut voice) Clean, Shiney :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts