Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike had a LSL handlebar kit installed when I bought it. I came to the Sprint from a Road King, so it took a bit of getting used to. Now that I've had the bike for some time, and have put a couple thousand miles on it, I'm considering removing the LSL kit and going back to clip-on's. The previous owner gave me everything he had for the bike, so I'm not out any cash in trying them out...just some time.

I'm considering new springs in the front end, so I may just swap the bars out when I install the new springs.

Sound crazy, or worth a shot?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
No, doesn't sound crazy at all.

You can actually get used to the sporting position and like it. But don't get me wrong, there probably is a limit to how low and forward most people will go. The stock Sprint is not that radical though compared to some of the hardcore track bikes out there.

I've ridden many 400 mile days with my '06 and stock bars.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I tried to match the position of my original RS bars when I did my front end swap, but ended up a couple inches lower. I like it better this way.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
14 Posts
My '06 Sprint also came with the lower bars, and I swapped them out for the higher bars that came standard starting in '07. The bike is a good bit more comfortable to ride with the higher bars, especially for long distances, but I think I may have lost some cornering ability. The bike always carried its weight high, but it feel even higher with the taller bars. Been thinking of going back to the lower bars also. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
I'm having a love/hate relationship with my bar risers and may also take them off for awhile. I kind of like the upright riding position, but find it harder to tuck down on the interstates. Which gives me more helmet buffeting than I would like. I have the Tri touring windshield. I'm not sure if I would prefer a different windshield or lower bars. Anyway, the bar thing will be easy and free to check so I'll try that first. I'd also like to take MSF ERC and with the risers, my bars hit the fairing a bit and might not be entirely at full lock.

·
Registered
382 Posts
My bike had a LSL handlebar kit installed when I bought it. I came to the Sprint from a Road King, so it took a bit of getting used to. Now that I've had the bike for some time, and have put a couple thousand miles on it, I'm considering removing the LSL kit and going back to clip-on's. The previous owner gave me everything he had for the bike, so I'm not out any cash in trying them out...just some time.

I'm considering new springs in the front end, so I may just swap the bars out when I install the new springs.

Sound crazy, or worth a shot?
If you're ever thinking of converting the LSL kit into cash, let me know. I have some adjustable clipons in the mail, but if they don't work for me, I'll try the LSL setup

·
Registered
258 Posts
You could always go for a drag bar if you want lower. Much faster to swap bars than switching back to the clipons. Though you may be able to just unbolt the lsl plate and push it up out of the way leaving everything still connected. Then you could pop the clipons on with like one bolt and see how it feels just static.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you're ever thinking of converting the LSL kit into cash, let me know. I have some adjustable clipons in the mail, but if they don't work for me, I'll try the LSL setup

I'll let you know if they become available.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You could always go for a drag bar if you want lower. Much faster to swap bars than switching back to the clipons. Though you may be able to just unbolt the lsl plate and push it up out of the way leaving everything still connected. Then you could pop the clipons on with like one bolt and see how it feels just static.
I had considered a drag bar, as you mentioned, it would be quicker.

I was thinking the other day as the bike was on the lift, that I think I could move the LSL out of the way, and try the clip-on's and see how they feel. But sitting on the bike, and riding it are two different things....but it should give me some idea of how they feel anyway.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On the last few rides, I noticed my headstock bearings were a bit loose, so I decided to tighten them up today. And seeing as how you just about need to remove the LSL kit to adjust the bearings, I decided to install the stock clip-on's. The hardest part was removing the left hand grip, but a little bit of denatured alcohol made that much easier. Got everything installed in short time. I left the current brake line and clutch cable on instead of re-installing the stock ones....going to give the new bars some riding time to make sure I like them first.

Went for a short 15 mile or so ride to test things out. So far, I like the stock bars better. I feel like I have better control of the bike, and the angle is much better on my wrists. The previous owner must have tried a set of Genmar risers before he went to the LSL kit. I found a set of those in the box of "extra" parts he gave me. i can install those if I feel I need the bars a bit higher.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ended up putting the LSL kit back on. I tried for about 500 miles with the stock set up....just couldn't get used to it. I have ulnar nerve issues in my right arm, and the angle of the stock bars made it worse, although I prefer the stock angle better.

And, the wiring for the aftermarket heated grips was rubbing on the tank during turns.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
I have the genmar risers on my 2000 Sprint St and I am thinking about going a bit higher, maybe with the LSL setup. I would also be interested if you decide to part with them. I'm in CT.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Hey Redhouse,
If you are in southern New England and would be willling to indulge me in a closer look at your LSL bar setup I would appreciate it before I decide which setup to install. Thanks.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm really getting used to the stock position. I came from an '82 Suzuki so was used to sitting much more upright. Just recently rode the Suzuki and hated the upright position, and while the bars seemed easy to turn, I felt a lot less control. Was intrested in higher or a bit more pull-back, but now not sure if I'll go through the effort of swapping out to the higher bars I bought.

·
Premium Member
24,407 Posts
I'm really getting used to the stock position. I came from an '82 Suzuki so was used to sitting much more upright. Just recently rode the Suzuki and hated the upright position, and while the bars seemed easy to turn, I felt a lot less control. Was intrested in higher or a bit more pull-back, but now not sure if I'll go through the effort of swapping out to the higher bars I bought.
My advise and also Don's on this is unless you have a real medical problem then it is best to ride with the stock bars, do some abs exercises and try to get used to them before you go changing everything.

Not a few people have changed the bars etc only to revert back after a while.

Cheers
DaveM:)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
My advise and also Don's on this is unless you have a real medical problem then it is best to ride with the stock bars, do some abs exercises and try to get used to them before you go changing everything.

Not a few people have changed the bars etc only to revert back after a while.

Cheers
DaveM:)
:beerchug
I love the riding position on the Sprint, but loose arms and a bit of core strength is the key for me.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Redhouse,
If you are in southern New England and would be willling to indulge me in a closer look at your LSL bar setup I would appreciate it before I decide which setup to install. Thanks.

I am in the seacoast area of NH...if that helps at all.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Kinda curious to those of you who tried the LSL's-
1) how tall are you?
2) how much do you weigh?
3) do you know you're sleeve length?

I ask because I am once again considering the purchase of an 08 Sprint. My current ride, an 03 ZRX, is pretty upright, w/only a slight lean angle. One of the reasons I gave up my former ZZR1200 was because of the height/angle/reach to the clip-ons. I had a set on gen-mars on that bike & they only aided marginally. The angle hurt my hands and the reach killed my worn out shoulders.

There's a site I was alerted to today: http://cycle-ergo.com/ that tells you about the forward lean angle & knee angle will be for each bike. You can even compare multiple bikes & over-lay the angles to see the differences between the bikes. Of course, there's a significant difference between the ZRX & a Sprint; the ZRX has 79 degree knee angle and 24 degrees of lean whereas the Sprint has 77 & 35respectively.

Gen mars may help a bit, decreasing lean angle to 33 degrees, but not much. Assuming the gen mars knock it back a 1/2" too, the angle decreases to 32 degrees. It gets closer but is it close enough? I don't know & really don't want to go thru what I went thru w/the ZZR again. No amount of finagling got that bike to ever fit me.

That's a pretty significant difference & the Sprint grip angle is more acute than the ZRX's which tends to be flatter.

When I test rode a Sprint a few years back, I found the riding position remarkably similar to the ZZR. In fairness I don't recall if that was a set of high bars, like currently offered, or the original lower set. Either way, if the bars are set like my old ZZR, then there's no way I'm going in on that deal.
Lee

1 - 19 of 19 Posts