Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last Triumph I restored was about 20 years ago. I had a 2006 Scrambler for a year but sold it and bought a 2008 BMW R1200R. I'm kind of ready for a project and found a $2,500 1972 Triumph on craigslist. Is this consistent with current prices? Any other advice? Here's a link. And a picture I just grabbed. The current owner says it runs but smokes.

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/mcy/1217384561.html

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
The prices seems correct for the condition of the bike non matching numbers I assume), but have a look at the inlet manifolds in the head. Most people would convert to twin carbs by using a bonnie head, this looks like the original head has been converted (and not by a professional).
Personally I would budget for a new head
Just my two cents

Webby

·
Super Moderator
13,271 Posts
The Mark II carbs didn't appear till much later, but they do seem to be better carbs than the old concentrics.

Looks to be worth the price, maybe try to start a bit lower and see if you can save a few bucks.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't notice the blob welding to fit dual carbs but now that you mention it I can see it would need a new head. Maybe I'll pass on it.

·
Super Moderator
13,271 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily say it needs a new head before a thorough test-ride.

It's possible that an excellent conversion was done by a very competent welder with a proper blueprint for the conversion.

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
I wouldn't let the head put me off, if it needs changed there are plenty out there (however I would use it as a bargaining point) As GPZ says take it for a test ride and then make a decision. The bike's not exactly expensive (I'm spent more than that restoring my 72, not including the purchase price of the bike)
Webby

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I sent the owner an email asking about the head. Are the 650 and 750 heads the same? I seem to remember something about some years having an additional head bolt but I thought that was earlier.

Maybe I'm expecting too much finding an unmolested bike at $2,500. It's about a 150 mile round trip to go check it out. I'm retired and have the spare time so maybe I'll take a little drive before I give up on it. He has a valid title for it.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I paid $2500 for my 68 T120 in non running condition because it appeared to be all there. The guy I bought it from assured me it was running when it was put in a shed 15 years before. Turned out to be a rolling baset case but there wasn't any thing else around here that I could find for less after looking for a year. After I was deep into the rebuild, I met a friend I hadn't seen for years. Turns out he had two TR6's in great shape and wanted to sell one for $5,000. I could have saved a few grand. Then a few months ago a fellow Triumph enthusiest I met during the rebuild found a 67 that had the front tire burned in a house fire with no other damage. The guy that owned it just wanted it out of his garage and sold it to my friend for $150. I've been looking for a 750 bottom lump for my next project and the complete ones (crases, crank, rods, covers, clutch & transmission) are going for near $1,000 for just the lump so $2500 for a rider doesn't sound too bad to me. There are deals out there but they take a lot of patience and LUCK to find.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Hey Jimmy,

No more stories about buying complete bikes for $150. It hurts too much!!! RR

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
RetroRod
Guess you dont want to hear how I paid $250 dollars for my RT in '78. The MOST I ever paid for any Triumph I own is $1500.

·
Registered
601 Posts
RetroRod
Guess you dont want to hear how I paid $250 dollars for my RT in '78.
Wow,

But wait that was then and this is now, the value of the dollar
has tanked!!!

That 250.00 dollars is like a gazillion in today's dollars, not quite
the bargin now is it.

Oh yes it is humor time,

Pookybear

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
Pookybear
Then I guess you dont want to hear about a friend that bought an under 800 mile RT for less than $1500. ( I think this was in about '86) Neither the seller or buyer realized it was an RT until it was pointed out after the sale was a done deal.
Or the RT that was in the bed of a junk pick up truck left on a property in Missouri (last year)

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Kadutz, you're a sadist!!! RR

1 - 13 of 13 Posts