Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last Triumph I restored was about 20 years ago. I had a 2006 Scrambler for a year but sold it and bought a 2008 BMW R1200R. I'm kind of ready for a project and found a $2,500 1972 Triumph on craigslist. Is this consistent with current prices? Any other advice? Here's a link. And a picture I just grabbed. The current owner says it runs but smokes.

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/mcy/1217384561.html

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
The prices seems correct for the condition of the bike non matching numbers I assume), but have a look at the inlet manifolds in the head. Most people would convert to twin carbs by using a bonnie head, this looks like the original head has been converted (and not by a professional).
Personally I would budget for a new head
Just my two cents

Webby

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't notice the blob welding to fit dual carbs but now that you mention it I can see it would need a new head. Maybe I'll pass on it.

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
I wouldn't let the head put me off, if it needs changed there are plenty out there (however I would use it as a bargaining point) As GPZ says take it for a test ride and then make a decision. The bike's not exactly expensive (I'm spent more than that restoring my 72, not including the purchase price of the bike)
Webby

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I sent the owner an email asking about the head. Are the 650 and 750 heads the same? I seem to remember something about some years having an additional head bolt but I thought that was earlier.

Maybe I'm expecting too much finding an unmolested bike at $2,500. It's about a 150 mile round trip to go check it out. I'm retired and have the spare time so maybe I'll take a little drive before I give up on it. He has a valid title for it.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I paid $2500 for my 68 T120 in non running condition because it appeared to be all there. The guy I bought it from assured me it was running when it was put in a shed 15 years before. Turned out to be a rolling baset case but there wasn't any thing else around here that I could find for less after looking for a year. After I was deep into the rebuild, I met a friend I hadn't seen for years. Turns out he had two TR6's in great shape and wanted to sell one for $5,000. I could have saved a few grand. Then a few months ago a fellow Triumph enthusiest I met during the rebuild found a 67 that had the front tire burned in a house fire with no other damage. The guy that owned it just wanted it out of his garage and sold it to my friend for $150. I've been looking for a 750 bottom lump for my next project and the complete ones (crases, crank, rods, covers, clutch & transmission) are going for near $1,000 for just the lump so $2500 for a rider doesn't sound too bad to me. There are deals out there but they take a lot of patience and LUCK to find.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Hey Jimmy,

No more stories about buying complete bikes for $150. It hurts too much!!! RR

·
Registered
601 Posts
RetroRod
Guess you dont want to hear how I paid $250 dollars for my RT in '78.
Wow,

But wait that was then and this is now, the value of the dollar
has tanked!!!

That 250.00 dollars is like a gazillion in today's dollars, not quite
the bargin now is it.

Oh yes it is humor time,

Pookybear

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Pookybear
Then I guess you dont want to hear about a friend that bought an under 800 mile RT for less than $1500. ( I think this was in about '86) Neither the seller or buyer realized it was an RT until it was pointed out after the sale was a done deal.
Or the RT that was in the bed of a junk pick up truck left on a property in Missouri (last year)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts