Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone used the triumph gps, wondering how godd it is compared to the tom tom rider? it is one of the options i may not buy at time of purchase but debating it.

·
Banned
336 Posts
The Triumph GPS is the same as the Garmin Streetpilot 2610, a unit that has recently been superceded by the 2720/2820 series. There have been some stunning deals in the UK to clear stock (lowest I have seen is £170 now) so I would imagine they must be available for great prices in the US. Why pay Triumph a premium price for a product that you can get much cheaper elsewhere?

·
Registered
282 Posts
http://www.garmin.com/zumo

Get a Garmin Zumo.

Its designed to be a cycle GPS.

I'd add the XM reciever for music and traffic info..

You will also need something like the ScalaRider headset.

If you have a blue tooth cell it will also work with that.

[ This message was edited by: MNSpintST on 2006-12-08 19:32 ]

·
Registered
646 Posts
The Zumo is great but actually isnt as fully featured as some of the other Garmin units.

The Zumo's relative simplicity as far as features go may very well be perfect for what anyone would need or want so far as use on a motorcycle is concerned but if you want the unit with the most features I'd go toward the Garmin 2820.

The Zumo doesnt let you scroll the map with your finger, has no audible-audiobook player, does not allow for the input of multiple destination (stops along the way to your final destination), there are few others also.

Keep that in mind, the Zumo is a wonderful unit, is a good size and works without issue but just dont think it's the best Garmin has to offer just because it's the newest.

Also a note to keep in mind is that if you plan on using the XM radio feature of either the zumo or 2820 you will need to purchase the garming xm-30 antenna, the xm radio and traffic features simply wont activate without it and get this...the antenna is about $240, so that is an additional expense to keep in mind if you want all that these units have to offer you.

It's acutually the Antenna that has the XM radio ID number, not the GPS unit. Think of the Antenna as the actual radio and signal reciever but the GPS unit as the control center.

With the Zumo, the features dependant upon the Antenna wont activate unless the unit is drawing power from the supplied power cable (the 2828 has no internal battery so it can only be powered by the bike battery anyway).

All this makes sense to me as the antenna will need power to run and an internal battery will not do it justice with regards longevity.

I've tried various GPS units over the years and although most are great I do seem to keep coming back to Garmin..it's the userfriendliness of them I think.

[ This message was edited by: rudebwoy85 on 2006-12-11 19:33 ]

·
Registered
659 Posts
I looked at buying the factory fit garmin but couldnt justify the huge cost. So i bought the tomtom rider at a 3rd of the price of garmin.
Unfortunately most of the tomtom fitting kit that comes with it is of no use for the 05ST so i bought a Ram arm and 2 1" ram balls from GPS warehouse.
The tomtom now fits better and is more adjustable ( better viewing angle) than garmin plus i dont miss any mobile phone calls thanks to the bluetooth.Its also simple and user friendly.

·
Registered
282 Posts
For most people a PDA will work but I am reall looking into running a UMPC.

Ultra-Mobile-PC with something like this.. A HMD.. Head Mounted Display.. Instead of the headband mounting the boom to the helmet with a pivot point that manipulated externally.. Perhaps electronically. Flips into lower peripheral vision and rotates down when not needed....

There are smaller versions with the same size display as well as see thrus available.. Just not as affordable..

Who knows.. maybe some day we will have see thru VGA embeded sheilds available...

Anyway...

Garmin, TomTom and Pharos all have "mouse" and bluetooth GPS recievers and software packages.

I will be also running EFB (electronic flight bag) software on it when not piloting two wheeled vehicles.

UMPC's will be getting better in 07. The samsung q1's are already pretty nice but there will be likely be some PDA sized machines out soon.

I have a bro that is way into computer science. Lets just say some other advances like voice recognition is pretty cool too.

·
Registered
357 Posts
What about the Garmin 376C...monster GPS...and not anymore cost than it's predecessor.

try www.getfeetwet.com

·
Registered
646 Posts
Garmin is the industry standard for aviation. They have produced great products and continue to set the standard in the world of GPS. I went the cheap route and purchased a Garmin c330 and a RAM mount. I paid about $400USD all together. I'm relatively pleased with its performance and serves me well for what I use it for.

Drawbacks:
1) Although it is possible to enter multiple POI's, it reaks havoc on the overview map.
2) It is not water proof (just cynch a baggie over it and it works fine.
3) unable to wire audio to my headphones

Strengths:
1) ease of use
2) inexpensive
3) still functions well with gloves on (even with a baggie over it
4) Perty darn accurate (not perfect, but no slouch either)
5) all the essentials already present. Just turn on and go

As a side note, the RAM mount does not come with the power adapter connection. You must transfer that connector from the original car mount to the RAM mount.

In regards to the ZUMO:
The reviews I've read stated the ZUMO 550 does allow for multiple POI's. This, and the integration of MP3 player, were THE reasons for considering the ZUMOP as my next GPS.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Garmin 376C - no more money then it's predesessor and is a monster of a GPS.!

J

·
0 Posts
On 2006-12-08 19:13, MNSpintST wrote:
http://www.garmin.com/zumo

Get a Garmin Zumo.

Its designed to be a cycle GPS.

I'd add the XM reciever for music and traffic info..

You will also need something like the ScalaRider headset.

If you have a blue tooth cell it will also work with that.
Hey MNSprintST - Did the motorcycle mount that came w/ the Zumo work OK on your Sprint? I believe you had an '05 listed, do you have risers installed?

·
Registered
282 Posts
I dont have a Zumo.

I just have used alot of different Garmin brand units. Both for gound and aviation uses.

For a traditional GPS unit really think they own the game.

There are other options around as well. GPS recievers that plug into PDA's, Laptops and UMPCs'.

Some PDAs like a Dell V51 are pretty freeking cool with a good reciever and good software.

A tablet UMPC rules in a EFB application..

ChartCase

In flight weather on your moving map.

Terrain Maping

IFR/VFR charts and terminal proceedures are just some of the many other things it can do.. It also updates the data in real time so long as you have a link to the internet..

Now for the road on a PDA get tomtom navigator 6 or copilot live for PDA

For a UMPC/Laptop the laptop version of Copilot live...

CoPilot Live

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hmmm, pda looks good but will it work in the good old british rain and can you push the buttons with your gloves on?
Thats why the Tomtom won for me.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Waterproof solution for PDA's

I am runing UMPC's not PDAs anyway.. A UMPC is a cycle and a PDA is a scooter..

I am really looking at a thin flexible keypad system combined with a head mounted dispay (HMD). So the processor can be stowed ouf sight in a waterproof enclosure... The screen follows your head and the keypad is just below the left grip..

J

·
0 Posts
On 2006-12-13 01:07, MNSpintST wrote:
I dont have a Zumo.

I just have used alot of different Garmin brand units. Both for gound and aviation uses.

For a traditional GPS unit really think they own the game.

There are other options around as well. GPS recievers that plug into PDA's, Laptops and UMPCs'.

Some PDAs like a Dell V51 are pretty freeking cool with a good reciever and good software.

A tablet UMPC rules in a EFB application..

ChartCase

In flight weather on your moving map.

Terrain Maping

IFR/VFR charts and terminal proceedures are just some of the many other things it can do.. It also updates the data in real time so long as you have a link to the internet..

Now for the road on a PDA get tomtom navigator 6 or copilot live for PDA

For a UMPC/Laptop the laptop version of Copilot live...

CoPilot Live
Thanks - I realized that after I sent the post and re-read yours.
Has anyone successfully mounted a Zumo to an 05/06 Sprint with or without risers using the mount kit that comes with it?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts