Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I'm a newbe with a question and was hoping I could get some opinions.

I've been riding all my life. I'm on my 14th new motorcycle now. I currently ride a Honda CBR600rr. Yes, I wanted a 600 :) I rode a Ducati S2R1000 Monster before that. I wanted the 600 because I like my bikes to be ligh and nimble, in spite of my 6'2" size.

Okay, so here's my question.

I have a friend in London that's moving here in a few months. If any of you are from that area, you'll know that it's not strange to go through your whole life without ever driving or getting a license.

My friend doesn't have one. She's 45 and has never been behind the wheel. So, teaching her to ride is simple not possible.

I need a 2 up bike. Not a 2 up sportbike, but a 2 up bike that she would feel secure on and have fun.

I'm not interested in an old fogie full dresser or anything as big as a Honda Goldwing.

So I've been looking at a lot of bikes.

The bike that struck me the most was the unusual look of the Tiger. Nice and tall (fits my long legs) and upsidedown fully adjustable front forks. Not to big and bulky, but does have a nice big back seat with optional side bags.

Looks pretty passenger friendly.

I wanted to see what everyone's opinion of that bike was? Also, my dealer has them for 11,899 + 450 assembly + 450 freight. Anyone suggest a better place with a better price?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
Welcome to the forum Thumper07.

The Tiger is quite a nice bike, especially the 07 onwards model IMO but it is not a bike that I would own myself. I just don't like the looks compared to some other Triumph models.

I have a mate who owns one and he loves it. Great in the twisties, excellent long distance cruising and comfortable for the 2 up times. It is a top heavy bike which can be a little disconcerting in heavy (London) traffic at low speeds especially fully loaded (I have been told).

On the road or motorway they are smooth, fast and well balanced. Have a test ride - that will tell you.

Have you thought of the ST?

Good luck :)

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
The Tiger will seem top-heavy compared to a Sprint or other lower clearance machines. But if ya got long legs, there's a lot to like about a Tiger. Plush suspension, upright and comfy ergos, that great Triumph triple engine, and the ability to see over a lot of cages. +1 on the test ride. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
Maybe the Tiger guys can address this problem but my view of them is that it is an excellent bike, I have only ridden an '06 and if I had to buy another bike that would be the one I'd go for.

However the '07 onwards Tiger have a slightly different pillion set-up and not as good in my view as the '06. You'll have to try one with your pillion first before buying but they are a great touring and all-round bike, easy to ride.

--------------
Ride on ! :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've given the Sprint some thought. Problem is, it's too much like so many other bikes I've already owned. And I don't want to fork out cash for something similar to what I've gotten rid of already.

That, in itself, rules out so many other bikes.

I like little light flickable bikes, because they are so great in traffic. So, any larger 2 up bike I go with will make me do some teeth gritting in traffic.

So I already know that I'm going to be missing my little pocket bike when I'm sitting in traffic on any 2 up bike :)

But, I can't have everything I guess. Well, if I had enough room for two bikes.............I'd have two bikes. Unfortunately, I don't have room for more than 1.

One of the dealer's owners rides a Tiger and he wants me to come in next Saturday and he'll ride it in so I can test ride his.

I'd also like to ask the mechanic how much the rear spring preload could be increased. The front felt nice and stout, but the rear felt a bit squishy.

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
Have you ridden a Sprint?

Haven't there been rumors of a 675 based Tiger? I wonder if that would be a good choice, if so.

·
Registered
616 Posts
In stock trim I'd hazard a guess that the "girlie" is a better two up bike than the current "roadie". I've had both but haven't ever ridden either two up. The 07 + would need a new, flatter seat area for the pillion and yet it would still be quite high. Either would benefit from suspension mods for regular two up use.

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Hey everyone!

I'm a newbe with a question and was hoping I could get some opinions.

snip.....
Okay, so here's my question.

I have a friend in London that's moving here in a few months. If any of you are from that area, you'll know that it's not strange to go through your whole life without ever driving or getting a license.

My friend doesn't have one. She's 45 and has never been behind the wheel. So, teaching her to ride is simple not possible.

snipppppp.....
Thanks
Thumper! What makes you think a 45 year old woman can't learn to drive or ride? I know plenty of women here in Australia, that never learned to drive, or ride and now ride happily on thier own giant cruisers.

IMO, that's a bit of an arrogant statement, and you should at least give her the option of learning to ride if she wants to. She may surprise you.....

Mick :cool:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a mate who has just bought a Tiger for the exact same reason - 2 upability. His girl was constantly shifting her butt back from sliding down the seat on his bandit and his speed triple is single seat and his vtr is a bit dinged at present. Honestly I wouldn't mind owning his garage contents:D Tiger is great he says, has some offroad possibilities too, basically a detuned speed triple. He likes the idea of panniers for longer rides too.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
First-how can anybody tell you where to get a better deal(?) if we do not know where you are from? There are several Triumph dealers that have shut down in January this year in this area so---- list your local area if not your home town, so the folks around there can help you.
Second -how tall is your friend? too tall can be a problem on most bikes but especially the Tiger-they are NOT "topheavy" and handle very well , also are very quick with plenty of torque and great gear ratios for real world riding.Fast and comfortable.

I have a 07 Tiger used only for solo ridingwith a full complement of bags and topbox, tank bag, plus I weigh 250lbs-no problems with high speed or low speed stability--my legs were too long for the SpeedTriple I had and my back is too old for my son's Sprint. The Tiger is a sport tourer with great ergonomics. Forget the dirt road stuff-it is a street bike!The only problem I had was wind noise/buffeting which I handled by custom ear plugs and a fabric skull cap with a Shoei full coverage helmet and neat riding jacket and pants that do the trick.
I really like the bike.
Buy what you like and have fun!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mick,

Some people just display a total lack of coordination and motor skills. Sometimes, you just KNOW that there is no way that person should operate a vehicle.

She is one of those people. She lacks the necessary motor skills to learn to operate a motorcycle.

It has nothing to do with arrogance, but I do NOT want to try to teach her how to ride.

I don't even believe she will drive a car well. She has told me many times that she has no interest in driving a car. But, in America, driving is a MUST.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First-how can anybody tell you where to get a better deal(?) if we do not know where you are from? There are several Triumph dealers that have shut down in January this year in this area so---- list your local area if not your home town, so the folks around there can help you.
Oh, sorry. My local dealer is www.pure-triumph.com and it's in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Tigers are wonderful all rounders, but I don't know about passengers. My children love mine. But cruisers make better passenger bikes because they are lower.

The older TIger is a wonder, though. The new one is a little different in terms of its mission and not as purely practical as the older one: smaller tank, shorter rims, less suspension travel, more expensive, smaller topcase, less MPG.

The older Tiger is a warm weather bike. Not so much wind protection.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
According to their website, they only have the standard and the ABS version. I don't want the ABS. I don't trust my life to a man made computer. I can apply my own brakes! :)

·
Registered
616 Posts
I think Kiwi Tiger was asking...

1st generation is mid 90s to 01 ( I think ). 885cc carbed engine (steamer)
2nd generation is 02 to 06. 955 injected. Cast tubeless wheels in 05 and 06. (girlie)
3rd generation is 07+. 1050. 17"wheels etc... (roadie)

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Mick,

Some people just display a total lack of coordination and motor skills. Sometimes, you just KNOW that there is no way that person should operate a vehicle.

She is one of those people. She lacks the necessary motor skills to learn to operate a motorcycle.

It has nothing to do with arrogance, but I do NOT want to try to teach her how to ride.

I don't even believe she will drive a car well. She has told me many times that she has no interest in driving a car. But, in America, driving is a MUST.
Thumper, it's OK, I was just making an observation that this lady doesn't seem to get a say in the matter. Even your response seems like you are making the decision for her. YOU don't have to teach her to ride, there are many places she can learn from scratch, which will make her a much better rider. :D

My wife hasn't particularly good motor skills either, but she can ride and drive perfectly well. I gave her the choice, regardless of what I thought. Whilst she can ride quite acceptably, she chooses not to ride because she prefers pillion. She also surfs, sews and cooks and looks after me very well, but if you saw her and spoke to her you wouldn't say she'd be good at anything much at all, but she actually is.

Just sayin is all.

BTW, the 0708 1050 Tiger is a great choice, although may not be as comfortable two up as an 06 version.

Mick :cool:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts