Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Speed Triple vs I4 600

Hi first post: Been reading the sticky about Good, Bad, and Ugly on the Speed Triple.

I have been riding for a year now and have ~6000 miles on an FZR600 and a 600F4i. The Speed caught my interest. I cummute 45 miles round trip on interstate 3-4 days a week. Most of my riding is to work and twisties about 15 miles from me. Not much town riding, maybe 10%. I love the F4i, it is plenty fast for getting to work and twisties. But now I am curious about torque.

Coming from an F4i would the S3 be to much power? How would you compare riding the two bikes? Someone suggested a street but it seems very close in performance to my F4i on paper.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi

I was thinking the same thing before I got my S3, "would it be to much power".
I, like you have been riding for about a year with a SV650S but I have clocked up about 30,000 miles, I tend to ride in all weather.
I have only had my S3 for about 3-4 weeks but there hasn't been a day I haven't been out on it in that time and I must say it's absolutely fine. Yes there is more power but at the end of the day you don't have to fully open the throttle, even when you do open it a bit much I still find it manageable.
Take a test ride and the next thing you'll know is you have bought one.
Enjoy!!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I owned a 2002 Suzuki SV650S before I bought my 08 S3. I put approximately 5 years and 20,000 miles on it. (Great bike).

I would say that the biggest difference I noticed was above 45mph or so.

Let's say you're getting on the freeway. I remember my SV being a little bit buzzy over 75mph or so, and not having as much oomph as I would like for the on-ramps. It had a pretty lame suspension, as good as that motor was. And the bike didn't really feel at home above 75mph. It would do it, but the bike wasn't made to do that. I'd be near wide open throttle on on-ramps and have enough power but not insane power.

The S3 cruises in 6th gear at highway speed at an RPM down in the 'fuel miser' range. The bike seems bored on the city highways here only going 60 or 70. You can crack the throttle open on an on-ramp and the power is just ludicrous. The SV would rip if you rode it hard. This is more like when Han Solo makes the jump to hyperspace. Or maybe it's more like teleportation.

I know you occasionally did the 'how fast can I get to 70' on your bike just like I did. The first time you do that on a litre you'll understand.

It's not like a miniscule twist of your wrist will loop the bike. the powerband is pretty linear. But when you tell it to kick, it kicks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts