Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,231 Posts
I bought my Trident 'new' in July 2000 (it is a '96 model) and now done just under 60k on it. The single sided calipers annoy me, they tend to get dirty quickly and the pistons bind on the accumulated dirt. Regular cleaning required there. Fork oilseals dont last long, but they are easy to replace on the Showa non-adjustable forks. I now have some Tiger gaiters on the fork legs, they look 'wrong' but it helps protect them. Also found wheel bearings go from time to time, but again, they are easy to replace. Front wheel bearings failing will result in a 'grinding' vibration in the handlebars. Keeping the battery well charged is important, to make sure the starter motor works at its best and doesnt allow the sprag clutch to get damaged. The bike doesnt burn or leak oil (semi-synthetic) but its well thirsty, I get about 34mpg from London commuting type riding.

One regular weakness is ignition pick-up coils failing when warm, the bike will just stop dead and may re-start once its cold. Some bikes also suffer from HT coil problems, I've been OK with that (so far). I believe there are two manufacturers HT coils used and one is better than the other.

When I was looking for a Trident I was advised to get a 900, the 750s have a more 'peaky' engine although the 750s are noticeably cheaper when you see them for sale.

There are a couple of tidy looking Tridents on eBay right now.

· Registered
2,231 Posts
I have had a fair bit of grief with wiring around the steering head. It is not particularly well made, there are wires crimped together within the wiring loom, and these can corrode & break. The size of the crimp is not really up to the size & quantity of wires. Left & right indicator wiring are two of the crimped joints, there is another where a whole bunch of wiring from the fusebox and alternator connect to the feeds to the ignition switch and handlebar switches. Bit late for a warranty claim :mad:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.