Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the good old days when engines drove the rear wheels of our cars, it was normal practice to replace the thermostat whenever we accessed the cooling system, like changing the coolant.

But then again that was when we had fat in our milk and thrrmostats cost $6.

Does anyone do that on their bike?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Leave it well alone, I've had 3 faulty thermostats in the last couple of years although only 1 was a triumph one. After a run leave the bike ticking over now and again just to check the fan comes on.
Do you have a back rack to strap the zimmer frame to?!

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hi,

Are there not two/three things here?
Beemie - the thermostat that holds coolant back until the operating temperature (85c) is reached? Ah, I recall taking the thermostat out for the winter, and then boiling it up in a saucepan to test before the summer re-install.
Jaguartvr - the cooling fan switch. I have never achieved, always 'chickening out' of, leaving the Tbird running until the fan comes on. Haynes uses a test very similar to above (boil-up), and notes a trip point of 100c (water's boiling point!). How long do you leave the bike running?
Me - what about the radiator pressure cap. We use to replace these too.....

[I guess the pressure and coolant fluid composition affects the boiling point?].

Geoff

·
Registered
983 Posts
thermostsat

After a good run I find it only takes 5 min for the cooling fan to cut in. Saves taking the stat out and boiling it to test it.I have bought 2 t-birds that the thermostats were missing so its a worth while test.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I change the thermostat on my automobiles whenever I change the coolant. Every other change on the bike - (40 bucks - yowza!). You can check the thermostat, yes; but that just tells you that the thermostat is working NOW. Does nothing in the way of "preventative maintenance.

My philosophy of maintaining a vehicle certainly isn't the most cost effective, but I've also never been stranded or had a breakdown in one of my cars or motorcycle. I consider it the price of convenience, and I always have the confidence that my wheels are in top shape.

·
Registered
590 Posts
The thermostat in my thunderbird has done well over 140,000klms, it has never been changed, checked or even removed from it's little hole. Sometimes the fan comes on if I am in traffic and its over 30 degrees celsius. Doesnt prove the thermostat is working, it only tells me that the the thermistor in the fan circuit works. Coolant get changed ever couple of years. Its summer over there isnt it? Ride the damned thing a bit. Bikes are for riding not for fiddling with.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bikes are for riding not for fiddling with.
Coolant change is due, the supplies in hand, so if the thermostat is to be looked at, now is the time for me.

I have to flush it out to change coolant type so that would probably work better with the thermostat temporarily out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts