Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just changed the coolant on my 98 sprint sport and it is running very slightly on the hot side not much but more than my speedtriple'.
when I flushed the rad I took the thermostat out and can,t remember if I put it back with the small hole that's in the thermostat to the top as stated in factory manual. If put at bottom could this cause it to run a tad warmer ??
all the best john

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Thermostat

The hole in the top of the thermostat is an air bleed hole meant to let air pass thru when you are filling it. I have found when filling with coolant the slower you can go the better. I doubt it would make it run hotter being upside down, but take it for a good ride, let it cool some and check your expansion tank level (just below min. mark is good). If you install a new thermostat I would check it with hot water first as the last new one that I replaced would not open (brand new from Triumph). Which is a real pain in the arse if you have any kind of fairing on your bike.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will have a look to see if hole at top as it must be highest point in cooling system so any air that might be in system could be there causeing air lock ?
Bit of a pain haveing to take fairing of yet again but getting quicker at it all the time.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts