Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
He's always been on a Triumph because he had to have a fast reliable and very cool looking bike so it had to be a TRIUMPH , on other bike came even close, just like us with our BRITISH TRIUMPHS. :cool:

·
Registered
212 Posts
The hat was THE in thing back in the '50's and early '60's. There were many variations on the theme. The first one I had was in the mid- fifties, it was black with a white piping seam around the crown and a white visor. It had a winged wheel insignia on it. I was only a little guy then, but my older cousin who stored his Triumph in our basement for the winter and when he went in the army, always would have me get my hat and he'd sit me on his bike and encourage me to pretend I was riding the bike. The first time I twisted the throttle, I thought I broke it and was afraid to tell him.
Here in Illinois, which is not a helmet state, you still see the Harley riders, especially the old timers, with their "aviator caps" with the H-D winged bar insignia, and all of their AMA and tour pins stuck in them. I even saw a couple of guys wearing a blue version with the Meridan Triumph logo at the Springfield Mile last month. On some of them, you'll see a band that doubles as a chinstrap, or a drawstring to keep it from blowing away.
I recently purchased a "repro" H-D version at Davenport just to have for nostalgia sake! Wish I knew where to get a Triumph version.

BTW, I think it's hilarious that there are actually people that don't know that Marlon Brando was riding a Triumph in "The Wild One"! Next time you get the chance to watch the movie, check out the bikes closely. There are very few Harley's, even in Lee Marvin's "gang". Almost ALL of the bikes are British. The one thing I find amazing, there are NO Springfield Indians in the movie at all!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
On 2006-10-09 09:30, fuzzdevil wrote:
the wild one was the inspiration for me buying a triumph in the first place
My inspiration for buying a Triumph is the current bumper crop of Harley riders - but that's a different thread :-D

R

·
0 Posts
I fell in love with Triumphs due to watching this movie aprox. 20 years back! My vanity plates on my Bonnie read "BRMC".

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.