Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not the best for riding.

A major snow/ice storm descends on the Portland Metro area Saturday afternoon. First will be 6-10" of dry, blowing snow through Saturday night. Strong winds out of the Gorge develop as well, producing blizzard-like conditions out there.

By Sunday morning, freezing rain is likely as warmer air moves in above the cold air coming out of the Gorge.

For those of you who live in the Battle Ground/Hockinson areas, there is potential for damaging winds up to 60 mph Saturday night. In the west end of the Gorge there could be winds ranging from 60-80 mph, blizzard like conditions and 1-2 feet of snow by Monday morning. I would not be surprised if I-84 through the Columbia River Gorge closes by Sunday.

Years back on one of my Honda CB 500 a guy made me a set of studded snow tires for the bike I would take it any where during the winter. I would even strap my snow ski's and poles to it and head up to go skiing on Mt Hood.

I don't think I would ever do any thing like that again.

Just curious if any one else has ridden in the snow intentionally?

Sticks

·
29,948 Posts
Yeah - when I was in my mid twenties I had a beaten up GS850 that I used for everyday work. I never owned a car when I was in the UK, so I rode every day. I rode around in all weathers, and fell off that bike a few times as a result.

One particular time, I decided I could get past a truck (lorry) while going round a roundabout. I did, but hit a patch of ice. Didn't dump the bike, but ended up sliding sideways, with a large truck coming at me. Hit the kerb sideways - somehow the bike rode up the kerb, I rode through a pile of snow, down the next kerb and back onto the road and kept going.

Testament to the stability of the GS850, nothing whatsoever to do with my riding skills because I just about shat my pants. :eek:

Anyway, after that I stopped pulling stupid overtakeing maneuvers, and pretty much stopped riding in the snow.

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
I'm up here in Bellingham and this Sunday morning we had a fresh 6" on top of the snow from 2 days ago. Shoveled the drive clear and drove down the hill and got a paper and came home for a well earned breakfast. After all the shoveling this AM the meal was guilt free. It's started snowing again, but my next energy boost will come from a homebrew.

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
Sticks, be sure to keep us posted how the weather goes down there. Our neighborhood is really lucky because we seldom get the winds coming out of the Frazier that will be blowing less than a mile from us.

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
Pfffttt! A little bit of snow and you guys act like the world is going to end. IT IS WINTER- IT GETS COLD ADN IT SNOWS-EVERY YEAR!

It was sunny, cloudless day and the temp got up to -25C yesterday, so I went to the beach with my nephew.

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
Great Pics, they are appreciated! I for one, enjoy the snow. The problem is that all this snow could be ruining our reputation as the "Rainy Place". There's not too many things prettier than a fresh snowfall on the landscape and a clear blue sky and sunshine. Sure would hate to have folks think that happens here.:D

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
Great Pics, they are appreciated! I for one, enjoy the snow. The problem is that all this snow could be ruining our reputation as the "Rainy Place". There's not too many things prettier than a fresh snowfall on the landscape and a clear blue sky and sunshine. Sure would hate to have folks think that happens here.:D
"There's not too many things prettier than a fresh snowfall ...."
Unless you are the one shovelling it.

"...all this snow could be ruining our reputation as the "Rainy Place". "
You don't have to shovel rain!

At least the days start getting longer as of tomorrow. I really need a good blast on a bike.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WaBill,

I live in a wind tunnel I'm real close to the Columbia River Gorge. The Cascade mountain range separates the Willamette Vally where I live from the high desert just to the East.

Any time there is a pressure difference on ether side of the Cascades we get some pretty big wind. Over the last couple of days we have had gusts from the East over 60 Mph and have been recording 30-MPH at the house.

Looks like were in for a few more days of this stuff then it should be back to normal by the end of the week mid to upper 40's and rain.

Sticks

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
We are getting a good amount over here in Maine. I just got in from snow blowing about 8"+ on the ground and it is just starting to get heavy. It is suppose to snow all night. Oh boy!:D

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Yeah - when I was in my mid twenties I had a beaten up GS850 that I used for everyday work. I never owned a car when I was in the UK, so I rode every day. I rode around in all weathers, and fell off that bike a few times as a result.

I had to laugh when you said you had a beaten up GS850.. I had a GS 550 that had to be one of the most reliable bikes i've owned and the most informative bike too. Always knew what gear i was in and loved that oil port hole on the side. I abused that bike so bad and she never said never..lol

·
Banned
277 Posts
Its been snowing in Crested Butte for a week straight. At least inland snow is light for shovelling, though the wind we had on saturday was a bitch. Anyway, snowmobiles are fun toys, i mean, 700 two-stroke twin, how can you not like that?:D:eek::D

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
Well we had another 5 inches last night and unfortunately the weather's warmed up from the mid-teens to about 30*s. Darn stuff was not like the fluffy cold snow we had been getting but the heavy wet stuff. But who cares, we don't have to get anywhere.:)

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
Pfffttt! A little bit of snow and you guys act like the world is going to end. IT IS WINTER- IT GETS COLD ADN IT SNOWS-EVERY YEAR!

It was sunny, cloudless day and the temp got up to -25C yesterday, so I went to the beach with my nephew.
I got chill bumps and PTSD just looking at it! I haven't seen this since I was stationed at Shemya, Alaska. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr! Makes me want to just dive in and save myself.

Cheers
Jeff:motorbike2:

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
The temperatures dropped quite fast! I live right by the lake and I figured this year I should snap a few pics of the lake flash freezing, as some years it isn't so dramatic.

It has been hovering at freezing for a while now, which I find feels colder than -25C, as the moisture is still in the air at the lower temps, making everything damp and feeling really cold. At -25C, all the moisture is frozen out of the air and it is quite dry, which makes it feel not so bad. Of course, one must dress for the weather too!

Here's some "artsy" B&W and sepia snaps:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts