Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a new cafe racer in the family! My wife got a Ducati Sport 1000.

We did a little fender elimination and used an old license plate from Arizona to figure out where to put that. Plus Staintune pipes. The stock ones are all black.

Should be good times.

[ This message was edited by: Caffeinated on 2006-11-19 18:13 ]

·
Registered
30 Posts
Now you are really in the s$it as you will have to spend big dollars on the trumpy so you can keep up with the wife.
2 very cool bikes

·
Registered
375 Posts
that bike is beautiful. I just wish the seat and the cowl were thinner. i actually looked at one before i got the thruxton. it was a really hard choice. At least she will let you ride it.(hopefully)

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
At least she got one of the pre-bipostos before they dumbed down the concept. Very nice

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She had the dealer in Ft. Collins search all over for an 06. She's not a big fan of the changes they made, preferring the single shock, solo seat and the way the pipes run up double on the right.
The 07 comes with 4 inch higher clip-ons, and they actually included those, so we have both.

In effect, with all the changes, Ducati made a limited edition of this bike. It might mean something one day, and it might not. But this bike is going to be ridden. We're not rich enough to be collectors.

And no, I can't keep up with her. But that's nothing new.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've ridden it enough to have a first impression.

My first impression is that it's light and powerful. It's much lighter than the Thrux. Not only in pounds, but it feels lighter because the center of gravity is lower. The stock silencers are about 35 lbs. The Staintunes shave about 15 pounds off that.

So the Duc picks up easy and steering is very light. Power is great, I felt like I could wheelie easily. Stopping is just as impressive. The riding position is more committed than the Thrux, your hands are lower than your butt. Well, that's changed for '07, the new model has higher clip-ons.

We haven't messed with suspension yet. It came set pretty hard, Kate was not very comfortable on our short ride in the cold today. But the rear shock is fully adjustable - Showa. We should be able to dial it all in pretty well. The front is a Showa inverted fork but it's only adjustable for preload.

It's got a couple of cool features. The ignition is disabled unless you use the right key, it has a chip in it. It's fuel injected and the starter is computer controlled, so you push the start button and let go. It cranks until it starts and for a revolution or two more, determined by the ECM. The sales guy said it ensures a first time start, prevents flooding, yada yada. We've had some trouble getting first time starts, but we are told that changes as the engine breaks in.

The solo seat comes off easily with the key and has a neat storage compartment under it. I don't know if the 07's have it, since they have two-up seats now with a removable cowl.

The stock rear fender is horrible so we took it off. The stock tail light and turn signals are super bright LED. We replaced them with an aftermarket LED, designed for a Honda CBR, that has the tail, brake and turn signals integrated into one unit. I had to make a mounting bracket, but it was easy.

All in all a great bike. I'm glad she bought it and I hope to ride it a lot.

But here's why I still like my Thruxton better: It was $4000 cheaper and only about 20 HP less. It's not fuel injected and I like that. The valve adjustment interval is 12,000 miles instead of 6000 miles for the Ducati. If I take it in for the adjustments, they are cheaper.

My Thruxton sounds better.

The t-shirts are cooler.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Beatiful pictures and you are a lucky man to have two great cafe racers in the family.

The new Duc is cool looking but IMO your gorgeous Thrux really holds up very well side by side. Specifically the Thrux's Black Reverse cones, cool classic gas tank, less modern seat, gators make the Thrux a better retro pic in terms of style.

Both bikes very cool though. It's going to be interesting to hear how things go in terms of the long term comparison of the two.

[ This message was edited by: ChuckofTahoe on 2006-11-23 08:18 ]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts