Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to ride a white street triple when the demo truck came to my local dealer in Livermore California. I was not very impressed by the suspension on the demo bike and found it to be pretty harsh and ill controlled on the test route. This coupled with the very sensitive throttle meant it was a bit of a handful on the bumpy Canyon roads. One of the Triumph guys said that the bike wasnt really setup for these type of roads. Several other people I talked to at the event had the same feedback as me.
Given that I ride this type of roads perhaps 90% of the time and the suspension isnt adjustable can I expect the same type of ride if I go out and buy a Street Triple or was the demo bike badly setup and perhaps knackered?

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Not set up for that kind of road? Well, I can't imagine your roads are any worse than our county roads here in Kansas, so I don't know if I can offer you any reassurances on that. There is also the possibility that the feel simply isn't what you're accustomed to; the conventional Street is a naked standard, not a stripped down sportbike, after all.

But remember, there is the adjustable alternative: the Street Triple R. Did they not have any of those in the truck?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They didnt have an R unfortunately. I havent ridden a true sportsbike for a few years since I sold my Kawasaki ZX6R and Daytona 955i. Since then I have had a mad mix of of a Speed Triple, KLR650, DRZ400SM, Bonneville T100, Tiger 1050 so I have experience of quite a range of bikes on the roads I did the test ride on. I rode to the event on my 1050 Tiger down the same roads.
I recently rode a KTM Superduke on the same roads and was blown away by how well it handled but the price tag is huge and it isnt a triple :)
I was puzzled how my impressions didnt seem to match any of the reviews I have read on the Street Triple. Motorcycle.com were absolutely spot on on their opinions on the handling of the 1050 Tiger so I dont think its because I am a crap rider (but you never know).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just demo'd a Street Triple R and a Speed Triple. I gotta say, as I too have ridden a various amount of nakeds and sportbikes, the Street R was a blast! The suspension was loads better than the regular striple. I had a blast on it. Between the ST3 and the Striple, I find it really hard to choose between a powerful literbike with gobs of torque or a lightweight canyon carver with a little less power... So hard to choose... but the suspension on the R is much better!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I rode a green one on a pretty lame selection of roads at the Orange County demo. No twisties at all. I thought the suspension was downright plush compared to the only other bike I had ridden before that (lowered HD 1200). I also rode a Speed Triple right afterward. Both were great; I want the Speed but know it's way too much motor for me. The Street is probably too much for me, too, but I'm going to buy it anyway. I can't wait! :D

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I just rode the R at the demo days in Brea, CA. They led us up into Brea canyon and I gotta say I'm trying to figure out how I'm gonna buy one. Awesome bike.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Well done! I see you have a Tiger, too. I test rode one at the demo. Nice bike, but the striple caught my attention for sure.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I can tell you I love my bike, until I get on bumpy roads, then I start hating it.

It's bouncy, and shakes my man boobs... that hurts. It rattles my brain, and I can't keep the throttle steady.

On smooth roads, it's a teriffic vehicle. Even the R1, which I hated every bit of, was better on bumpy roads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts