Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
designed the airbox on the Trophy -#&*@#%$& you.

While the design is wonderfully strong, probably stronger than many entire bikes are made today, I sure hope that engineeer was prompty let go, never to design anything for a motorcycle again.

It is crazy to have to drop the carbs or otherwise go through the gyrations to change out such a routine maintenance item. I bet a lot of Trophy would be running much better if the air cleaner were much easier to change.

In the end, I simply cut off the 4 inside screw mounts on the bottom, and voila, it comes out quite a bit easier without touching the carbs. This modification does not affect airbox sealing since the darn thing is so rigid.

After looking at my old air cleaner I wonder how the bike even ran. It was running perfectly though, clean idle, no stutering or dead spots and getting 45-50mpg with 20/39 sprockets.

All it would have taken the engineering genius was to make the flanges the same as the carbs and this would have been a piece of cake. What was that fool thinking? I know, service dealer revenue!

Thanks for reading, I just had to get this off my chest since now my knees, knuckles and back feel like they've gone though Attila the Hun's welcome party.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just cut the back plate in half vertically. I can take the airbox off easily without disturbing the carbs. Loads of people do this - search for air box mod on the yahoo groups Trophy page

1 - 3 of 3 Posts