Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

161 - 180 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Yeah Tom, as soon as you posted I thought "Dear God, please tell me I bought the right cams,". Nope. Sure didn't. My impulsive side is also 360 degrees around.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Good, yes, right.

Replaced the rear brake caliper with a used one ($13 thank you very much) because "gutentight" is probably not the torque spec to use on a bleeder screw.

And then took him for a little romp to test the work and finally bed in the pads. Amazing what it feels like to have a rear brake again. He is running quite well, what with the carbs balanced and everything else. I need to put him on a scale at some point to see what he weighs now with all the modifications and stock Triumph fruffery gone to the wayside. Certainly fun and fast, way faster than I am. So I think now time will be spent dipping him into corners and long, hard sweepers so we can find our collective comfort zones.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Firstly, an update. Ted has to stay outside now. I've moved in with my girlfriend and there is no room for bikes in the condo. Such is life. Ted is OK with it now that item 4 is taken care of though.

1. Well, first I bought an adapter pin (#6 to be precise) for my Pitbull stands so I could get Ted up off the ground for little bit of maintenance.

2. Then I agonized over what oil to buy, whether to get the Rotella 15W40 stuff for diesels (had the right API rating but no JASO rating) or to just grab 4 quarts of Castrol 20W50 4T oil. Ended up getting the Castrol. Didn't change the filter as it's only been 2500 miles since my last change but has been 6 months. Standard winter oil change.

3. Cleaned him up, discovered the "cold" San Antonio weather had him sitting at 10 and 15 psi in the front and rear tires respectively. Fixed that.

4. Took him a bit to start, but luckily I had tapped into the parking lot nighttime light circuit to run a couple trickle chargers (no outlets in the parking lot, which is stupid) sealed in a weatherproof plastic box. I had tried a solar panel with the proper controller, but it didn't work worth a crap for two bikes so my stealth vampire tap on the parking lot's night light circuit did the trick.

5. Fresh oil, freshly cleaned meant a little rip around downtown and then settled for a pint to stay and a growler to go at Kuenstler Brewing. A pretty good day, all told.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #165 (Edited)
Welp, got a new addition.

Tired of the blow by issue so I've ordered a spare set of cylinder barrels to use for a 904cc upgrade. I'm 90% sure I'm going with the wiseco 10.5:1 kit versus the TTP 12.5:1 simply because I don't like that high of a compression ratio on an air cooled motor. Especially in Texas where it gets wubba hot. Not a lot of margin for error.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Read through your entire thread, liked what you did. Got my mechanic juices flowing to mod my Bonneville. You the man, keep it rolling.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Ted. *** has been going on lately?

Well, not a lot friends and family there in TCP/IP land.

My owner has been busy sorting his life out. He's about to take his vampiric ex-wife back to court to get his alimony reduced. God forbid a grown-arse adult had to actually provide for herself..... Ummm.....he's moved in with his girlfriend and they don't have room for the bikes inside their condo. As a result, he spliced into the HOA's outdoor parking light system to run a couple trickle chargers when the light sensors trip on. Shhh...don't tell anyone.

What else...yup, new seat up there. My rider is much more comfortable and that is important.

Oh, he got me a present. A 904cc kit is about to arrive which will bump me up in CCs and fix this ridiculous blow-by issue. The byotch of it is that he expected everything to be here by now, but it's not. So he is going to throw my in the back of his truck and take me to Arizona for the lung transplant. It should be fun staying in Bisbee. I've never been, but he likes that town.

Ummm....let's see. Oh, he got me a new taillight from Joker Machine. Looks much better than that cheapo dim smoked one he got from AJ Cycles. Nothing against those guys, they are nice and bought all my old front end parts, but their $38 taillight blows donkey dick. This new one from Joker is really nice. Pics tomorrow, I promise.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
Feckless mummers.

Brake light portion failed as soon as I plugged it in. Now to deal with the less-than-communicative Amazon seller for a refund/exchange.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
If you have already dropped the money on the wiseco 904 kit my advice is get an oil temp guage, even if its the oil filler cap type. The iron liners of the wiseco kit don't transfer the extra heat as well as the plated barrels do. Especially in hot climates or if you use the extra power often.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
It's not a Wiseco kit. It's a re-bored stock cylinder that is relined with Nikasil and then runs Arias pistons.

Plus ref an oil temp gauge, I am unlikely to look at it again after the first two weeks and especially not when I'm moving. Good advice, but I'm not too concerned about oil temps with this setup or really in general due to the oil cooler and tuning to keep the bike as cool as possible.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Right. 904cc kit installed. A little kerfuffle with the setting the timing after reassembly and it seems my neutral and sidestand cutoff circuit got a little dodgy. Nothing a quick cam disassembly and a paperclip to bypass the sidestand switch couldn't fix though.

Ted runs again, he runs well. The 904 kit is fun but not earth shattering. Much to my chagrin I still have the same blowby issue. Boy am I bummed. Like wubba bummed.

I tried what I thought would be my ace in the hole. That was sectioning the breather tube to just let it poot pressure into the primary case and then the vent would evac the pressure but minus the oil. Yeah. So much for that. Didn't make a dang bit of difference. Still spat just as much oil, if not a little more. <Sigh>.

So I made a quick Budlight catch can - I threw my other one away because wishful thinking - and ordered a new breather tube ($185 thanks), a new centrifugal breather and a new breather seal. If it still spits oil after this, I will no longer care. The Budlight catch can works good enough.

Here he is at the car wash, getting the evidence of the blowby issue rediscovery taken care of. Valves are little noisier now too, so I guess its more than time for an adjustment/re-shim anyway. I don't think its ever been done.

And I move to the UK for a year in two weeks. Wee! Ted is not coming with.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
Sigh. Forgot to set the cam gear lash during reassembly. So I did that yesterday (much quieter now) while replacing the centrifugal breather, pipe and seal.

Boy was I bummed when I snapped the exhaust cam oil banjo bolt off in the cam cap. So I made a new one, got the broken piece out, and put everything back together.

Started him up, saw oil pooping out the breather tube and got mad.

Took him for a little 40 mile jaunt. At the end, the tube was dry. Huh. Rode back home. Still dry.

I may have fixed it with the last volley of shots from the old parts cannon.

Gonna take a ride to Austin tomorrow and that will make or break my hypothesis.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Looks like the new breather kit did the job - the oil that came out of the breather when you started up was probably residual

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Agreed on the residual. What is interesting to me is that there are no discernible moving parts in the centrifugal breather. They appear to either work (or not) via some sort of black magic.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Agreed on the residual. What is interesting to me is that there are no discernible moving parts in the centrifugal breather. They appear to either work (or not) via some sort of black magic.
AFAIK it spins off the crank and separates the oil and air, allowing the oil to flow back to the crank and the air to escape upwards.

On my old 1973 T100P the breather pipe was routed to the rear to beside the licence plate. No filtering or centrifuge, just a pressure valve on the pipe. No health a safety back then.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
The tank is bubbling along quite nicely, I'll probably pull it tomorrow and scrub the outside down.

Took Ted for a quick little rip today. I had my life in my hands because I was missing one of the rubber tips for my Ram mount. Well, wouldn't you know it but a quick acceleration from 60 to 85 saw that Samsung S8+ go flying off into the wilderness after a couple pavement bounces. Luck was with me and I found it with no real damage aside from a scuffed case.

Snapped a couple photos afterwards. I really dig the new Cibie headlight and the new choke knob I rescued from a pizza oven at an abandoned restaurant in Sardinia.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The tank is bubbling along quite nicely, I'll probably pull it tomorrow and scrub the outside down.

Took Ted for a quick little rip today. I had my life in my hands because I was missing one of the rubber tips for my Ram mount. Well, wouldn't you know it but a quick acceleration from 60 to 85 saw that Samsung S8+ go flying off into the wilderness after a couple pavement bounces. Luck was with me and I found it with no real damage aside from a scuffed case.

Snapped a couple photos afterwards. I really dig the new Cibie headlight and the new choke knob I rescued from a pizza oven at an abandoned restaurant in Sardinia.

View attachment 724999 View attachment 725000 View attachment 725001
Lookin' good - especially with
"the new choke knob I rescued from a pizza oven at an abandoned restaurant in Sardinia."

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
Yeah, that was a great couple weeks. I love that country and we are going to go back for an extended stay once all this crazy clears up.

A couple unedited shots of the aforementioned restaurante'

161 - 180 of 222 Posts