Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

141 - 160 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Oh Triumph Twin Power. You sneaky, legally careful devils.

On a whim I bought their "Blue Flame Ignition Coil" to match my other ignition components and because I was having the weird stumble which ending up being an out-of-whack TPS.

I'm futzing with things this morning on the front end swap and decided to install my "fancy" new coil. Which is just a factory Gill unit with a sticker and the "Gill" mark sanded off.

TTP Blue Flame on the left, OEM Gill on the right.

So I essentially paid $80 for a sticker. I'm a little miffed right now, but this has probably already been covered in the forum I didn't do my research carefully. A quick look at the product description on TTP's site shows:

The TTP Blue Flame ignition coils are specifically designed to match the electrical requirements of the Triumph OEM and TTP Fire Starter igniter units. They produce a nice strong spark which is more than adequate for use with a tuned engine as well as a standard engine.

The Blue Flame coils are available with dual high-tension outputs for the Bonneville, T100 and Thruxton (1 x required) and with a single high-tension output for the America, Speedmaster and Scrambler (2 x required).

System matched with the OEM and Fire Starter igniter units.
5% discount on twin coils for the America, Speedmaster or Scrambler
TTP 18 Month Warranty

Well of course they are matched with the OEM. Because they are OEM. Shady shady.

Now before all you TTP fanboys hop on here in their defense, I've been impressed with all their other products that I own (igniter, Airbox removal kit). But this is misleading. Not false advertising, just misleading.
A bit shocked and deffo disappointed by that.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Snuck home while I have some down time from my gig in Dallas and did a little work on Ted.

Wired up and fitted my GPS speedo and sorted out where to mount the phone holder. Texting and riding is important.

2. I plumbed my catch can back into the sump because Ted spits too much raw oil. Problem solved.

3. And then I duct tape and baler twined on the new smoked taillight.

Muchos gracias to A&J Cycles (supporting vendor) for the gauge bracket and tail!

·
Registered
72 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Great thread. Love the photography, especially the post-industrial backgrounds. :)

Thanks for your positive comment on my resto' project of a repatriation from your rust belt. Ha!!

https://www.triumphrat.net/members-restoration-and-rebuild-projects/901634-t120r-1972-bonneville-from-carnival-clown-to-the-best-in-town.html
Should be plenty of post-industrial background opportunities with a move to the Midlands in the UK! Great part of the country (where I grew up) with the friendliest people and some fantastic riding in easy reach. Enjoy!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Should be plenty of post-industrial background opportunities with a move to the Midlands in the UK! Great part of the country (where I grew up) with the friendliest people and some fantastic riding in easy reach. Enjoy!
Thanks!

This will be my second time out there. I lived just south of Peterborough from 05-08. I think we'll be near Bedford or Luton this time as my girl will be working out of RAF Chicksands.

·
Registered
2017 Bonneville T120 Black
383 Posts
Rather to the south of what I think of as the Midlands (which I live pretty much in the middle of) - short of post-industrial backgrounds. Handy for the Chiltern Hills and visiting Bletchley Park though. If you want post-industrial, try Wolverhampton - about 50% of it is derelict (cue outraged cries from Wolves dwellers).

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Well, I am a yank, still say aluminum and wrench - and at the end of the day, it's hard for me to geographically separate a country that is smaller than the state I currently live in.

Will definitely be steady exploring with a camera in hand and my girl at my side while we are there, so thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Rather to the south of what I think of as the Midlands (which I live pretty much in the middle of) - short of post-industrial backgrounds. Handy for the Chiltern Hills and visiting Bletchley Park though. If you want post-industrial, try Wolverhampton - about 50% of it is derelict (cue outraged cries from Wolves dwellers).
It's grim up north! so they say. But on the East Coast of Yorkshire where I am it isn't too bad. The big Northern Cities are worth a visit, I always fly the flag for Manchester, my home town.

If I was you though I would give post-industrial a swerve, we we have pretty much post everything, Iron Age, Roman, Saxon, Norman, Medieval, We even have the real pre-Colonial Boston, you could call for a tea party!! If you are here for a while get an Historic Houses card, not very well known and quite inexpensive, it gives access to some of the best "Stately" homes in Britain.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
I will not give it a swerve, good friend! We plan to bask in everything. My girl and I are both high-energy/adventure types and don't really sit still much so we'll be constantly on the go experiencing life.

Got ye olde carb tuner in the post today and dialed in the Tedster's carbs. Going to rebuild his brake rear brake caliper in a few minutes as well.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Oh this is so much fub.

Not fun. But fub.

Discovered why my rear brake was spongy all the time.

So I replaced the line and while bleeding the rear brake, I did this.

Perfect. Fub.

At least club kids wreck ZX-6's all day every day so a new (to me) rear caliper was $13, but still. Frustrating.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
(Speedfoos) When you earlier said Speedmaster donor cams I was thinking they were all 270 degree. I looked in my shop manual specs and the 790's do have a nice cam. I think there is a thread on here about 790 cams. If I remember right the first year bikes had the best cams.
Tom

141 - 160 of 222 Posts