Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

181 - 200 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
OK, so we're done with mods again for a little bit. Ted's tank is swapped out and most of the issues are cleared. I am having a little part throttle surging that is new but I have couple things to sort through to figure that out. Easy enough. May just be bad gas, could be some of the tank gunge is stuck in a carb passage, petcock filter may be gummy. Dunno, but its new and I haven't touched the carbs. Once I run this tank of gas out, I will break out the tools if it still continues. Full throttle is nice and strong. And it's not tank evap.

Regardless, as I said in the WDYDTYT thread, I installed the British Customs aluminum swing arm farkles as so:

Neat. They do absolutely nothing.

But the tank looks quite nice and I'm pretty jazzed at where the bike started when I bought it two years ago and where I am now.

Then:

Now:

Next I guess is cleaning up the tank and moving it, the cowl and the side covers along to someone else. That LED headlight too.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
As stated in the WDYDTYTT thread, took Ted out for his next shakedown after my carb changes. Quite happy. First it was a beautiful morning. I took some parts to the Post Office and then just kept going for another 50 miles or so. The bike was running great, weather fantastic, no one on the roads I was on. Magical.

For the records, carbs are set up as follows now

o Stock Thruxton needle
o one shim each
o 42 pilot, 155 main
o mixture screws are both one turn out
o 3mm air hole in the top of the slide
o TTP Stage 3 iginiter map

Idles perfect, rumble pops on closed throttle plate decel and power everywhere I want it. I am chuffed. Now some photos

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #184 (Edited)
Right. Big shout out to Ripper for two things.

1. Coming up with the diagrams and such for the keyless ignition here:

2. And being a solid citizen for quickly responding to my questions when I was sussing out the wiring.

All in all, a pretty easy mod now that I've got my head around it. As par for the course, I am handsy when it comes to working on Ted. I've been wanting to get after his harness to shorten it and delete all of the plugs of assorted and sundry safety devices that I have disabled.

Clutch safety switch? Gone.
Sidestand safety switch? Ain't nobody got time for that.
Neutral light? My left big toe is my neutral light.
Oil pressure light? Meh. The GPS speedo did not come provisioned, so I check my oil regularly.
Carb bowl heaters? Duh. Global warming. Plus Texas. Equals ignorance and Covid-19 case number spikes.
Air Injection? Long gone.

Plus I relocated the regulator to under the seat a long time ago which meant a lot of excess wire.

So here we go. PSA. That's Public Service Announcement. Don't use vinyl electrical tape on a harness. Ever. Even if it is expensive and high quality. It will still turn your wires into a dirty, sticky mess.

I almost bought a new harness because I hate that stuff so much.

After a little bit of futzing with the harness on the bike, I determined it would be much easier to just removed it completely to sort everything. Bring on the wire cutters cuz its bobber time!

Here we are getting things under control.

Version 2 on the keyless box. Two relays, one single channel 12V remote chip thing and a Deutsch waterproof plug. V1 was just wires to ensure it worked.

Side note: that plastic sleeving is money. It slips on existing wire because it is like a roll and you don't need to try and fit it over plugs. Really nice. About $1/foot at the local electrical supply.

I'm sure other people's underseat area is cleaner, but I have more things under here now. Eventually I will clean up the taillight wiring as well to delete the unnecessary bullet plugs, but I am tired of wiring for now.

And some side shots. Not as clean as it would be if I started completely from scratch, but I am still happy with it.

And finally, a triumphant (I see what I did there) video.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
LOL - "someone has been in there before you and destroyed something or hacked something up,"

I truly almost feel bad for Ted's next owner if and when that comes about.

That said, yes, this is not my first rodeo on wiring harnesses. I think I have three big toolboxes full of electrical tools, supplies, 50,000 different sizes of heat shrink and so on. A good set of crimping pliers are a life saver.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If only YouTube was around in the 1980s when I had my old 1973 T100P.

Would have saved me a lot of grief.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #188 (Edited)
Final piece arrived today and installed with typical flawless fitment from Cognito Moto. Custom aluminum fender, oh and that altrider rack I've been coveting for a while now.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Great job - just noticing the colour of the header pipes - I take it they are stainless. They age better than the chrome.

When I had the Thruxton I used to have to Solvol them to tone down the blueing.

Looks really cool.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Thanks, they are stainless. TEC 2-1 that I am really happy with. It's funny that it usually takes me about two years to work out all the kinks on a project like this.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
Ugh. I've got a weird electrical issue to figure out. Went to ride Ted two days ago and got the relay "click" when I pushed the start button. Huh. This has happened a couple times since I rewired the bike, but I would normally just jostle the main starter relay and things would be fine. Not this time.

Grabbed my industrial strength jumper wire, jumped the solenoid contacts and Ted started just fine. Weird. OK, will sort this later.

Riding down a bumpy blacktop road at about 65-70 and my electrical (and bike) would completely cut out, then come back on. All by itself. Weird. Did this 4-5 times, and it stopped when I slowed to 55-60 and watched the bumps. Really weird.

Got to the gym, had my bags smoked by hypertrophy leg day - so many front squats, dead lifts and back squats - and went to go home. Same deal, jumped with the wire and vrooom.

This time I have no lights (any) or horn, but the bike runs and the speedo power works. Illum does not. Weird. Bike runs like a scalded dog per usual. About 20 minutes into my ride home, everything works again. Double weird.

I get home and start poking around. Swapped out all three 5-pin relays (2 in the remote ignition, 1 the main starter relay). And no change. Except one, nothing works now. No lights, no gauge, no horn, no starter button relay tick - which I was consistently getting. Thinking the culprit is my new remote start, i unplug it and jumper the proper two wires to simulate closing the ignition circuit. Nothing still works, but I can see the wire heating up. OK, a short somewhere.

Maybe I pinched a wire in the hand controls somehow when monkeying about up there?

Nope.

And that's where I am at. About to strip the loom off and visually inspect and test every line with a multimeter. I can't imagine it being one of the primary electrical components - stator, ignitor, coil or regulator. The starter works, I will test the starter solenoid and I already tested all my relays. The new keyless mod is not suspect because the problem remains even when that is cut out of the loop.

Happy to hear any suggestions, but I don't think many read this thread anymore and I haven't gotten to the point of asking for help directly yet.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Is the ignition cable being stretched at any point? Sounds like a break in the ignition cable.

I had a similar problem with my Street Triple a few years ago No indicators, tail light , horn

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
Good suggestion and I've checked it.

So I've run a multimeter over the entire harness at this point. Continuity where it is supposed to be, no nicked wires, no stretch when plugged in to everything but not installed. No high resistance on any circuit.

Starter solenoid works when bench tested.
All relays work as normal when bench tested - even the blinker does what it is supposed to.

I am going to check the hand control wiring next. I loosened then but have not looked at everything.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
Long time no update means things are working correctly, yeah? So an update for posterity's sake.

I sorted the wiring issue. Turns out it was a miniscule nick in a ground wire that was causing my issue. A real booger to find. But it also let me really dig into the wiring and remove a lot of superfluous plugs and pigtails. Done, made the new wiring diagrams to account for my work and he runs great with the keyless ignition circuit.

Umm...wrapped the header pipes, it looks nice.

Spent some time on the rear wheel. Dropped the 41T sprocket because I took the time to find a proper 43T one. Now Ted is back to stock gearing (18T/43T). Nice grunty bump in the seat dyno and the rear gets squirrelly a bit more often now.

I re-adjusted my rear caliper mounting bits as the clearance between rear brake bracket and rotor was a little too tight. Much better.

Then I disassembled and cleaned my front calipers. There was nasty jelly in all four secondary piston wells Lord knows how long that had been in there and I know it was affecting my braking performance a lot. I had pulsing and dissimilar engagement that was simply unpleasant at best. No new parts needed as all the seals were still good. All it required was about two hours of time, some green scrubbies, a little brake cleaner and simple green and some new fluid. I buttoned it all up and made sure everything spun freely and was aligned properly - thanks Dave Moss Tuning!) as shown in this video.

And only one recent photo after doing the exhaust wrap (DEI Titanium). Thanks for stopping by!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
Got to ride Devil's Backbone a couple times over the last few days now that winter storm Uri is over and I have utilities again. Gah. What a nightmare for folks. I was 'lucky' in that I only did without water in the house for a week (thank you hot water heater for providing drinkable water) and I was by myself. Needless to say we're leaving Texas for good as my house got a good offer and I am going through that process.

I spent about an hour and half cleaning the dust and crap off Ted today. And I was thinking about something funny.

I took the MSF Intermediate course several years ago on Fort Bragg before I retired. There was a mix of people in the course, but one guy stuck out - not in a good way. He was a stereotypical white SOF GB, inferiority complex bigger than his hat size, wearing his SF Brotherhood cut and riding a Dyna straight out of Sons of Anarchy. Blech.

Anyway, I had a Dyna at the time as well that I had done some work to - cams, tune, suspension, breather stuff, and powder coat. I really liked that bike and rode it a lot. Regardless, being the nice guy that I am, I tried to strike up a conversation with this wonderturd and asked how he liked his Dyna and if he had done anything to it - aside from attack it with some flat black paint, a couple hankies tied to it and the rest of the SoA accessory pack.

He said the bike was cammed like a mf'er. Having just installed of set of cams myself, I asked him which ones. The biggest ones you can get without replacing the valve springs. <sigh>. So much for that.

The instructor had picked up on his persona as well and asked some leading questions about his riding style and experience. One of which was "Yeah and you only wash it when it rains, am I right?". To which the turd responded without a resounding, "Heck yeah."

I was thinking about this while I was hand washing and detailing Ted on the paddock stands. I don't care about that dude, he was living the best life he knew how. But, I guess there is a practical reason I like spending time cleaning and detailing anything mechanical that I own. You spot little issues before they can become big ones. Loose bolts, wire contact issues, the list goes on. You simply won't find them - and neither will the service department - if you don't take the time to put your hands on the bike.

Just thought I would share that stream of consciousness I had today.

Here are some photos of Ted from today and one of my old Dyna, Angel.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Glad you were able to get out there and that you are safe and well.

Good story too; I don't wash my truck pretty much ever but my bikes get cleaned pretty regularly. Usually it's after doing some amount of maintenance. It's a lot like vacuuming too, can't clean one little spot without doing the rest.

Where you headed to?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
We are heading to Joshua Tree, CA. We like to climb (ice and rock) and that's really hard to do in Texas without taking an entire day to get there. I hate Texas for that (and a few other things). So we're out at the end of next month.

I'm kind of with you on the truck thing at this point. I keep the interior clean but the exterior only gets it if I have a lot of mud in the wheel wells. Mud traps moisture which makes rust. Habits formed from my time in the UP are hard to break I guess. Salt and water were the enemies. The last couple trucks I had before this one were 4x2 mall crawlers and I kept them in a high state of shine. Then again I also lived on paved roads in North Carolina at the time.

This one. LOL. An engine rebuild, converted from auto to manual - this was actually fun to do - a rear end replacement. Blah blah blah. The previous owner changed the oil twice in 85,000 miles I think.

Then this one. Fun, but big. 4x2 with an open differential so it never saw dirt because it was too big and grunty for its own drive train. So I lowered it a week after driving off the dealership. Great handling at that point, drove like a car. But its gone too.

Now that I have a 4x4 Tacoma, I care for it, but it does not get the level of exterior detail attention I used to do on my vehicles.

181 - 200 of 222 Posts