Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day fellas,

Firstly to Ohiorider, mate your post titled "help me understand" has got me fired up. I don't want to hijack your thead so I'd ask everyone to reply on your thread and not on mine.

Guys go over and have a read of it and let's get your comments on the 'sixty8' range. I think it'll be an interesting range of responses. Personally I reckon the stuff's rubbish but hey, I might be missing the point and totally out of touch!

Cheers,

Russ

·
Registered
421 Posts
:jest: :puke:

Nope, don't like it... Overdone, though Austin might likey. YEAH Baby!

[ This message was edited by: boboso on 2006-09-26 20:29 ]

·
Registered
82 Posts
I don't find anything nice there, except the black valve caps.
I prefer the stuff Michael and Brent offer.

·
Registered
194 Posts
It's of no interest to me. I think my bike ('05 goodwood green Bonnie) looks pretty good as is. Any money I spend goes into functional things (e.g. TORs and rejetting earlier this year). I am kind of partial to flyscreens, which is probably 50% cosmetic and 50% functional...

And if anyone ever catches me putting YELLOW cam covers on my bike, please shoot me!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I saw some of the 68 stuff on bikes at the dealer, and I thought it looked better in person than in the pictures.

I didn't buy any of it, though...the bikes are great looking as they come, and I will spend my money on performance and functional mods at this point.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I didn't get it. Just had no strong feelings one way or the other. It made no impression...

Mare
(a girl)

[ This message was edited by: MA0458 on 2006-10-02 07:05 ]

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Believe you're thinking of Paul Smart.

BTW SCC, did you have the pipes on your B Black done, or did you purchase them already jetcoated black? I've never been a fan of black exhausts until I saw them on your all black Bonnie. The touch of aluminium on the reverse cones sets it off nicely.

Are those pipes/mufflers D&D (or other?)

One other question - are there any special maintenance issues involved in keeping the black engine cases looking good?

Bob

·
Registered
486 Posts
On 2006-09-27 20:06, ohiorider wrote:
You're thinking of Paul Smith. This is Paul Smith.

This is a Paul Smith Bonnie (which I actually like)

This is Paul Smart.

This is the Ducati Paul Smart 1000 (which I like even more)

:wink:

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
On 2006-09-27 20:06, ohiorider wrote:

BTW SCC, did you have the pipes on your B Black done, or did you purchase them already jetcoated black? I've never been a fan of black exhausts until I saw them on your all black Bonnie. The touch of aluminium on the reverse cones sets it off nicely.

Are those pipes/mufflers D&D (or other?)

One other question - are there any special maintenance issues involved in keeping the black engine cases looking good?

Bob
The pipes are actually painted, as is the silencers. The pipes are stock, the silencers are predators...they are stainless. Just soap n water on the engine cases, maybe a little detail spray.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Ducati Paul Smart 1000
I've seen one in person.
They are the business. They're also $15,000 (msrp). A fine piece of classy kit. The pictures don't really do the bike justice.
I've ridden a sport1000 and they are sweeeet. The things go like hell , stop just as well and turn on a dime. They are a little bigger than a Bonnie so they fit me a little better. Plenty comfy too.
If you ever get a chance to ride one, take it. They'll have to beat the grin off your face with a stick.

If I every get another bike it is a toss up between an S3 or Sport1000. Unless Norton ever gets its act together.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Orpheus - thanks for straightening me out. Somehow, I confused Smith and Smart. My apologies to Paul Smart, wherever he is.

BTW - Beautiful photo of the Paul Smart 1000. If I thought I could get on and off this beauty without physical assistance, I'd love to own it, if only to go into the garage to look at it several times a day. To me, the retro Ducs are lovely bikes.

Bob

·
Registered
866 Posts
A little bit of charity here boys -

If money wasn't an objective, I'd be picking up one of the 68 seats and the clear front sproket cover at least. I for one applaud Triumph for trying to build out the products and accessories available for a bike that clearly lives or dies on its heritage/image value.

Its like live music - if we don't support it, it could just go away and I don't think any of us want that.

P

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
I sure don't get it either. I'm old enough to remember the real '68 like it was yesterday and nothing in the new Triumph '68 collection has anything to do with the Brit Bikes of the late 60's. I think boboso has it right. It is more like a fantasy 60's that never was - ala Austin Powers.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I bought a set of fork gaitors from the collection, I figure since I'll be pulling the forks to change the oil when my new springs show up I might as well slip the gaitors on there as well. The added visual bulk should complement the added bulk of the Hagon Nitro's on the back and balance out pretty well. Plus they'll keep the stanchions from getting nicked and make the seals last longer.

Not impressed either way with the rest of the stuff, I guess the flat seat with the light grey top and white piping looks correct from back then. I like the ISDT stuff you can get for the Scrambler.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Nothing in there for the Thruxton, that I saw. If they made a cam cover that looked more like the Meriden bikes, I might give that a go.
Another thing they should make is a rear fender stay loop, ala the Meriden bikes. And a fuel tank with the original lines and NO SEAM all around the ***** thing. That really annoys me. I keep thinking of getting the grinder and welding tanks out and having at it, but I will have to wait until I get a beat up tank to play with.

·
Registered
733 Posts
If you look at '68' in the context of Triumph's marketing overall, it kinda makes sense. It seems like Triumph is positioning the brand towards a younger, hipper, more metro target. Look at the people on their website...sex in the city! Definitely differentiating versus Harley and the Japanese crotch rockets, and the people that love them. I'm cool with that, but it is definitely capturing something that never actually existed. 1968 was about napalm.

All that being said, I'd rather chew on tinfoil than slap yellow camcovers on my bike.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.