Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well in crappy weather here in the uk and has been for sometime, so I thought it'd be fun to start a shed thread (garage whatever)...the pulsating heart of your biking life, humble or magnificent they all serve the same purpose...a retreat, a shelter, a workshop, full of prized possessions and borderline junk in equal measure !!

So here is a place for you to post up your pics, tell all your aspirations and how you set it up...and of course nestled in there somewhere your T3 no doubt..only one thing better than being in your shed is looking at anothers ;-) !

I'll pop down stairs and rattle a couple off to start but feel free to beat me to it.....

Cheers
Mot

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
This is mine. :p

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
608 Posts
Gotta subscribe, no pics at the moment cause the new garage is ram packed with stuff from the move still waiting to get final places around the house, was just today at the odl garage cleaning it up, got my lorry in the yard loaded with over four cubic meters of misc. junk from ten years I`m taking to junkyard tomorrow.

Found this from the archives, the pile in the left has grown bigger but that`s the new garage downstairs of the new house, don`t have any photos from the workshop in the back (boiler room) in current condition but you can see the table I made that continues all the way to the boiler in the right, and there also is the beer fridge under the table in the right corner.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
KIt, you tried a "stoppie" again, didn't you? Look at all those parts!

:D:D:D

Andy
Should've seen when we did the engine swap! :D

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
187 Posts
A bit of history if you will. My reference is that wonderful book "Men and Sheds" by Gordon Thorburn.
The modern English word "shed" comes from the Anglo Saxon for shade which is "scead", pronounced Shay-ud". Scead of course means partial darkness or comparative obscurity and this is fundamental in understanding why men came to inhabit sheds. Originally he was a kind of wise man, a hermit if you like, who was partially dark and a bit obscure, which gave ordinary folk the impression that he was different in a special way. Over many years the concept of shed, or hermits retreat, developed a wider meaning. The wise man or hermit gathered things around him, some of which had magical significance. He collected strange objects, the importance of which others could not understand and his shed became his spiritual home. Nowadays it's generally agreed that the shed is an escape thing and it's clear that ladies are simply "not in the shed" because they lack the shedding instinct. Another train of thought is that the ladies are being a touch sinister in allowing us to construct our hideaways to escape from the house, which is her domain, so that we are not under her feet all the time.

Whatever the truth of the matter, I like my partially dark and a bit obscure shed and all it's contents.
Sprint Sport up for service.

Trophy service.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Proper smart in there Sixties lad..;-) that Thunder Bird looks almost as good with it's clothes off as with them on Burren Boyo !

Me Den

Popped a bench in a couple of months back

The wise man or hermit gathered things around him, some of which had magical significance.

Fastest sack barrow in the East :)

Looking forward to having a nosey around more of your sheds

Cheers
Mot

·
Registered
608 Posts
^ seeing some quality tools there, money well spent. Some guys keep saying to me when I buy Tengtools, Bahco and other expensive makes that they get three sets for the price, I say I avoided three bloody knuckles and still use the first set when they go for the fourth... I once hit the concrete floor as hard as I can when a ratchet gave up on me and then swore I'll never buy another 10pence tool again, have mostly kept the oath and the few strays have held together surprisingly well....

·
Registered
232 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
shed

Old and new................................

The big one was only rented tho'

I am really hoping to replace my crappy concrete sectional garage with a wooden jobby in the next 12 months if anybody has any recommendations, the prices seem to vary wildly!

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
The garage isnt in too bad a condition but being concrete sections on a 2ft deep concrete base (sloping garden) is is very susceptable to condensation and damp air. I am no expert but i believe wooden garages tend to "breath" and are better in the that respect. I really wanted a wooden floor with some air circulating under it so it wasnt quite to bloody cold in the winter months.....

·
Registered
608 Posts
I can vouch for that, at my moms I had full use of a five car garage, there was a wall made to the back to divide a two cars worth of space for warm working space and the rest was cold storage, just took FOUR cubic meters of junk to a landfill last tuesday and didn`t even touch the small workshop side at all, expecting one more from there...

[offtopic] BTW gripperod love your avatar, I`m a big fan of Miyazaki, got almost all of his movies, just watched the Earthsea Cycle last weekend the first time, the best ones are probly spirited away, Porco Rosso and valley of the winds [/offtopic]

1 - 20 of 72 Posts