Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after many hours of scrubbing, sanding, grinding, and painting I have made some progress on my 69 tiger. It seems like everytime I get one puzzle figured out I get three more:) My newest puzzle is the rear wheel, more specifically the right side of the rear wheel ( when your sitting on the bike). There was what looked like a speedo drive assembly on it, and well it was beat up bad, not worth saving. If i take it off completely there wont be anything there to provide a spacer for the rear wheel.

Has anyone ever Had to fix this problem? Even If you haven't I'm game for any good ideas!!! I have posted pics of the frame after I got it all cleaned up, still not sure what I'm gonna do with that ugly kickstand though.... Oh and I threw a pic of the cylinders too, it took me three days to get it off without breaking anything:)
http://www.triumphrat.net/memberalbums/showphoto.php/photo/9684/ppuser/35852
http://www.triumphrat.net/memberalbums/showphoto.php/photo/9685/ppuser/35852
http://www.triumphrat.net/memberalbums/showphoto.php/photo/9686/ppuser/35852

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Best bet is to replace the speedo drive unit with another one. I'm assuming that you're going to use a speedometer on the bike and if you use a Smiths unit (hopefully, the original one) there is a number code on the face of it that'll tell you the drive ratio to use. The numbers are small and look something like 358/1000 (just made those up to give you an example).

Hope this helps: Jim

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Being that I'm building a bobber I wasn't going to worry about a speedo or a tach. I was looking for something to take the place of the speedo drive housing since that was all that was there to begin with. There wasn't any internals just the outer housing.

Thanks anyway though.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Triumph made a spacer to fill that gap. There have been a few NOS available on eBay recently. Shouldn't be hard to have a spacer (or should I say distance piece) machined.

·
Registered
177 Posts
patience for the '69

Hey Bobber, hope you are at least enjoying it as you go. I am in the process of working on '69 TR6. Mine was a literal basket case! The one thing I've learned it patience. Haven't found anything I couldn't tackle (especially with help from the formum).
If you aren't going to use the speedo drive, just use IT as a spacer. Just grind it down and slap some paint on it.
Bryan

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After many hours of searching and a few calls to the machine shop I have decided to just clean up the old speedo drive housing:) Im almost done with the frame ( no pics yet) and the motor is almost tore down completely. Still waiting on the manual though... I do have a few pics of some odds and ends though.
Not much to look at but its progress:) I'm hoping to get pics of the finished rear whell assembly up soon since its finished:)

Attachments

·
Registered
478 Posts
Have a look at the sidestand mounting, something is wrong. '68 onwards frame has a full lug to support the sidestand, '67 and earlier has a half lug which often breaks when starting on the sidestand, which is why they modified it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts