Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm tweaking things on my bike trying to get everything "just right". I hadn't intended to do this right away as I've only had the bike for a little over a week, but I figure after 400 miles I have an idea of what needs to go where. I figured I'd start at the top.
I'm around 6'2" with what I refer to as "monkey arms". With the bars as I received them, the bike felt pretty good when seated, but when I stood up, I was a bit more hunched over than I wanted, and the clutch and brake levers were too far up and I felt like I had to bend my wrists at a funky angle to work them. I had a dirt bike about a decade ago, but ergos weren't real high on my list of priorities at the time, so this is my first time setting up a bike like this. I've had a few sport/touring bikes, but there wasn't quite as much to change, especially when you're dealing with clip-ons. And with my dirt bike, I wasn't really too concerned about throwing it down the trail...I'm a little different about the Tiger.
I also have been slowly reading through the owners manual and I got the part about how you can turn the risers around to open up some more room in the cockpit, so I figured I'd give that a shot too.
Swapping the risers around was easy, just undo the four bolts holding the bars on, lift the bars and spin the risers. I took that opportunity to then roll the bars forward a few degrees. That felt great. So I buttoned it up and went inside for the night.
Today I rode it in, and it is WAY better. I'm more upright when I stand up, and the controls are right there where I like them...but they're a little far away when I'm seating...and the thumb controls (horn, turn signals, starter, etc) are now too high up and hard to get to. So I think I'm going to have to roll the bars back a little bit and find a happy middle-ground.

Has anyone else made these changes and found something that works for them? I don't think I'm going to need Rox Risers at this point, but I do have longer arms than most

I had also purchased some Maier bark-busters and looked at putting those on last night. I had to pull the plug on that as I ran out of time. Does anyone have recommendations for how to get the mounts around the clutch cable most effectively? I didn't have a lot of time to mess with it, but it looked like it was going to be a fight. I'm also not 100% sure the clamp they gave me correct for the Tiger's stock bar. The dealer said it would fit, but it seems they're shaped slightly differently.

Sorry for the text-wall.

·
Registered
692 Posts
One quick suggestion before you turn the handle bars back down. You should be able to loosen the controls & twist them down a bit on the bars. Find a happy medium between where they feel best standing & where they feel best sitting. Remember that you're in the seat much more than on the pegs.:grin2:

I had Maiers on my KLR. They are by far the best guards I've ever had. (Dare I say, even better than the Bark Busters I have on my TEX.) I tried to get a pair 4 years ago when I bought my Explorer, but they weren't available. The plastics are much larger & fit my Texas sized hands even with winter gloves on. You'll just have to try the brackets & see if they fit the bars. If I recall, Maier has 2 sizes available. As far as fitting the clutch cables around the mounting brackets, you'll just have to loosen the cable holder & move it a bit or improvise something. You may be able to remove the cable hold downs all together.

You may decide @ some point to try a pair of 2" Rox risers also. I'm 6'4" with a 36" inseam & 38" sleeve length, so I understand the "monkey arms" reference. I have 2" Rox Risers on mine & still with they were 2" taller...

Play with the adjustments as you have time. You'll eventually get them dialed in to fit you best!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One quick suggestion before you turn the handle bars back down. You should be able to loosen the controls & twist them down a bit on the bars. Find a happy medium between where they feel best standing & where they feel best sitting. Remember that you're in the seat much more than on the pegs.:grin2:

I had Maiers on my KLR. They are by far the best guards I've ever had. (Dare I say, even better than the Bark Busters I have on my TEX.) I tried to get a pair 4 years ago when I bought my Explorer, but they weren't available. The plastics are much larger & fit my Texas sized hands even with winter gloves on. You'll just have to try the brackets & see if they fit the bars. If I recall, Maier has 2 sizes available. As far as fitting the clutch cables around the mounting brackets, you'll just have to loosen the cable holder & move it a bit or improvise something. You may be able to remove the cable hold downs all together.

You may decide @ some point to try a pair of 2" Rox risers also. I'm 6'4" with a 36" inseam & 38" sleeve length, so I understand the "monkey arms" reference. I have 2" Rox Risers on mine & still with they were 2" taller...

Play with the adjustments as you have time. You'll eventually get them dialed in to fit you best!
I was thinking about rotating the controls, but after my ride home today, I think I need to bring the bars back a smidge...either by rolling them back (which I'll probably do because it gives me the added bonus of adjusting the controls where I like them) or by swapping the risers back around. I'll obviously do the easier one first. As they are now I feel they're just a little too far away when I'm seated. But standing up they were about perfect. Since my ride home is now about 65-70% dirt roads, I get to play with standing up a lot.

I still need to get better at this offroad riding thing...turns being the killer right now.

I have a feeling fitting the guards is going to be a test of my patience, but I'll figure it out. I have a nice long weekend coming up to do it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts