Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and gentlemen, I'm happy to show the fruits of my quest for a bigger, better gas tank. I started out with the stock tank, found it didn't hold enough for my purposes, and moved up to the Norman Hyde SS tank. That also had a number of problems which I won't go through again here. But... I finally have what I've been looking for.

This is a one-off tank custom made by Evan Wilcox in Ukiah, California. It's made of aluminum, has a centrally-mounted sealed cap, a breather tube running to the charcoal cannister, and it holds 7.5 gallons of fuel. Given the weight of my bike with full touring gear, I get about 35 mpg, which puts my range above 250 miles.

Evan calls it the Triumph GS Clubman tank, based off of an old BSA Gold Star tank design.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Beautiful...any more side pics of the bike with tank mounted?

You've built the ADV Bonnie I've always dreamed about...nicely done!

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Orpheus,that tank is ummm BIG! A couple days ago,I was thinking about widening my stock tank,just for the hellovit.But now,I think I`m gonna build a small,prism style,drag tank,just so the Earths orbit isn`t thrown into a wobble.:D

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
that's a big stonking tank!

I dig it. I don't even want to THINK what it cost...but maybe I'm a little curious.

I'd like something like that, or one of the aux. tour tanks mounted on a luggage rack, for longer rides. Or maybe just a jerry can.

Any progress on your longer-travel front end?

Your bike is coming along very nicely.

(who's the lovely lady in the background?)

·
Registered
282 Posts
That's a ride all day tank. You could cross a couple of states without having to stop to fillup. Does he make something in the five to six gallon range? Bike looks great Orpheus.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The cost of the tank was $2000. I haven't done anything with suspension recently, but that will probably be addressed in the spring. The lady in the background is my girlfriend. She followed me up to Ukiah in her Rav4 and we went camping in Yosemite for the week while Evan had my bike.

BornAgain, Evan based this tank design on an old BSA Gold Star design, which was about 5.5-6 gallons. He grew the overall dimensions 10% all around for this project. I think he'd be quite comfortable making 5-6 gallon versions.

Other notes: the tank overlaps the front of the seat by a few inches and does not connect to the frame in the usual place. Instead, Evan made a custom brace near the front of the frame with rubber bushings to prevent contact between the tank and the frame. There's also padding along the spine of the bike and in a few other places. It's a dual petcock setup, using the petcocks from my Norman Hyde tank, one being the reserve. The cap (I'll provide pics when it's light out) is totally sealed. No fuel gets through, even with the tank inverted. It's centrally located and flush-mounted, with the breather right to the top of the tank. It allows me to fill up with the bike on the center stand, all the way to the top with no fear of sputtering or leaking after I ride off.

Today I went 197 and 177 miles between fill-ups with plenty of fuel left in the tank. Good times.

edit: Evan's website is http://www.wilcoxmetal.com/

He's a tremendously nice, friendly guy. Very knowledgeable, and he's been making tanks professionally since 1990. If you want him to make a custom tank, you'll probably have to bring your bike (or at least the frame) to him. He said he wouldn't have been able to build my tank without the bike, since there were so many special considerations. That said, he has about a dozen frames hanging outside his shop, which he uses for reference on common bikes he does work for.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I took a look at his site last night. I think you got a good bargain for all he had to do to get it to fit that good. I've started setting up my T100 for touring just got Hepco Becker bags mounted and now I'm wanting more compy seating arrangments for two up. No king and queen seats sorry but they are just plan ugly on a Bonne. Didn't like them in the 60's and 70's don't like them now. I was thinking about scuplting a piece of mini cell foam to replace the stock padding. Also got a Dunstall cafe fairing on my Santa list for Christmas. Keep us posted on how the tank works out maybe when I get the kids out of collage I can pay Mr Wilcox a vist.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BornAgain, there's a British company that makes some nice stepped seats for the Bonnie, but I'm pulling my hair out trying to remember who they are! Anyway, they were sort of similar to the /6-era BMW stepped-seats:

http://www.kliktronic.co.uk/BMW-R75.jpg

But without the little "flare" up at the back end.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Beautiful...any more side pics of the bike with tank mounted?
Some more pics:

Side shot:

Front view:

Clear view of the cap.

Dual petcock setup. This is the main petcock with the breather tube hookup behind it (going to a charcoal canister).

·
Registered
249 Posts
so it took him about a week to completely make the tank? thats pretty quick. im getting deployed next month and when i get back i think i wanna get a tank from him. i was thinking about a rickman metisse style tank.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Could this be what you were thinking about http://www.bellacorse.com/bcc037.htm might be more comfortable than the stock ironing board. Nice looking /6 I like them better than the toaster tank /5. Better range and brakes.
I was thinking of the MotoTwin seats, specifically, the B MotoTwin ’79 Stateside.

http://www.mototwin.co.uk/store/index.php?cPath=92_33&osCsid=62441e9339bdc5c4e1281507171750b6

e: BTW, my stock red/black T100 tank and Norman Hyde SS tank are now for sale in the Classifieds, if anyone's interested.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Why is your fuel mileage so poor? The tank on my America is only a little over 5 gallons, but I get nearly the range of your 7.5. It's about 190 miles to Reserve and about 220 miles to bone dry. If you could get the mileage up, you'd have a 350 mile cruiser. That would really make good use of your investment in that tank.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not entirely certain what the problem is, but it's been bothering me for a long time now. It's an 865cc engine with TORs and rejetting. The only thing I can think of is that the rejetting is somehow thrashing it. That or the general issue of added weight/wind turbulence from luggage, crash bars, extra fuel, etc. But under most circumstances, I ride with the side cases off, leaving an almost empty topcase and the crash bars as the only significant additions of any weight/size.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thanks Orpheus I think Norman Hyde sells that same seat. Might be on option if the dollar keeps going up. I get 45 to 53mpg but I have the 790 motor. When I was running needles from the 865 engine (Thurx) my mileage went down to 35 - 40 range switched back to stock needles (the nail). I don't have that boost in power at 3500 to 4000rpm that I got with the Thrux needles. Its more a strong pull from 1500 up to 6000. I like that better.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts