Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of our bikes our 15 years old, and the rest getting older, occasional problems will arise. Many of us post questions here on the forums to tap into the collective wisdom of those with more knowledge.
However, casual visitors thinking of purchasing an older bike can be frightened off by seeing a variety of problems posted on the forum.
I have noticed in the four years here that problem posts are becoming more frequent as these bikes change hands and are picked up from owners who neglected or rarely rode the bikes.

Visitors considering buying a classic triple should remember that those of us whose bikes are running well never post a problem question.
Let me begin by stating my 99 Legend has only had one issue at 38000 miles, the alternator rattle, which I as an unskilled mechanic was able to fix with the help of others on the forum.
The bike runs great, looks good, and draws a lot of comments by onlookers.

·
Premium Member
5,125 Posts
A similar thought occurred to me recently. People post when they have an issue but nobody posts to say that their bike has been running perfectly.

It's true that a casual visitor would read a whole lot of problems but not much about the general reliability which on the whole, is very good.

Although I can't claim that mine has been 100% reliable I have had it for 9 years which is the longest by far for me, and I can't see me ever selling it.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
You may read about the problems, but just get on one of the model-specific forums and say something bad about the bike and see what happens.:D

·
Registered
913 Posts
I can't see me ever selling it.
though issues come up on mine every so often, i couldn't bare the thought of selling it after 2 years and 18,000+ miles on the seat! while i was buying a 09 Speed Triple earlier this month, another salesman asked mine if i was trading the Legend in towards it. my salesman laughed and said "yeah over his dead body!" :p

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Well I say that it always takes too darn much time - forget the salad and let's get to the main course I say!

Oh, sorry, I thought it said "The problem with foreplay":eek:

·
Premium Member
9,797 Posts
My '04 TBS is coming up for 8 years old with a tad under 40K miles on the clock.
Other than normal maintenance (oil, brakes, tires etc), I have only had to replace the battery and a few light bulbs.

It has never let me down.

So, I suppose you could say that it has been 100% reliable.

There is no way I could see myself selling it.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
There is one 'major' problem I regularly experience!

The problem is stopping - the brakes are fine, but almost every time I stop somebody appears and says " Hello, I use to have a Triumph. Lovely bikes.....". Nobody warned me about being 'held-up' for around 10-15 minutes each time I park-up.

My time keeping has become erratic, but I have meet alot of friendly people........

Geoff

·
Registered
172 Posts
There is one 'major' problem I regularly experience!

The problem is stopping - the brakes are fine, but almost every time I stop somebody appears and says " Hello, I use to have a Triumph. Lovely bikes.....". Nobody warned me about being 'held-up' for around 10-15 minutes each time I park-up.

My time keeping has become erratic, but I have meet alot of friendly people........

Geoff

I keep hearing about this phenomenon, but have not experienced it yet.

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
I'll probably stir the fault gremlins with this but my TB has done 93,000km (approx 58,000 miles) with just a front brake micro-switch stop-light failure. (A Suzuki part also fits it).

I'm waiting for coils and sprag clutch failures as reported within the forum to happen and keeping my fingers crossed that they don't !

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Life has changed

Classic triples suck.

And sits back and waits.....
Haggis,

I kind of miss you guys over in the Twins section, but when I bought my TBS things started to change. The receding hairline reversed, my IQ went up and the beer belly went down, women now adore me and men want to be me. Each new day is sunshine and total orgasmic happiness, but best of all I have an "EXTRA CYLINDER." Sometimes I do miss the Scambler, but it all I have to do is hit the Sport starter button and it's a faint memory.

One further thought gentlemen. If you think we post our problems here, just imagine what life is like on on the Yugo forum......

·
Registered
671 Posts
01 TBS, 40,000+ miles, and as far as I know the carbs have never been to bits :)

..although I probably shouldnt have said that out loud.. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
GBC,

I thought that only happened to me ...............Being 62 years of age. the girls now appreciate my fingers not smelling of gas from "tickling " the carb or carbs.

The calf on my right leg is now the same size as the one on the other side of my body.

AND BEST OF ALL......................................................

My blue jeans dont have oil stains all over them

PEACE AND GREASE
GLAZE OUT

1 - 18 of 18 Posts