Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got a set of barrels at the swap meet for the 650 TR6R project. good price too $40 canuckistani, thats between $35.oo and $.73 cents U.S. depending on the current exchange rate which goes up and down without warning like a roller coaster.

did a quick pass with a sunnen hone to see what was actually there and found no cylinder ridge or "bellmouthing" in the bore, less than a thou difference in diameter too.

the problem is the bore is 2.8352 on the left hole and 2.8353 on the right hole.

The old manuals say the tolerance on the bore is 2.8348 to 2.8353.

what they don't say is if that is:

the acceptable rebore sizing (vaguely recall something like this)

or the bore size wear range till a rebore is needed. (having experience with wishfull thinking i fear this is the case)

if i ever knew i've forgotten. does anyone who's gone through this recently know ?

question #2 Hoping like crazy that i can use these without a rebore, i'll be in the market for a good set of slightly used +.040 overs if anyone wants to get rid of some.

I used to be able to hustle the parts guys i knew to find me a pair of "tight" slightly oversize pistons.

heh! boy are those days gone forever. out of three canadian triumph parts places there was only one set of +.040's available. (Martin was willing to measure them though, so good ol brit parts guys are still out there)

however on the plus side i will soon have have enough pieces to actually get a "born again" thread going!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
!

thanks Caulky!

both of those are superb brit sources. the real problem or should i say the "challenge" is to build as good as possible for as little money as possible.

first off living in Canada means anything from a business outside the country has to go thru customs and if the company does'nt know the ins and outs of transborder shipping thru a "brokerage" as well. Major cost and hassle and time delay. it's so effed up i avoid it if at all possible. that also makes getting a deal out of SleazeBay USA just about impossible.

best way to proceed is with freinds here and in the US, and good swap meets first, local dealers next and then dealers in-country.

things have changed in the last 20 years, i know a superb machinist on Vancouver Island, 20 years ago i'd pop over and drop off a crank or a head, or ship it. now either is too expensive to consider.

it's a different set of options in 2009 and i'm in the middle of sorting it all out. however I do appreciate your effort to help!

thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts