Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been thinking about wether to keep my T100 or get something different maybe a bit bigger,but went for a wee ride on the weekend and well I just love that bike really so been thinking how i could personalize her a bit more ,i took the seat in today to a guy whos gonna sculpt my seat to look a bit more like the king/queen seat look ,i quite like the look of the sissy bars backrests ,but theyre NZ $750 from the triumph dealer so will keep an eye out for a used one maybe,I changed my Hbars for quite wide western style bars a while ago but would rather have something a bit higher and more pulled back,but then I wonder what shell handle like and also I already had to get a longer brake line I think my cables mite be at there max now,ah well I can dream to cold here to do much outside.Hope all you lot are enjoying the warmer weather.brent

·
Registered
19 Posts
i,ve had 6 bikes in three years two mid cruisers then i "winter" bike a 99 sprint fell in love with the sound and the power then ended up with a big cruiser xv1700 yam fab bike but an event ride big heavy fast and noisy ..........eventually sold it as i rode the sprint more then just recently added a 2001 bonny to the garage now it the bonny and the sprint i need no more collection is sorted

...........unless i find a nice older bonny to add :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ive been talking to the guy from The Handlebar Company here in NZ he has a website under that name with pictures and measurements of his products he is going to make me a customised version of the Buckhorn pullback bars that will be shorter and a bit less pullback than whats shown on the website,he also thinks he knows of someone who makes /sells sissybars to suit triumphs so that sounds quite good,ill post a pic once i get seat and bars on .brent

·
Registered
119 Posts
Customizing... it never ends once you start.

Hi Brent, I agree, been toying with the same delema of late. 4 years ago I made the radical switch (for me) from Harley's to the Triumph lifestyle. I instantly fell in love with my beloved Triumph Speedmaster. I have entertained at times, the erotic fetishes to convert back to the beasts, but the long serving lustre of my beautiful, faithful and loyal Speedy always satisfys.
I have started making customizations to the bike now to personalise it more. This has made a much more lasting impression of desire and satisfaction. Some of the changes are subtle and simple, some are blatently obviuos to create a stir or show piece attraction.

I started with adding electric gizmo's; radar, gps and lazer jammers. Then I changed the handelbars, from stock drag bars to 16 inch apes, then onto 20 inch apes. From there I have had custom engineered bits like brackets, and side plates made. Currently under construction by my proffessional engineer who is quite savy with bike stuff, I am getting 60's style high fishtail pipes, as well as cutting down the rear guard with a high sissy bar and who knows what else.

Be warned, once you start tinkering, its hard to stop, you are only limited by your imagination. Suprisingly custom made stuff is a fraction of the cost of genuine stuff which seems to have 300% margin on it. I would highly recomend visiting a sheet metal work shop and speaking to a metal engineer. These guys have alot of flare and pride in there work, and some do amazing cashies.

The guy I use is brilliant, he takes my raw ideas, and turns them into perfect realities by calculations and stuff in his head. I am sure there are others out there.

I also just had a bike stand made for my bike as well, it allows me to work on the bike as though it had a centre stand. It works as a simple lever and raises the back end by 200mm. Great for chain lube and wheel work etc.

Go hard

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep been thinking about finding a good engineer,shouldnt be to hard,man I do like them speedies they look great I did toy with the idea of moving on to one of them but I didnt feel id be gaining much,basicly the same motor,your defnitly a big step up from a HD tractor,tho bro,nice one.brent

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
here is the first of my refinements,my new seat its got about an extra inch for me and nearly two inches for pillion,its really comfy and the guy did a fantastic job he reused the original top cover and remade the side cover,a near perfect match,if you look at pics of the 79 bonne youl see where im going with this.im toying with repainting the tank and guards black and white,havnt decided yet,got my new bars ordered hopefully get em next week,have found a guy who can make me a sissy bar but the wifes not to keen so have to work on that,she dont like the idea of having to slide onto seat,i guess it is a bit awkward for a pillion,pics are a bit fuzzy sorry when i get new bars on i will try to take better ones

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
tried again I dont know why it wont let me download ,ive already been able to put these pics on another thread,bonneville seat,so maybe I can only download once ? anyway you can see it there.brent

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
still waiting for my new h bars just as well its winter here went out for a wee ride on weekend 12 degrees c or about 48 farenheight ,aaah love that bike have decided to replace front forks with progressive springs, guys on other threads seem to rave about them,ive never been very impressed with the stock springs,so that should make a big difference

·
Registered
455 Posts
i quite like the look of the sissy bars backrests ,but theyre NZ $750 from the triumph dealer so will keep an eye out for a used one maybe
I am going to take off my Triumph High Sissy Bar and MC Resoucres rack soon at my new Hepco Becker Rack and Top Case comes in .

Here's a pic of the Bar and Rack on my Scrambler , would you be interested ? Donno what the shipping would be from Mid Michigan , USA though .

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanx for the offer bro I like the ones that dont have a carry rack on back,just the sissy bar,ive ordered a new set of progressive springs today for front forks wont be here for about four weeks about when the weather starts warming up,so am looking forward to that,mite try a lighter grade of fork oil as well .brent

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
The great thing about the Bonneville is the degree to which it can be customized and still recognized as a Bonneville. Mine is a white 2009 standard model with a Sixty8 seat, bar end mirrors, fly screen, min-tach, relocated rear bullet lights, and a Lucus style tail-light. This winter I hope to get an orange racing stripe painted on the tank.

Then on to the pipes and engine...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Nice one Himiskelly. Brent - where are your pics??

I think that it's the greatest feature of the Bonneville: The fact that you can customise it, change it, or morph it into virtually anything you want.

Call it taste, or maybe old age, but crotchrockets and many of the new sportbikes look all the same to me, regardless of the mod's made.

The Bonneville also allows for a lot of personal touches - things you cannot buy off the shelf. At Triumph rallies and get togethers, you can have a lot of fun trying to match the owners to the bikes! Try it next time.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The great thing about the Bonneville is the degree to which it can be customized and still recognized as a Bonneville. Mine is a white 2009 standard model with a Sixty8 seat, bar end mirrors, fly screen, min-tach, relocated rear bullet lights, and a Lucus style tail-light. This winter I hope to get an orange racing stripe painted on the tank.

Then on to the pipes and engine...
Nice bike bro like your seat .my pics are on another thread, bonneville seat.put them on there then found I couldnt put here as well .I finally got my new h bars today they look pretty cool have to get longer accelerator cables and brake line made up to fit ,will organise that tomoro,and hopefully get it all back together this weekend,then ill take more pics to show off to y,all.another month and hopefully will have new progressive springs ,cant wait for summer to come round,enjoy the good weather while you can guys cause its all headed my way in a month or two

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
heres some pics of new bars and seat cant ride her yet waiting for new throttle cables hopefully have them by weekend,im pretty hjappy with how she looks feels great just sitting on ,will see how nice she is to ride on weekend weather permitting.brent

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im pretty happy with how she rides now though it does take a bit of getting used to ,im even more determined now to instal progressive springs to front forks the hard stock forks feel even worse with the new bars ,have got new springs ordered so hopefully not too far away,weather has definitely warmed up here in NZ,getting 12/16 degree celsius days now with sun went for a good ride over weekend about 300 kms,have to take it quiet tho as shady corners have this horrible grit put on for frosts makes life more interesting very slippery stuff.had too get longer throtle cables made up $ 30 each and longer brake cable cost $ 40 so not too bad really

1 - 16 of 16 Posts