Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today at the Cologne Motorcycle Show Yamaha unveiled a new "crossplane" 3-cylinder engine. It's only a concept but a juicy piece of information to fire the imagination of Sprint fans.

Combine the characteristics of a triple and Yamaha's existing crossplane engine and you have a great base for a sports tourer. Obviously this is just wishful thinking but I will be watching with interest to see what Yamaha does with this idea.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Hard to imagine a crossplane crank on a triple...

Probably just the same 120 degrees on the crank pins yes?

Starplane crank? (I coined it first :))

·
Premium Member
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hard to imagine a crossplane crank on a triple... Probably just the same 120 degrees on the crank pins yes?
Instead of the regular 240º firing intervals we have with the Sprint I would imagine that the crossplane firing interval will be 180-180-360. Crank throws would be two up, one down - sort of like a twin with an extra cylinder jumping in between. That makes me wonder what it would sound like. I don't particularly like the sound of Yamaha's current crossplane 4-cylinder engines. They sound flat and a bit too much like a V-Twin and I don't like the sound of those either.

BTW - given the typical age of Sprint riders I suspect that many of you can remember that Yamaha have made 4-stroke triples before. In the late 70s and early 80s they produced the XS750 and XS850.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Instead of the regular 240º firing intervals we have with the Sprint I would imagine that the crossplane firing interval will be 180-180-360. Crank throws would be two up, one down - sort of like a twin with an extra cylinder jumping in between. That makes me wonder what it would sound like. I don't particularly like the sound of Yamaha's current crossplane 4-cylinder engines. They sound flat and a bit too much like a V-Twin and I don't like the sound of those either.

BTW - given the typical age of Sprint riders I suspect that many of you can remember that Yamaha have made 4-stroke triples before. In the late 70s and early 80s they produced the XS750 and XS850.

Like the Jota. But that is still in one plane. My point is that a true crossplane triple is a very awkward design.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I had at one time a Yamaha Tmax scooter, it had a parallel twin and an almost third cylinder for balance. There were and still are countless rumors of Yamaha developing that engine into a triple, there where even drawings posted online.....
Yamaha would do well by developing a triple, the scooter world would go crazy.
I read the article on their new engine, it will be interesting to see what finally develops.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
When asked what is the “crossplane concept”, Senior Executive Motorcycle Business Operations, Kunihiko Miwa responded, “It is the philosophy where “crossplane” means the kind of torque character that gives riders the exact torque they want when they need it”.
Sounds like our 240º firing order to me. :D

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
The XS750 was a terrible, heavy, ill handling air cooled/shaft drive Triple.....I know, I had one, and later, after I'd gotten the better GS750 I actually seized my mates, at high speed ( centre pot)

BUT the motah itself, when running was quite a peach............the later XS850 was rumoured to be much better, and the later still XJ series of shaft drive motahs, albeit 4 pots, were light years more unburstable/reliable.........I always wished Yamaha had made THOSE Triples!!!!!

I imagine....since MV Agusta have joined the Triple fray, quite a few other marques are looking at the passion and almost cult like following a howling/torquey Triple cylinder engine brings!!!!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I have been wondering how long it will take before one of the big Jap four copies Triumph. It will be interesting to see what model they produce first with their "innovative" triple.

I remember the Yamaha triples of days gone by, but I was no where near old enough to think about riding one. :D

I also remember owners cursing and swearing a lot about them as well. When mentioned today the reactions are...interesting...

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
....since MV Agusta have joined the Triple fray, quite a few other marques are looking at the
passion and almost cult like following a howling/torquey Triple cylinder engine brings!!!!
The F3 (675 triple) is a looker ! ... MV Agusta is rejoining the triple fray.

I like the sound of my 1050 triple, but love the sound of my Aprilia V-twin.

1965 MV Agusta 500 triple ... I'm old enough to remember these :D

...And old enough to have ridden these, and survived. Way faster than a 305 Superhawk :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I was really looking forward to taking one of the MV Agusta triples for a ride, as the local dealership got three and planned to set one aside for demos. A week after the head mechanic told me this, all three were at the back of the showroom with "Sold, please do not touch" signs on them. :(

Guess I'll have to settle for taking a spin on a Panigale... Hey, I think I know what to do with this unexpected day off now! :D

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
In 1979, I bought a brand new XS750 Special, my second street bike. I only had it for a season as I got this crazy idea to trade it for a used BMW 750. It was a nice bike with less top end than my friends' 750s, but it did have more torque and a nicer finish than the Suzuki and Kawasaki. Looking back, I should have gotten the XS1100 standard model, but the sales guy dissuaded me from it.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
In 1979, I bought a brand new XS750 Special, my second street bike. I only had it for a season as I got this crazy idea to trade it for a used BMW 750. It was a nice bike with less top end than my friends' 750s, but it did have more torque and a nicer finish than the Suzuki and Kawasaki. Looking back, I should have gotten the XS1100 standard model, but the sales guy dissuaded me from it.
I agree....whilst ill handling and heavy ( next to a GS750)...and about 10MPH slower than said GS........the midrange and typical Triple grunt were very very nice........even despite it weighing probably 40 lbs more than the Suzuki..................which I did sell after a coupla years as 'ace/reliable' but very 'bland'..........for a Guzzi Le Mans.....................

·
Registered
632 Posts
I was really looking forward to taking one of the MV Agusta triples for a ride, as the local dealership got three and planned to set one aside for demos. A week after the head mechanic told me this, all three were at the back of the showroom with "Sold, please do not touch" signs on them. :(

Guess I'll have to settle for taking a spin on a Panigale... Hey, I think I know what to do with this unexpected day off now! :D

Cheers,
-Kit
I am riding down to the Dragon this weekend with a friend who has a 2013 MV F3. We are meeting some friends down there, one has a new Panigale and the other a 848 Corsa.
I will be on my Stirple R.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I am riding down to the Dragon this weekend with a friend who has a 2013 MV F3. We are meeting some friends down there, one has a new Panigale and the other a 848 Corsa.
I will be on my Stirple R.
Where is that idiot who says the US is in a recession????:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Where is that idiot who says the US is in a recession????
Right here, wondering how he's gonna come up with the money to keep the Internet turned on after blowing $25 on a new clutch cable. Shall we return to talking about bikes now? :p

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
27 Posts
70's & 80's Triples

BTW - given the typical age of Sprint riders I suspect that many of you can remember that Yamaha have made 4-stroke triples before. In the late 70s and early 80s they produced the XS750 and XS850.[/QUOTE]

Yep.....typical age for this Sprinta. I remember the Yam triples as I had an XS500 twin at the time and liked how the triples sounded. The dream bike at the time was a 30th Anniversary Laverda and I remember dribbling over the window of the Laverda dealer at the time.:) Thanks to Triumph I finally ended up with a triple many years later.
Cheers
Sprinta.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts