Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike is finally back from Corbin with the sporty new redesigned Smuggler. I like the changes.

I know a few of you had these on order. Did you receive them yet? What do you think?

(No, I don't work for Corbin, but I spent 6 weeks communicating with them so I've gotten to know a few of the folks there. Now they are almost like family...)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
That looks very nice indeed. Was it very expensive and easy to install? Have they done one in a Pacific Blue to go with the two tone Bonnie?

It really does look great, oh and is it more comfortable than the stock seat?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Easy to Install? > Yes, it uses the same 2 bolts as the stocker.
Comfortable? > Yes, and it will get more comfortable as it forms to my arse.
Pacific Blue? > Yes, Corbin always gets the paint specs and matches the seat to your bike.
Expensive? > Not for me, since they used my bike to make the seat. But the seats run $800 or so, so yes, they are expensive.
Worth it? > That's something you'll have to decide for yourself!

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
I'll start saving now:D

·
Registered
117 Posts
I certainly like the idea and I'm darn sure it's comfortable but IMO, it kinda takes away from the classic lines a bit. Maybe if it had a bit more blended-in look with the rear.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
not bad.i can see that they are trying to get a more classic Cafe Racer look and get away the Harley/cruiser saddle look.all in all a nice looking seat.to bad they didn't not something about the gap around the lid. make it a closer fit so not so obvious:)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think it looks incredible on the new 09s with mag wheels. DAMN IT CORBIN! I just bought a Triumph solo seat a month ago! This seat has officially been added to my "someday" list of mods. Problem is - that list keeps growing and growing.

·
30,525 Posts
It's a good looking seat, and handy. Man - privey though.

Looks good on your bike.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Would it be possible for you to take more pictures of the storage compartment, along with something (like a dollar) for size reference? Just curious how much storage the back really has. I think the new design looks great with the 09 tank.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
propforward, thanks for asking. I got some bad news today. My dealer tells me that part needed to fix the gear change pedal is "on backorder with no release date". I'm pretty ticked off; I can't believe Triumph would put a bike out on the streets without the parts to support it. And if it isn't supposed to break then, in my book, the part was defective and I'm owed a new tranny. My repair guy plans on calling the UK tomorrow to see if we can get the part from there. I've suggested he also look around for a junked bike to pull the necessary part from. And I also suggested we call the bike totaled so I can get the insurance $$ and buy a new one if Triumph can't supply the part. I should know more tomorrow - and I hope it's better news than today's!

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Man I am missing the boat on this. I need to find a good molder and build a glass trunck that just bolts onto the Scrambler Solo seat using the same mounts the chrome rack uses.

I wonder where a guy can get a mold made up for fiberglass.

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts
A good body man should be able to fab one up for ya, maybe even a custom sound guy(they fab up boxes for speakers and such)....
You can get the glass and resin at a parts house and play around some if you're handy(if it turns out alright, then apply it to the seat)

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I love this, particularly from a function standpoint. I'm always throwing my wallet in the saddlebag - would be nice to have a glovebox of sorts. Thanks for the pics. :cool:

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
if you buy the smuggler you won't have to worry about carrying your wallet with you, it won't have anything left in it :D.
Good point. :D

I can just stick my license and registration in my shirt pocket. Maybe I'd need a hose for siphoning gas...

·
Registered
241 Posts
I haven't followed your mechanical troubles and therefore don't know if you've been able to ride much with the new seat, but is the little backrest bit functional/comfortable, or is it just show?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts