Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 60 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Am I the only one that's really bugged that the direction of the flames on the air filter cover isn't parallel with the direction of the flames on the tank/fenders? Now _that's_ embarrassing.
Now that I look again, the direction of the flames on the rear fender are even worse: they're pointing _down_. Flames should always point _back_ regardless of their location. Sheesh.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I see (mostly on my HD friends bikes) one long leather braid/tassel/whip (or whatever you call it) hanging from one handlebar side. I can’t imagine dodging that thing while riding on the interstate. Guess it’s a fashion statement???

·
Registered
82 Posts
I do have to say that well done header wrap looks better than a badly rusted header pipe. I sourced silicon spray blended with high termperature paint for my last wrap job. Saturate the material then wrap carefully with even seams. Looks much better than exposing the automotive flex pipe I used in conjunction with an EBay slip-on for my Ducati 900 Sport.

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
I see (mostly on my HD friends bikes) one long leather braid/tassel/whip (or whatever you call it) hanging from one handlebar side. I can’t imagine dodging that thing while riding on the interstate. Guess it’s a fashion statement???
IIRC, those are called "get back whips", and some people claim there's supposed to be a weight on the end that allows them to be used as a weapon. Ohters claim they're supposed to make you more visible to other drivers. I find that last claim laughable.

"Gosh, I didn't see that 700lb, chrome and running-light covered motorcycle with a 250lb guy on it, but that 3ft long bit of braided leather sure got my attention."

Personally, I think somebody had bet they could come up with a product even Harley owners would not add on to their bikes -- and lost. Though after finding out about the fake kick-starters, I think I'll have to abandon my theory that H-D owners are any worse than others when it comes to adding crap to motorcycles.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
IIRC, those are called "get back whips", and some people claim there's supposed to be a weight on the end that allows them to be used as a weapon. Ohters claim they're supposed to make you more visible to other drivers. I find that last claim laughable.

"Gosh, I didn't see that 700lb, chrome and running-light covered motorcycle with a 250lb guy on it, but that 3ft long bit of braided leather sure got my attention."

Personally, I think somebody had bet they could come up with a product even Harley owners would not add on to their bikes -- and lost. Though after finding out about the fake kick-starters, I think I'll have to abandon my theory that H-D owners are any worse than others when it comes to adding crap to motorcycles.
I'm a Harley owner and would never add pointless crap, ape bars or bells, I think your find its not a brand thing you get people doing some really pointless stuff and laughable things on bikes regardless, I just think you probably see more Harleys where you are than I do where I am, I see more jap bikes with some really messed up mods.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Many do have lead weights on the end and those can be used to wack cars that have pissed off a biker. I have a friend who claims he had the driver-side window busted out of his pickup by one after he accidentally cut a guy off.

From what I understand, here in California they're illegal if they can be removed from the bike without tools.

As far as I'm concerned, they pose as much of a threat to the biker as anyone the biker might try to use one on—at least while the bike is moving. As someone already wrote, one quick yank and the bike is going down. That quick yank could be caused by a human or it could get hung up on whatever the biker swung it at.

Pete

·
Registered
848 Posts
Many do have lead weights on the end and those can be used to wack cars that have pissed off a biker. I have a friend who claims he had the driver-side window busted out of his pickup by one after he accidentally cut a guy off....
I never understood the mindset of bikers that extract "revenge" on cage drivers for whatever reason. Far too many borderline psychotic people out there. The older I get the more I realize this. Trigger the wrong person and it will cost you your life by impact from a vehicle or a bullet.

·
Registered
149 Posts
An old friend's dad used to ride H-D in the 1930's. His explanation of ape hangers was that on the narrow highways of the time, you could pass with your hands [and bars] over the top of the fenders of the cars [think Model A, etc., 'wing fender' style] going in opposite directions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Get back whips are illegal in California. I know someone who got arrested for having one on his bike. He was booked into jail on a weapons charge. California has a Penal Code for them.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Am I the only one that's really bugged that the direction of the flames on the air filter cover isn't parallel with the direction of the flames on the tank/fenders? Now _that's_ embarrassing.
You're not alone, there. How about the rear fender flames going down? Unless it's a torch, flames don't go down. They ain't torch flames.

I worked with a girl who was very proud of the large flames decals she put on the full length of the sides of her new Chevy. They were put on backwards.

41 - 60 of 166 Posts