Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm pounding this out just before bed because I really need to vent after an 8 hour day spent working on my research vessel dockside followed by a 6 hour night of trying to install my new Baak headlamp with the Motogadget speedometer. I've seen these haven't been mentioned much on Triumphrat, so I figured I'd shed some, ahem, light on the matter.

First, the good: They're freaking beautiful. I've got a 2012 T-100 which was more or less stock when I bought it. I've done quite a few modifications and upgrades, but I've been lusting after that streamlined control look of the custom Bonneville builds which harked back to the bikes of old. And boy does this headlamp cut out the clutter. I got rid of the bulky twin cans above the lamp, rid myself of those horrendous turn signal ears, and am overall very satisfied with the modest look of the front end.

Now the nightmare begins: The install was monstrous. The package arrived with no instructions but luckily I knew I could find what I needed on Baak's website from browsing the night before. Unluckily for me, their website had crashed today leaving me out in the cold. No problem; I'm a resourceful guy. A quick google image search got me what I thought I needed. I unbolted the bars and existing light, slipped the ears off, and dropped in the new headlamp brackets. Easy peasy.

The wiring was next; oh what joy! All I needed to do was hook up the control unit to two existing connectors just aft of the trees and under the main post. Off came the tank but, surprise, there were no connectors to be found. Checked the other side; nada. I looked everywhere, followed the wiring harness back, removed the side covers, sooo much time spent peeling off ten year old electrical tape... nothing. I resigned myself to the fact that I would simply have to get the electrical diagram and start cutting and splicing. Naturally, the new wiring harness color code did not match the old. "Damn, this isn't going to be easy," I think to myself. I figure I can probably get an idea of what goes to what by popping the old instrument covers off and at least separating the tach from the speedo. Low and behold, there were my missing connectors!

Onward... the connectors found, I decided it was time to pop out the halogen lamp sent with the new light and drop in my sexy LED light. To start, the Baak light was an absolute pain to take apart start to finish. The chrome ring didn't want to budge after the single retaining screw was removed. I knew my chances were slim to none of not scratching either chrome or paint if I stuck a flathead in there, but it had to be done. I scratched both (minor) but got the damn thing apart. I really have to hand it to Baak for simplifying the headlamp retaining system, but without instructions, I was left to tediously pry the retaining springs holding the halogen reflector to the finish ring. Finally got it apart and went to drop in the LED light. Surprise again! It didn't fit by about the space of a millimeter. Why Baak would design a headlamp ever so slightly smaller than the standard 7 inches is beyond my comprehension. So it looks like I'm devolving back to a halogen lamp. Lucky me, they didn't even send me a bulb or ballast. Ef!

Now here I should mention that I had e-mailed Baak a few weeks before informing them of my plans and asking about keeping their reflector as I would be subbing my own LED lamp. Naturally, I never got a response. Guess I should have parle'd the francaois.

I finally get the old reflector back in and once again it is a nightmare to align and set. Finally got it, though. The single retaining screw for the chrome ring didn't want to cooperate but I finally managed that too, but not before scratching the hell out of the bottom of my new headlamp on the rectifier. Guess I should have relocated that first. Finally got it all back together (minus the actual part that makes light). And decided to call it a night.

Tomorrow I have connectors to wrap and secure, a tank to bolt down, a rectifier to relocate, and should probably actually but a light bulb, but after six hours of this, I'm beat.

Make no mistake, these lamps are beautiful but if you want an easy install, a company that is responsive to e-mails, and good directions, a bucket that will accept every other motorcycle light ever made, or even a bulb, this is not your rodeo. If I had it all to go over again, I would have bought the Motogadget guage and controller and taken a hole saw to my existing bucket, but here we are.

Anyway, I've got to get up early tomorrow and return all the tools I stole from the boat before the Chief Engineer (Mr. ChEng) finds and murders me. Night!

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
crikey, impressive work and first post. 👏
now, how about posting some pictures

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not great shots, she's dirty and there's a bit of clutter, but here ya go...

Tomorrow, it's on with a new exhaust wrap, a chain tension and lube, and getting rid of those old, hideous plastic throttle controls with some new stainless ones and push buttons from Purpose Built Moto.

Attachments

·
Registered
909 Posts
Frequently surprises me the things people find hideous, and conversely the things they apparently don’t.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts