Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
The handlebar clamp does indeed look lovely and I'd really like one on my Street Scrambler, however the top clamp on mine is obscured by the sat nav mount so I'd never see it which is quite frustrating.

The replacement clamp is arguably the best value item in the Triumph accessory catalogue too.

I peeled off the ugly stickers before I'd left the dealership; no mess left. The top one is particularly frustrating as neither the sticker nor the handbook are actually that useful when it comes to running in - the sticker shows where the non-existent tacho needle would point during the unspecified running in mileages, whereas the manual refers to percentages of the maximum speed without stating what the maximum speed it (and indeed if it's engine or bike speed)

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
How are people getting the tank stickers off? It seems like I can't get them off without ruining the paint.

View attachment 715174
Removing sticker without damaging paint finish: Lift the edge of the sticker with your fingernail and gently peel off. Remove what's left of the glue using a soft cloth thoroughly wetted with rubbing alcohol. Easy!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Oh, wow. Those stickers just come right off. I feel dumb for even asking. I had read something in the manual about attempting to remove those stickers causing damage and had been afraid to try, but I guess it was referring to something else. So much better now!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Oh, wow. Those stickers just come right off. I feel dumb for even asking. I had read something in the manual about attempting to remove those stickers causing damage and had been afraid to try, but I guess it was referring to something else. So much better now!
Those stickers are designed to come straight off - otherwise they'd be under the clear coat.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I think the stickers the manual is referring to are those with a clear coat over them, like on the side covers. Guys who have tried to remove these usually say they had to sand down and completely refinish, because attempted removal made a real mess.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks Chris, just placed my order. Now I'm thinking the black leather diamond design seat would look nice too. Maybe next year.

Paul
Let me know what you think of that bib when you get it! I'm still thinking of getting one as well. What color did you go with?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Black, same color as my seat. I like to keep things simple.

Paul

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Made some additional tweaks for not too many dollars that I wanted to share.

#1 - The most expensive was actually this pair of machined silver and black union jack badges. Set me back $85 for the pair from Mototrio (link), but I just loved the look

# 2 - The cheapest tweak I've made. Removed the ugly gray headlight clamps, matte black automotive spray paint from Home Depot (link), put them back on. $6.68 for the can of paint. I'll probably still end up swapping out the brackets with something nicer, but this is at least better for now. This picture also reminds me I'm not crazy about the spedo. I like the simple analog look of it from the front, but not the bulbous cheapo plastic look from the back. Suggestions welcome.

# 3 & 4 - Fleabay bar end mirrors $22 (link), Oury grips $15 (link). Functionally I have no problem with these cheapo mirrors. I'm not crazy about the look, but they look way better than the Mickey Mouse ears and I can't afford fancy ones right now. These grips are clearly designed more for function than looks, I just wanted to see what the fuss was about. They are pretty damn cozy. Still, I got some Biltwell Thruster grips as well that I'll put on when I can finally afford my diamond pattern leather seat (manufacturer TBD, recommendations appreciated)

NOTE ON GRIP INSTALL - I saw people saying compressed air helps, but I don't have an air compressor, however I did have one of those cans of compressed air for dusting electronics (the kind with the narrow little straw). It actually helped a lot. You can stick that little straw right under the grip and the air helps get the grip on/off.

# 5 - Another fleabay find. Little faux leather satchel for... tools? snacks? I dunno. It was $12 so I figured what the hell. Strapped right on to the bike frame.

20191221_112329.jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
One more. I liked the matte black paint results on the headlight brackets so much I decided to give the flashy street scrambler side panel a spritz.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Some of my overpriced Triumph accessories came in and after I put them all on I came to the realization that some of the things I thought I'd notice, I don't. While some of the things I thought wouldn't matter, made a huge difference. Like these little machined caps that I have to strain to see, not worth it at all. However, the machined handlebar clamp is beautiful and it is front and center in my main view every time I ride. Totally worth it.

Anyone else want to share any LITTLE upgrades they feel made a big difference?

View attachment 715088 View attachment 715089 View attachment 715090 View attachment 715091

·
Registered
98 Posts
For me the best improvements to my t120 were the cat removal and fitting the 39 tooth rear sprocket. Both really improved the ride-ability of the bike.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Just a few $$ for jar of Testors black paint, and a lot of patience, to purdy up the handlebar clamps.
Paul

8AD07C73-F2A2-4F8F-B6AC-70AD0BE5A49B.jpeg

·
Registered
58 Posts
I got a few presents for Christmas the really added to the look of my bike, I think. I especially like the throttle body covers.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts