Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of my overpriced Triumph accessories came in and after I put them all on I came to the realization that some of the things I thought I'd notice, I don't. While some of the things I thought wouldn't matter, made a huge difference. Like these little machined caps that I have to strain to see, not worth it at all. However, the machined handlebar clamp is beautiful and it is front and center in my main view every time I ride. Totally worth it.

Anyone else want to share any LITTLE upgrades they feel made a big difference?

Bike1.jpg
Bike2.jpg
Bike3.jpg
Bike4.jpg

·
Premium Member
817 Posts
I really didn’t mind the stock throttle body and inspection covers but after installing the chrome ribbed numbers I can’t image my bike without them.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Painted throttle body covers satin black and relieved the lettering.
Painted the fuel tank seam matt black to disguise it and give the appearance of a seamless tank.

Sprayed the mesh red in the side panels, you can see how obvious the tank seam is in that before picture.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really didn’t mind the stock throttle body and inspection covers but after installing the chrome ribbed numbers I can’t image my bike without them. View attachment 715098
Nice! The little touches come together really well on your bike. Like an orchestra of shiny.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Painted throttle body covers satin black and relieved the lettering.
Painted the fuel tank seam matt black to disguise it and give the appearance of a seamless tank. View attachment 715141
Sprayed the mesh red in the side panels, you can see how obvious the tank seam is in that before picture.
View attachment 715139 View attachment 715140
Nice! Do you do the painting yourself? I was considering investing in a very basic diy powdercoating setup, but aside from that I don't think I'm capable of anything that actually requires artistic talent.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Nice! Do you do the painting yourself? I was considering investing in a very basic diy powdercoating setup, but aside from that I don't think I'm capable of anything that actually requires artistic talent.
Thanks
The tank seam was just painted with some brush on matte black automotive paint I had spare.
The throttle body covers were sprayed with satin black, removing the paint on the lettering was a bit tricky, you can't just turn it upside down and rub it on some Emery as it will remove the paint on the raised sections around the screw heads and also the curved lines between the lettering are slightly lower than the letters themselves, although I have seen some people have just done that. I used small piece of key steel with some very fine wet and dry wrapped around to carefully remove the paint.
I have seen some home powder coat setups but to be honest unless you're doing major bike restorations it's not worth it, plus you need an oven big enough to bake your object in.
One thing I have used though is satin black BBQ paint, even if you don't need the heat resistant properties when it's baked in an oven I found it was a much tougher paint finish than regular spray on automotive paint, I've used it on my bar ends from the Daytona as the regular paint would wear off after a short time, and just used it on the Thruxton tail tidy. Also used it to tidy up the the silencer to the frame screws which I always thought looked a bit ugly, cut off the excess thread that wasn't needed and sprayed the allen bolt and nut black with the barbecue paint.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Rather then pay the price for black intake covers I plan to reach for the rattle can.

Paul

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
"...I came to the realization that some of the things I thought I'd notice, I don't. While some of the things I thought wouldn't matter, made a huge difference..."
Those words are true beyond moto concerns.
To the topic, I was going to buy barrel grips to alleviate what one member dubbed "T-Rex hands", so I thought I'd experiment with what thicker grips felt like first. In basement was some rubberized bicycle tape and hockey tape, total cost zero dollars. Grips feel great! So does this very small protest against consumerism.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Something are worth spending a few $$$ for, I'm thinking comfy grips is one of them.

Even though I live in Florida every one of my bikes has heated grips, even the Vespa 300. Why???? Because I never know where I'll be riding. In 2013 I did a cross country trip on a Vespa 300 and the heated grips came in handy on those sub 45 degree cloudy, rainy, and snowy days. Been cross country many times on a variety of different bikes, the 28 day Vespa tour was by far the most memorable. If we can append big $$$ on a motorcycle we surely can afford the $$$ for a few bits and pieces that contribute to our safety and to our comfort.

Paul

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Those words are true beyond moto concerns.
To the topic, I was going to buy barrel grips to alleviate what one member dubbed "T-Rex hands", so I thought I'd experiment with what thicker grips felt like first. In basement was some rubberized bicycle tape and hockey tape, total cost zero dollars. Grips feel great! So does this very small protest against consumerism.
I think the tape looks good, but I am partial to the rough, straight out of Mad Max look, so maybe that's why I like it. How are people getting the tank stickers off? It seems like I can't get them off without ruining the paint. I was hoping there were some cool covers for these tanks out in the expanse of the internets, but I couldn't find any. I am considering buying something like the tank strap/bag below, to cover up the stickers and give my bike a little more character. I just can't decide if it looks cool or looks like a man purse.

Maybe something like this??.,,

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh my.... I gotta have a tank bib like that. It's a beautiful thing Mr Scooty. When can I get one??
I originally saw it on the Omega Racer website here: Omega Link, but then I came across what appears to be be the exact same product for less $$$ on Etsy: Etsy Link

·
Registered
754 Posts
Thanks Chris, just placed my order. Now I'm thinking the black leather diamond design seat would look nice too. Maybe next year.

Paul

1 - 20 of 38 Posts