Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm officially bored. Too cold to ride or work in the garage. Temp outside is 22 F. I was moping around the house yesterday telling my wife I was bored and she told me I should restore another bike!!!!!!!

Well you don't need to tell me that twice, so I'm on the lookout for another project. I think I would like to do an even older Triumph. I love the looks of the late 50's T110 and the 59 Bonnies. Someone posted pics af a beautiful T110 from the late fifties a while back and I have to say it blew my mind.

So keep your eyes open. If anyone sees anything matching numbers that needs work let me know. I plan on doing a complete nut and bolt resto. My wish list:

59 Bonneville
anything 56-58
64 Bonnie (I like the color)

Thanks

Peter

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Quag
maybe I should go see my cousin in Maynard where its warm
according to my thermometer it is 6.6F here now. Last nite went down to almost -3F with a nice breeze for added wind chill
and to think I used to ride in this.

There is a 59 T120 for sale in the latest TIOC newsletter a mere $12000. OR bushybester has one for sale in south africa there was thread a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GPZ I'll keep in touch.

K-I was thinking about Bushy's. I have an uncle in the motorcycle business and I think I could get him to get it shipped. I'm not sure what kind of a PITA it would be. I also have friends over in London that I could use to get something from the UK. Again I don't know what the regulations would be.

I look at it this way, it took me a year to come across my TR6. I got the time, hopefully I got the patience.

Maybe I should have my misses talk to your misses and see if we can't convince her to let you have another one.

[ This message was edited by: quagmire on 2007-02-04 18:42 ]

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
don't know about getting something from the UK. From what I have seen pre unit prices are up over there and then you still have freight and customs.
In this country I'd try British Only(Michigan),
Domi-Racer/Accessory Mart (Cincinnati) or Baxter Cycle(Iowa) first. Also ask the people you became acquainted with during the last crusade and don't forget Walnecks.
What ever you get remember sheet metal on the pre units
is not cheap.

Lastly (and I'm serious on this) figure out which one you REALLY want. Post a picture where you can see it and concentrate on that bike. It will come to you when the time is right. About this time I can hear a bunch of you laughin 'OL KADUTZ is nuts. Well maybe so but look at my list of bikes every Triumph came to me in the order I wanted it and at my price(with out beating up the seller). The least was $250(runnin more or less)the most $1500. I don't gamble so someone give me the Vegas odds on that.

204 T120RT's were made and two times other than my bike have I squatted down and seen that on a bike.
One time was when I stopped by an old Triumph shop that I knew. Hadn't been there in a while nice day for ride. Owner says to me come out back see this 70 we just bought. Wasn't unloaded from their truck more than 1hour.
I look at bike very very clean 600/700 mile original. I squat
down and there it is T120RT. Owner says we sold one of these new "I Wonder?" They pulled old sales records and guess what it was my RT they sold new. He GAVE me all the papers on my bike.
Again Vegas people what are the odds?

Ok guys maybe I am nuts, some one complained about one or more of my postings and basically said that among other things.
If you do what I say how much did it cost you? Doesn't work you say I'm nuts. If it does work for you then your ahead and you still think what you want. Of course you can always check with somebody in Chicago maybe they have what you want. :-D

[ This message was edited by: KADUTZ on 2007-02-04 20:15 ]

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Well I'm officially bored. Too cold to ride or work in the garage. Temp outside is 22 F. I was moping around the house yesterday telling my wife I was bored and she told me I should restore another bike!!!!!!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

What!!!!, What are you feeding this woman??
She's got to be an angel sent from heaven.
Pete
You might want to call Jim's cycle in warren RI. he may have
or can give you a lead on something?
Then there is Steve at cyclemart in Plainville Ma.
Both those guys deal with old Triumph's
Hey, ..... who knows you might get lucky.
Bill

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Bill, I didn't know anything about those guys. I'll have to call them.

Thanks to everyone for all your input. Do me a favor and keep your eyes open. Please PM me or email me if you get any leads. I can arrange shiping from anywhere.

Peter

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quick update: Baxter cycle has a 1956 T110 complete matching numbers, magneto needs rebuilding, otherwise bike runs. He also has a 1966 6T complete great sheet metal and original Nacelle in great condition.

Both are about $6K (cough) but I won't need to buy any new sheet metal or major parts.

Just curious whatpeople think about the two bikes? Price aside,what would people rather have and why?

The 6T intrigues me, nacelles look cool.

[ This message was edited by: quagmire on 2007-02-05 16:21 ]

·
Super Moderator
13,530 Posts
The '56 is pre-unit and significantly different from the '66 which could almost be considered "modern" compared to the '56.

Both deals seem fair enough.

I'd rather have the '56 simply because I don't yet own a pre-unit Triumph except for a '62 basket case engine.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the link Heavy, but I could see myself easily dropping 6 grand just to get it to run.

Does anyone have pics on what the 6T or t110 look like?

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Quag
Kinda the advice I was gonna give you but hit the wrong button and erased the whole thing. (thats what I get for tryin to use two fingers.)
I think you are light on what will need to put into the EBay bike. Also I will be very surprised if it changes hands for less than $3000 US and really expect for closer to $4000. Remember one just went at auction for abut$20,000

Baxter used to offer a video of bikes for sale for a few dollars Maybe he has one of these two bikes. Or did you mean pictures in general of these models?

Both the Baxter bikes you said are about $6000(plus freight)not chump change to me. BUT if you want a nice original bike I guess this is what they are going for now. Then how much are you going to spend to redo the bike? Was not your original idea to do a nut and bolt restoration? The two you have found,while they may be nice, seem like the expensive way to go.
I know none of my business have a nice day.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
K,
for pics I was hoping someone around here might have a pic somewhere they could post.

I talked to Randy Baxter yesterday and he said the only thing I need to get fixed on the T110 is the magneto. Otherwise he said the bike runs, or did when the mag worked and the sheet metal has no defects. Blast it and paint it. So you pay up front or you pay later. I'd rather pay up front and have original stuff than pay later for repro stuff.

But the bikes have been ther for a while and I can wait a few months, too cold here to do anythingin the garage.

By the way, not to show my ignorance, but does someone here want to tell me what a magneto does? I know its part of the charging system but that's all. :???:

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Hi guys.

I have looked at the bike posted on EBay, who ever buys the bike has a mountain to climb.

Older 8 stud head, one would require new later engine and 9 stud head, with several missing brackets, gauges, fenders, footrests, carb parts etc and so the list goes on, looking for hens teeth.

I don't know what the availability of these spares are over where you may be, but I can assure you there is very, VERY little in South Africa.

After rebuilding my bike for more than 15 years (slowly, VERY SLOWLY), as I found spares, gaining experience, knowledge and information.

I know of only 3, 1959 Bonnie's over hear and I would like to say mine is the most complete that I know of.

I have tried my utmost to establish the number 59 Bonnie's made, with no success.

Lets say there were (029663-020076 engine numbers for 1959) = 9557 bikes (500 and 650 models) made in 1959, of which these were 5T Speed Twin, T6 Thunderbird, Tiger 100, T 100, TR5 Trophy,TR6 Trophy and T120 Bonneville, thus 9557/ say 7 = - + 1365 bonneville's. I would say there may not be many around.

I reckon to buy the EBay lot for the matching numbers only, and using a later complete engine, pre unit gear box may be a bargain. As long as the nacelle and all the parts are available. correct fenders may also be a problem.

Good Luck.

BB

·
Registered
674 Posts
k, do you live in the mountains? It very seldom gets that temp here. -9f once. I think we are about 2700 feet. Sixties today. Guess what I did ? Quag, I'll watch the OKC times and do a little search. You never know. This is not Triumph country Too staight and flat. :( Okie

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
To interested parties the EBay "bike" is up to $1200 plus.

Okie
I now live in the Burbs of Chicago. and survived to 10 -20F
days of the 80's and 90's
the most fun I ever had was figuring out how to thaw out a lock on a gas pump at -26F.
Ok I know my Okie posting was :eek:fft:

If anyone objects :moon: :-D

Have a GOOD DAY MATE

ALSO we are concerned about our friends down under between fire and floods we are thinking about you guys.
Krazy K

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Hi all.

I reckon it may be worth buying the EBay posted 59 bonnie for the engine and chassis numbers only and the odd spares.

If you could get or have a spare engine with a 9 stud head, and perhaps if one could get all the other missing parts especially the carb, (hens teeth) nacelle, fenders and gauges, it may be worth the while sacrificing another bike.

Considering what they sell for.

Any idea how many 59 bonnie's were manufactured? I estimate about 1350 in total for 1959.

BB

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
The 59 Bonnevilles had the eight bolt alloy delta heads. The nine bolt would be a nice upgrade, but not original. The 63 T120 (and 64?? )heads used the smaller PU sized valves. Later heads used larger valves. Starting in 66, they used shorter valve springs with thicker bottom retainers to better control the valves at high revs. The shorter springs have higher harmonic surge frequencies.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts