Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I always smile at the prevalence of talk around Meriden vs. Hinckley and lately even about its three recently established factories at Chonburi. But what about its other sites?

Triumph began producing motorcycles at their long-forgotten Much Park Street factory in Coventry in 1902. Founded by two German nationals --Siegfried Bettmann and Moritz Schulte-- the company was linked for some years to the Triumph-Werke Nürnberg AG company in Nürnberg, Germany (which produced motorcycles and typewriters).

In 1907, following the company's rapid expansion, Triumph motorcycle production moved to a former spinning mill in Priory Street, also in the heart of Coventry as well as three other factory sites. The Priory Street Factory was destroyed by the Luftwaffe in November 1940, production continuing throughout the war years at a temporary site in Warwick. It was only in 1942 that a purpose-built factory on the Birmingham to Coventry road near Meriden was opened, returning motorcycles to full (civilian) production in 1946. Following a well-publicized sit-in and the establishment of the Meriden Motorcycle Co-operative, the factory finally closed its doors in August 1983, just having put the Meriden site up for sale and making plans to move to the old Cash's Lane Dunlop factory, a smaller factory site in Coventry.

Here are a series of images, including those of the Hinckley factory, the fire in March 2002 and the new factory in Chonburi, Thailand

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
As should the BSA Small Heath factory which built Tridents and T25 Trail Blazers for Triumph.
Great idea Watch this space! Not only did I ride a 1954 BSA A10 to work each day, but I worked but a stone's throw from the Small Heath factory as an apprentice, so it is very near to my heart!

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
:) I went through a phase of visiting motorcycle factories, a few years back. I went to Meriden on my Bonnie, Mandello on my V11, Husqvarna on my Tiger, and Voxan on my Sprint RS. I almost made it to the old MV factory at Verghera, but I couldn't find it! I know, I'm a saddo!

·
Registered
85 Posts
:) I went through a phase of visiting motorcycle factories, a few years back. I went to Meriden on my Bonnie, Mandello on my V11, Husqvarna on my Tiger, and Voxan on my Sprint RS. I almost made it to the old MV factory at Verghera, but I couldn't find it! I know, I'm a saddo!
There's commerative placard at the AMC site in Plumstead. Too bad that's all, as some of the best British bikes came from there, including the Norton Atlas and P11.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts