Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Panther...I've had a 19-t on my Bonnie for about a year now and in my opinion, it's one of the best mods for the money. I can hang out in 3rd all day if I want ( over 85 mph indicated and haven't hit the rev limiter yet in 3rd).
Cruise around town, hit the on ramps and you're doing 70 quicker than snot and the bike's not even laboring. Average mileage is about 45 to 47 mpg's.

Shorty

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Cruise around town, hit the on ramps and you're doing 70 quicker than snot and the bike's not even laboring
This is something i seemed to notice. Maybe i'm wrong, but i swear it seems as tho it's actually quicker ! My theory is this. The bike has enough torque so that the higher gearing isn't enough to keep it from getting to the limiter just as fast as with the stock sprocket. And if that IS true, then the bike WOULD be quicker because the gearing now gives you a higher speed at a given RPM. So if you can hit the limiter just as fast then you are accellerating quicker.

Anyway, true or not it sure feels like it. Certainly no slower in any case. Now 2 teeth might be a different story, i dunno. But the bike just feels so right at this point i won't be doing that anythime soon if ever.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Well lord tundering jaysus what took ya so long Daz?

The extra tooth makes all that carb work kinda irrelevant now doesn't it?

Cruise baby, cruise....

P

·
Registered
64 Posts
A 17 tooth upgrade (over the stock speedmaster 16 tooth) will drop your rpm's at highway speed by about 350 to 400 rpm at your normal crusing speed.
It helps with mileage.
Acceleration isn't hindered.
Lowers rpm's a tad.
All good things.

If you've been on your bike long and ride by the "sweet spot sound of the motor" you'll have to "remap" your mind. If you upgrade and hit your ususal sweet spot sound rpm range you'll be moving down the road faster than your use to (meaning ticket time). If you value your speedo over the tach/sound well then you just shouldn't be riding a bike then......

Big Steve

21 - 26 of 26 Posts