Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Just thought you might be interested in a few thoughts on comparisons.
I have been looking for a winter come commuting bike as I hate getting my 08 BB wet, well I hate cleaning it actually. As part of this I tested a couple of bike s this weekend.

First I tried a BMW f650gs: Although it says it is a 650 is in truth an 800 Par twin. Its an enduro style bike that weighs about 180 k and produces around 70 bhp, 6 speed gear box. It’s a great bike to ride, bit taller than the BB and much more chuckable, you certainly notice the lighter weight. Its very good it traffic with controllable ABS brakes and an amazing turning circle. On the open roads the incredibly ugly body work does a good job of keeping the worst of you and you feel about 10 mph less wind blast than my BB with its small screen. Fuel is under the tank and they are suppose to do around 60 to 70 Imperial MPG.
Surprisingly the engine is less refined than the Triumph and does not have the bottom end, but you do get noticeably more go if you use all of the revs.

Next I tried was a Honda Deauville: Certainly lives up to its reputation, its very hard to describe other than it’s a sort of default motorcycle. Goes, goes around bends and stops, but in a strangely forgettable way. The bike is heavy 230 to 250 depending of which brochures you read. Quite long and a 700 V twin. The bike really need giving a good handful to do anything and has no bottom end at all, linked ABS are great and best part of it. The weather protection is very good but I had to fiddle a lot with the screen to stop some very unpleasant turbulence. Lyn said it was very good on the back.

I am going to try a Kawasaki ER6f next week as the price is so low, 3999 GBP new.

So the one thing that came out of all of this is, cleaning apart, the BB is by far the best of the lot. Until you start trying some other twins you forget how good the engine is, smooth, flexible, and just downright pleasant to use. The rest of the bike feels very solid and planted and its even the best for the passenger (Triumph K&Q fitted): even has the nicest gear change. If I could pick and mix, I would have the Honda breaks and 6 gears.

Barry

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
I'd just learn to clean the BB if I were you :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am very open to ideas on how to clean it when its been out in the rain in Under an hour, But even my Triumph dealer has admitted that the Bonnie was never designed a a all weather bike

Barry

·
Registered
39 Posts
You sir, are a dill...
Why didn't you compare a Ford Mondeo Diesel, or sitting at home in front of the telly? (More comfortable and economical for sure).
*** have Bonnies and water cooled BM Truble U chook chasers got in common, and Dough Boys?
If the only thing you can come up with is the 'cleaning performance' maybe you need to get a life...

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
Mine is certainly not the sparkliest Bonnie Black in the world and I freely admit to cleaning her very rarely. I do however ride it in all weathers - I live in England after all - and I'm pretty confident that hosing her down with clean cold water after a run (and ideally blowing her dry with a leaf blower) will keep her in near showroom condition.

Also, WD40 on the engine casing works a treat. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Why not buy a used Bonnie? Or any of the other twins? All bikes die if they're not maintained and the Bonnie family make it easier in that they don't hide the dirt/salt behind fairings. Plus, you already know how to ride and maintain them.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You sir, are a dill...
Why didn't you compare a Ford Mondeo Diesel, or sitting at home in front of the telly? (More comfortable and economical for sure).
*** have Bonnies and water cooled BM Truble U chook chasers got in common, and Dough Boys?
If the only thing you can come up with is the 'cleaning performance' maybe you need to get a life...
My My how touchy.
I wrote this because I thought some may be interested in the comparison with two other similar size (if different intended usage) twins.
If you think that the gs650f is like a Mondeo Diesel I suggest you go try one.

Barry

·
Registered
913 Posts
I'd just learn to clean the BB if I were you :D
+1
Simple Green (or similar, the auto variety) and WD-40 will do wonders in foul weather prep and protection. SG first of course.

Or just go buy a new bike if you feel like it. You've clearly put a lot of thought into it. Nothing beats the Bonne in the smile-per-mile quotient (is that the right word?).:D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
+1
Simple Green (or similar, the auto variety) and WD-40 will do wonders in foul weather prep and protection. SG first of course.

Or just go buy a new bike if you feel like it. You've clearly put a lot of thought into it. Nothing beats the Bonne in the smile-per-mile quotient (is that the right word?).:D
Have to agree on the smile quotient.
My BB is currently sprayed with AFC50, which seems to work pretty well and doesn't seem to attract the dirt like WD40

Barry

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Tiger230 comment is trite and irrelevant.

Thanks for posting your comparisons. But sorry you even had to bother with a comparison.

I would not touch a Honda, BMW or anything other than a Brit Bike (BB) but that is because I am a closet Imperialist and I like the fact that Brit Bikes are on the comeback.

As to cleaning - get a Thruxton - alloy wheels, easier access and nothing a good dose of cold water will not resolve.

Plus more stylish, more maneoverable, and still British.

Get your Davida helmet and goggles out and live the Brit Bike lifestyle. At least you will be different.

And what has a Ford Mondeo got to do with this Forum??

Absolutely hee haw!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts