Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...is that it is smoking and throwing every warning light.

I had the bike apart to adjust the valves for the past week but since the shims are back ordered I put it back together tonight to get out and ride tomorrow. I pulled it out of the garage and it fired right up but now it's smoking, showing the engine and fuel lights, and I smell something burning. The only difference is that I re-oiled the air filter(k&n) and it has new plugs. I'm kind of frustrated to say the least. Anyone have a clue what could cause this? The engine sounded fine and wasn't knocking or misfiring. :eek:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Tore it down and put it back together again. I forgot to tighten one of the valve cover bolts and plug in the low fuel sensor. The bike runs and drives fine now but there is still an engine light on. Any ideas? Should I just ride it till it goes away? I tried the reset trick but it doesn't work on pre-2002 sprints and didn't do anything on mine, a 2000.

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
...... good that you've got it sorted - it can seem a bit tedious but double checking every step of the reassembly before moving on to the next step usually pays off;)

You can get some interesting smells on first start up from residue (oil,grease) on the exhaust from the rebuild.

What 'reset trick' have you used? - is it the 3 warmup/cooldown cycles?

Grant:cool:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...... good that you've got it sorted - it can seem a bit tedious but double checking every step of the reassembly before moving on to the next step usually pays off;)

You can get some interesting smells on first start up from residue (oil,grease) on the exhaust from the rebuild.

What 'reset trick' have you used? - is it the 3 warmup/cooldown cycles?

Grant:cool:
this one http://www.triumphrat.net/maintenance-tips-and-tricks-for-your-sprint/65847-reset-all-settings-on-ecu-on-sagem-sprint.html

I'm gonna disconnect that battery and let it sit and see what happens

1 - 5 of 5 Posts