Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was talking to a fellow on the way out of work tonight about motorcycle gear and how far things have progressed since I was a kid. Heated gear and the Apple Warmer-type things for the helmets and waterproof boots and suits and real rain gear and everything is just leaps and bounds better than when I was slogging through the NJ winters back in the late 70s.

That made me think about the bike I was on, my 06 Tiger.
Huge, comfortable Corbin seat, electric start, triple discs, three cylinders, water cooled, 9500 RPM red line, 4 valves per cylinder, DOHC, long travel suspension front and rear, halogen headlights, carbon fiber exhaust canister, radial tires, hard luggage, all sorts of aftermarket windscreens to try out, synthetic oil, fuel injection - this isn't anywhere close to the latest and greatest yet it would have seemed like science fiction back when I was dreaming about buying a Norton Commando when I grew up.

It's pretty obvious that the industry is headed towards electric motorcycles (sooner or later) and it struck me: we're actually living through the Golden Age of Motorcycles.

Things will progress further, of course, with two steps forward, one step backwards and maybe a step sideways as things always seem to go with motorcycle development, but I'm pretty sure we're living in the Golden Age right now.

For not too much money we can pick up a bike which would have handily won the Daytona 200 back when I was a whippersnapper. Sport touring, adventure touring, retro standard look, you name it, what we can currently lay our hands on is better than anything I could have dreamed of 40 years ago when I was pleased as punch, kick starting my beautiful new Bonneville.

This is not a slam on the vintage stuff, either, as that certainly has its place but for day in and day out, I think we're living in the best of all possible worlds.

·
Registered
104 Posts
For not too much money we can pick up a bike which would have handily won the Daytona 200 back when I was a whippersnapper.
Driven home when a guy showed up at a race a few years ago with a TZ750 and proceeded to run laps that would have had him trailing the 600 Supersport field. And that TZ was upgraded with modern suspension and brakes!

·
Registered
104 Posts
It's pretty obvious that the industry is headed towards electric motorcycles
Let's hope not. There are few things dumber and less efficient than using an energy source to create another energy source, transmitting down skinny little wires, loading it into a toxic battery pack and only then using it to propel a vehicle. Are we really that stupid? :eek:

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I'm unusually fortunate I'll have another 2-3 decades to see what happens.
All you have to do is look at Triumph's latest project to see where we're headed.

It would not surprise me at all if the snot nosed punks of the future are whizzing around on glorified two wheeled blenders and four wheeled can openers, carn sarn it. Why, back in my day we used to burn dead dinosaurs and laugh about it, that's how tough we were, these limp wristed twerps don't know sh*t from shinola, buncha candy asses, etc.

They'd just better stay the hell off my lawn!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All kidding aside, I think of a talk I had with my grandfather.
He went from horses to the Model T and a very early Harley and then saw the first propeller airplane and the atomic bomb and nuclear power and the jet aircraft and the lunar landing.
I asked him if he ever thought that he'd see those things and he laughed and went, "Nope!"

The electric vehicles are still in their infancy but there are a lot of people working on them so yes, I think that I'm a dinosaur and I'm happily living in the Golden Age of the gasoline powered motorcycle.

·
Registered
130 Posts
It's too bad Top Gear (to my knowledge) doesn't do motorcycles. But Google old supercars Top Gear, old sports cars Top Gear etc., and there is ample evidence we are in a vehicular golden age.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
241 Posts
He went from horses to the Model T and a very early Harley and then saw the first propeller airplane and the atomic bomb and nuclear power and the jet aircraft and the lunar landing.
I asked him if he ever thought that he'd see those things and he laughed and went, "Nope!"
Wonder if your grandfather ever thought we'd pay $5 for a cup of coffee... or ANYTHING for a bottle of water?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I always thought people born about 1895 lived through the most amazing time in human history. Think about it - they saw horses give way to cars & motorcycles, they saw the Wright Brothers fly then airplanes and jets, they saw men go into space and walk on the Moon, they saw the computer age ... it's just absolutely amazing what occurred in their lifetime.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I asked him if he ever thought that he'd see those things and he laughed and went, "Nope!" .
A friend once told me about his uncle who was born in 1900 describe first look at a model A Ford. He said he went down to the dealer in 1928 when the new model A's came out.
He remembered thinking that the automobile had been perfected, wire wheels, electric start, roll up windows. How could it get any better than that?

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I always liked the notion that people would simply fly apart if they exceeded the 60 MPH speed barrier.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I always liked the notion that people would simply fly apart if they exceeded the 60 MPH speed barrier.
Or that the scientists said a drag race car could never exceed 150mph in the quarter mile (current record is something around 338 miles per hour) because no car could exceed 1G in acceleration (current drag cars average 4 G's during a quarter mile run with an initial launch of around 8 G's).

·
Registered
561 Posts
I always thought people born about 1895 lived through the most amazing time in human history. Think about it - they saw horses give way to cars & motorcycles, they saw the Wright Brothers fly then airplanes and jets, they saw men go into space and walk on the Moon, they saw the computer age ... it's just absolutely amazing what occurred in their lifetime.
My Grandfather was born in 1897 & lived through all this. Many years after he had passed away in the early 80's I had this exact same thought & regretted that it had never occurred to me to ask what he thought about all those changes he lived through.

Semi-interesting side note, I still have his Apollo 11 commemorative coffee cup. I remember him using that mug.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Golden age of motorcycles in the UK? 1930s, provided that you can afford a Brough or two. Empty roads, performance far in excess of most cars, no speed limits out of town

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wonder if your grandfather ever thought we'd pay $5 for a cup of coffee... or ANYTHING for a bottle of water?
I can answer that one for him: NO.
He would have laughed and gone without while my grandmother bitched at him for being so cheap until he finally gave her the money.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Today's Coffee Cups (24 oz each) All USD

1) $1.85
2) $1.29
3) $1.00

Average $1.38 or 46 cents per 8oz traditional cup.
Not what I see the majority of Starbucks customers paying and hardly the 10 cent "bottomless" cup I grew up with.

I was only there for the WiFi... not the coffee :wink2:

·
Registered
251 Posts
The golden age of gasoline powered motorcycles may be now but the best is yet to come. Electric motorcycles will be easier to own including no valve adjustments, no engine overhauls, no oil and filter changes, even better reliability, no winter storage precautions, quieter engines/motors, fuel up at home for the most part, easier to keep the engine clean and best of all, no loud exhaust noise to rattle my front window and offend my hearing.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
The golden age of gasoline powered motorcycles may be now but the best is yet to come. Electric motorcycles will be easier to own including no valve adjustments, no engine overhauls, no oil and filter changes, even better reliability, no winter storage precautions, quieter engines/motors, fuel up at home for the most part, easier to keep the engine clean and best of all, no loud exhaust noise to rattle my front window and offend my hearing.
And where is the fun in that :grin2:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts