Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Recently I changed my 2012 Bonneville Mag Wheel stock mufflers for a set of EMGO reverse cone mufflers.
After that, I imeddiately noticed some loud popping while on deceleration.
After reading som info on this forum about this known issue on EFI bikes, e did a very simple mod that solved the issue completely. No more pops.

Very easy and cheap solution : 2 little rubber grommets (1£).
I like doing simple and easily reversible mods, without removing too much things of the bike ou doing extreme customization.

Just detach the AI supply pipe from the airbox, and block both ends. Popping ended.
I may be doing a remap somewhere in the future.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Good going and welcome to the forum. If you do a search for AI removal you will find a few more steps that you can make to get rid of the weight and have easier access to your spark plugs. You are going to like it here if you do your own maintenance or mods.

·
Premium Member
2,315 Posts
Good work! Another quick way to test impact of AI is to just clamp/pinch the hose closed or stuff something in it (see the marble threads). But it the long run it is a good idea to completely remove all the gubbins under the tank that runs the AI (bulky/heavy solenoid that will continue to click open/closed if it is still electrically connected to the bike) and the two metal pipes blocking the access to spark plugs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there any drawback of running the bike with the AI blocked, with stock exhaust or aftermarket one ? Or all all just advantages ?

·
Premium Member
2,315 Posts
Well, you are letting more unburnt hydrocarbons into the atmosphere, so, yeah, that does harm....but not to your bike. Since the extra air enters the exhaust ports, not into the cylinder combustion chambers, there should be no real effect on how the bike is running. With SAI, you will get higher exhaust header temps, which leads to bluing of the pipes (which some folk as myself, kinda like). Without disconnecting/removing the SAI solenoid, you will still get the characteristic audible "click" on/off while idling. You will get a ECU error code if you disconnect the solenoid from its electrical connector unless you fit a resistor or disable the warning code using TuneECU. Removing the metal pipes on the cylinders for better access to spark plugs and a cleaner looking bike.

·
Registered
123 Posts
There are two reasons for a decel pop. If you lean it out it will decel pop. If you make it too rich, it will decel pop. A good tune leaves you with no decel pop. The AI is an artificial inducement of a lean condition on initial acceleration. The emgo cans let the air flow thru and it leans it out. I'm not sure how the AI affects that on decel but I have removed mine too in anticipation of a Tune ECU load when it warms up around here. With just the free flowing exhaust and the AI delete mine was running great before it got too cold to ride.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts