Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 60 of 569 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes, I saw the link and have it saved to my laptop, just take it out to the garage and all the info is close. I will most likely check on the fender tomorrow. I've already done the lower triple. The last idea looks alot easier! I'll take pics as I go and when finished, then post. It is a fun project and it will make a great ride better. That is a good price for forks. I got mine off ebay in Nov. for $126.00 at the door and were in better shape than expected. Cheers, Maury.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I did all but the stops, got the spacers. Will do the stops on the bike as you said. hard to judge where to put them. I cut the stock stops off and removed ball bearing. will put roller bearing on as I get closer to installation time.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Ken, 2 things...

1. You just freakin' *ROCK* for posting this. Seriously.

2. Any idea what bars end up being closest to stock RS bars? I'm thinking Woodcraft 2" rise clip-ons look close, but they sure are mighty pricey....

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Super Moderator
21,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Hey Kit - does that mean you're maybe thinking of doing it? :p

See those Suburban Machinery bars - I would think those might be pretty close/
Of course OnD's Convertibars give you huge flexibility to make them whatever position you choose.
For pure 'bling' in addition to actual really brilliant piece of engineering, check out Gilles Variobar. Stunning aesthetically and variabililty in three axes.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Well, I've been thinking about rebuilding the Super III forks in the closet & swapping them in since before I bought this bike... Yeah, I'm thinking about it pretty hard.

I'm looking at the bar options, will report what I go with.

Am I crazy for thinking there's a speedo stop on the stock fork? Does one need to be added to the Suzi part?

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Super Moderator
21,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
...Am I crazy for thinking there's a speedo stop on the stock fork? Does one need to be added to the Suzi part?
That is a most excellent question!!!!

It doesn't actually need a stop on the fork - all of the parts are held in compression when you tighten up the axle so there is really no opportunity for it to turn. The center part of the speedo drive is effectively clamped between the wheel bearing center and the axle collar-nut. There is 100Nm (72.5 lb-ft) of torque on there so no danger of the drive spinning.
Just make sure you orientate the speedo drive for the cable exit appropriately before you tighten up the axle.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Yowza!!! That's a lot more torque than stock!

Which, of course, brings me to another question.... :D

What are the torque values for the Suzuki front end?

Google answered with these TL1000 specs:

Part N-m Kg-m lb-ft

Steering stem head nut 90 9 65
Steering stem lock nut 80 8 58
Steering damper bolt 23 2.3 16.5
Front fork upper clamp bolt 23 2.3 16.5
Front fork lower clamp bolt 23 2.3 16.5
Front fork cap bolt 23 2.3 16.5
Front fork inner lock nut 15 1.5 11
Front fork damper rod bolt 40 4 29
Front axle 100 10 72.5
Front axle pinch bolt 23 2.3 16.5
Handlebar set bolt 10 1 7
Handlebar clamp bolt 23 2.3 16.5
Front brake MC mount bolt 10 1 7
Front caliper mount bolt 39 3.9 28
Front caliper housing bolt 21 2.1 15

Apologies if the formatting gets clobbered....

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
According to Stefan at All Balls, their kit #22-1050 for the Yamaha XV1700 Road Star Warrior contains the correct bearings. $37.77 for the set, which seems like a real bargain!

Also according to Stefan, they unfortunately do not make a wheel spacer in the required size.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Super Moderator
21,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I just ordered the head bearings for DaBrew's swap this morning:

Now it is even more convenient to order if you have an early (99-04) bike as there is an available kit with single part number (22-1050) that matches the requirements of the combo required for the Suzuki swap into 99-04 Sprint.
This happens to be the configuration of bearings used on a Yamaha Boulevard Cruiser, model XV1700 Road Star Warrior.

To Recap from earlier:

For the top bearing, on the 05+ the bearing is also the same as the Suzuki top bearing, again 30/55/17.

So to purchase new bearings for your late (05+) model install you can order bearings & dust seal kit for either the 'Busa/Tl or standard 05+ Sprint

For the 99-04 models, the top bearing is a different size however;
but there is a custom bearing available that has the required 30mm ID for the Suzuki stem and the 52mm OD required for the Sprint Steering head. This bearing is an NTN 4T-CR-0643 (30 x 52 x 16) ....
As aforementioned, you can easily order these on-line if you have a late model Sprint by simply specifying the 05+ Sprint or Hayabusa kit - these come compete with dust seals and bearings.

For 'Busa or TL or 05+ Sprint application (all same), this is simply a 22-1003 kit

For 99-04 Sprint, specific bearings required were individually defined as
(Bearing / Dust Seal)
99-3519 / 33-1003 (30-55-17 mm)
99-3521 / 33-1005- equivelant to NTN 4T-CR-0643 (30 x 52 x 16)

But there is/was no provision to order individual parts on-line, only 'standard' kits

However this 'special' combination required for 99-04 is actually now available as a kit for a Yamaha model, kit # 22-1050:

Go to http://www.goallballs.com
Do a 'vehicle look-up' on 2008 Yamaha XV1700 RoadStar Warrior
Steering Bearing Kit is 22-1050.

You can buy directly on-line - the 22-1003 for late model bikes is ~$33 and the 22-1050 for the 99-04 is ~$37 (each is plus $7 shipping)

I have also incorporated this information back into post #5, to update it there in the original reference.

·
Super Moderator
21,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
According to Stefan at All Balls, their kit #22-1050 for the Yamaha XV1700 Road Star Warrior contains the correct bearings. $37.77 for the set
:p He had that info at his fingertips I bet Kit - I had e-mailed them last night & had a reply waiting this morning with that info - I didn't even notice you had posted this while I was creating my own reply & being interrupted by other distractions.

Did he think that was curious to get two inquiries on that in same day? Or maybe he thought we were one & same person?

So yes, easy to order kit without having to call anyone - do it right on-line by looking up that model.

·
Super Moderator
21,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Here are the Axle Spacer Mods for Early Model (with Speedo Drive)

Remember these only apply to the 99-04 - on the 05+ no mod is necessary to collar nut and the spacer dimensions are different.

I've talked to zoran at Twin Works Factory Racing about doing the axle spacers for this conversion:
I gave him my sleeve spacer design/dimensions from the GSRX conversion re-sized for the Sprint and also the dimension for the collar-nut mod - both on their way to me as I write. He's doing the collar-nut for me on exchange basis.
I'll add pics later in the week - have to run out of town for a couple of days.
I'm sure he will accommodate anyone else if you ask nicely! :p

The left axle spacer for the GSXR is the one in this pic - the axle slips into it so the OD is all the same rather than the step function. No functional difference, just aesthetic.
He has the dimension for the early Sprint wheel conversion - anyone with late model let me know & I'll provide amended info for that.

Here's the complete spacer kit:
Zoran at TWF produced the custom spacer to my design as shown above and machined the collar-nut to size.
Also shown are the 2.5mm M10 caliper spacers.

This is the assembled axle with the new spacers - note that the left side spacer (right in picture) actually slips over the 'fat' part of the axle.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
<...> take the standard left-hand spacer with you and get it cut down to length at the same time.
(std spacer is 25 x 35 x 21.25 - cut length down to 12.5mm)<...>
So wait, the standard Suzuki spacer has the 35mm OD we're looking for?

That'll just leave me with bars & fender to deal with, I think....

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Super Moderator
21,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
So wait, the standard Suzuki spacer has the 35mm OD we're looking for?...
No Kit, the OEM Triumph Sprint spacer.
There is no Suzuki spacer on that gen - one side 'spacer' is the collar-nut; the other side is the axle itself, which protrudes beyond the inner fork boss into the Suzuki wheel grease seal, as does the collar-nut on the other, Both the collar-nut & axle at that point have 32mm OD and correspondingly the Suzuki wheel grease seals are 32mm ID.
Otherwise you could actually use the piece that is trimmed off the collar-nut - but it is only 32mm dia, not the 35 of the Triumph. (the left side is inconsequential since the speedo drive is what fits in the grease seal on that side on the Sprint wheel)
If you want to prep all the parts up front without taking your own bike down in the interim, then even a brand new Triumph spacer is only $11. Or available from various other Triumph axles on EBay (just make sure its a 25mm axle and not a 20 as some Triumphs are). 97-01 S3's and Daytonas for example would be good source - NOT 02-04 however!

However - you could actually use the 32mm remnant removed from the Suzuki collar-nut and fit a 32-47-6 seal in place of the OEM 35-47-6 Triumph item; but seems mooot since you are still machining regardless, so why complicate things instead of just machining the available Triumph spacer which will become superfluous anyway?

In the case of the 05+ the collar-nut is left intact & you machine the length of both left & right OEM Triumphs axle spacers
(the difference being no speedo drive on the right side); this again retains the 35mm grease seals in the OEM Triumph wheel

·
Super Moderator
21,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Well, I did just win a set of TL1000S forks & trees off eBay....

Cheers,
-Kit
Interesting! :p
Curious as to what you paid (PM me if you don't wish public)
Did you see the link I referred earlier in the thread? There is complete set of forks/axle/triple tree/top clamp for $140 on TLZone. Says it needs seals but a steal at that price as long as the tubes are not scratched. I was surprised not to see someone jump on those.

Looking forward to you joining the 'club'.
If you have any questions that aren't covered in enough detail or confusing, be happy to help as required - although I do like the approach of asking in thread where everyone benefits from the question & answer.

We should have DaBrew, yourself and ibelso all now in progress. All dabews bits are ready to bolt on - only waiting for the bearings, bars & risers to show up, which unfortunately won't be till after the weekend. :(

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi,

my ask: can I also use for the ST1050 a USD fork from the Speed Triple 1050? Or is the geometric wrong? Or something other problems?

regards
Juergen

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hi Ken,

2 Questions...

What is the Sprint's triple clamp offset? & Can you tell me what the length of the Standard Sprint forks is?

The GSXR1000 & Hayabusa are listed on the Ohlins website at 730mm.

I also found this rather neat piece of kit!

Cheers, G

41 - 60 of 569 Posts