Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

561 - 569 of 569 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
I finished the install and went relatively smoothly. Now best to have all parts. The one area where you can run into problems is to use handle bars or clipons. Bars will require the shortest bar riser you can get, Protaper makes good ones for $35. Bars will need slightest rise or drag bars. As for clipons its basically Gilles since space is a premium when you are reusing fairings. I hope this info helps out.

Now i took fairing off to make it easier to change bulbs and i have sausage fingers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
21,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #564
^ Your image of the forks side-side @jer5ak illustrate an important point ...... (I know this wasn't the purpose of your pic, but it prompted thought in me to mention this)
Now most compare the length of the forks when pretty much unloaded (as per that image) and get really hung up about the fact they are shorter (see my early post on Geometry considerations for the whole story however - that's only one factor)
What is a better comparison would be to compare the LOADED length with bike sitting normally as opposed to the unloaded length.
You should note that OEM springs are 0.75kg/mm while 'Busa are 0.91 so it WILL make a difference (although preload will also have an affect on the final length).

·
2,951 Posts
Good point DEcosse, in the photo showing the difference. I went with an adjustable kickstand on my bike, becsuse of the loss of height. I also dropped the rear on mine.

Jeremy, I went with Helibar Trackstars. They were expensive, but are right about the same as stock bars with Genmar risers.

Glad to see her back together

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi @DEcosse

I'm new to Triumph, because in Indonesia, it was so rare to even see one. Is it possible to swap 06-Sprint ST 1050 with USD Fork from Tiger 1050? As both are using 320-mm rotor I suspect there will be no caliper issue?

I'm intended to keep the Sprint ST front wheel (love the looks), only change the triple tree and forks ( I change all the speedo to digital anyway since I'm doing a caferacer project)

Big thanks! I just found this thread in 2009 and its nice to have you still active 10 yrs later

·
Super Moderator
21,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #567
... Is it possible to swap 06-Sprint ST 1050 with USD Fork from Tiger 1050?
I have not researched the various measurements for the Tiger - you'll need to do your own digging on that one - having said that I did a little research to get you started.
You will definitely need the Triple Clamps from the Tiger as the forks will not fit into the Sprint clamps.
The wheel does seem to be 25mm axle, so that is a plus (but you'll need to work out the spacers required);
- however the spacing of the rotors is likely to be different (wider I would bet) to accommodate the Radial Calipers (which you would also need).
But here's a valuable piece of information for you - the Sprint and 05-07 Speed Triple share the same wheel - but the rotors are different - they have different offsets to accommodate the afore-mentioned radial calipers on the Speed Triple.
Some research shows the Speed Triple and Tiger Rotors are the same application
http://www.braking.com/catalogue/dettaglio_prodotto.php?codice_articolo=WK083L
Therefor if you fit Speed Triple (or Tiger) rotors to your Sprint wheel, it should give you the correct spacing.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks for the original post. Just wrapping up the 'busa fork swap on my '06 Sprint. Went pretty smoothly thanks to your info on spacers.

Pretty much just need to finish paint work on the rest of the bike and figure out what I'm doing for gauges (looking for a S3 or Tiger 1050 gauge cluster).

·
Registered
548 Posts
Yes the bike is a little lower now but I have minimal preload. It’s almost like a Ducati on its side stand, I doesn’t lean far. I read the conversion article many times before taking the plunge. I went through 3 different bar risers and settled on Rox. They gave me the 2” back from stock position.

561 - 569 of 569 Posts