Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchase many bikes and restore them to the road. I never keep them except for the Sprint I got a couple years ago. Did all the parts replacement since it sat for 15 yrs and added the Hayabusa front end.

Long story short I traded it on the forum to a member who has my first Sprint RS.
HAP as he is known and is an avid bike collector decided to swap and I got the Daytona.

So I am going to get this baby ready to go back on the road doing all the repairs documented on the site. As a promise to HAP I’m going to take pictures and show it so he and everyone interested can see and maybe use the info on their bikes.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First thing to check is the fuel pump since it screached when it wasn’t working. So out with all the old and in with the new.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Parts needed for the fuel plate. The one fuel dry break broke off which was a bummer. Now matter how much heat and picking it didn’t come out. So ordered a tap which is the most expensive item except for the 2” of fuel line . If anyone needs a tap don’t hesitate to let me know, I will loan it out.

Now time for spark plugs. Old out and new in. Why have a rough running engine when you can change now. The Daytona is a little more cramped than the sprint with my sausage fingers.

A little fouled. New ones gapped and installed.

With air box off now is the time to change vacuum lines. I use silicone 1/4” from HKS.
Being 21 years old it’s best to change them out. The silicone bends nice and no kinks.

You can see how easily they rot out. Many a head ache from these.

Just crumbled when I just looked at them.

How nice and pliable the new lines are. No leaks here.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Keep it up. I am doing the same thing to my ‘97 T595 and will be following along. Are you going to replace the coolant lines? Steve

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Coolant lines are Sampco that we’re aready installed. I have new tires ready to be installed and I will service the bearings at both ends.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I have to admit I miss that baby but I just don't have the time to work on my bikes.
Having already been riding a bike (black 2004 RS) I got from Steve who got from Jeremy I knew he was the one to bring life back into the Red Daytona.
The Red ST he built is a true sport/tour bike with the Suzuki front end for the style of riding we enjoy.
A bit of health problems have reduced my riding miles from the old average 400 mile day down to fewer 200 mile days. But both the RS and now Red ST get ridden and the Kwak and Blue RS I got from Kit are local jaunt bikes.
Can't wait to see what is in store for for the Daytona.
Hap

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So yesterday I had the Daytona out on a test drive with a forum member doing the riding while I was doing test fit of bodywork on his bike for another forum member. When he returned I noticed drip marks on driveway, so I followed them right to the Daytona. Lo and behold the clutch gasket gave me the the side eye and said “ take that for leaving me for another project “ and spewed out oil all over. I’m restoring a Datsun while I have all this time. Time to order the gasket since I don’t want stink eye anymore. She will be fixed just in time to go for a maiden ride to the mountains.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I had to make a mad dash to LA to get grand child. Found out I would be with in 60 miles of my red 955 Daytona. Stopped in on way back to Texas.
Working with some one on the web buying/selling a bike is always time consuming to ascertain validation of trust. Deal done then to meet prove he was indeed the same person you had only chatted with.
His garage is home to two beautiful bikes, my old one and fantastic newish speed triple plus parts, rebuilt 240 Z engine just waiting to install.
I stood day dreaming because the 99 Day was as beautiful, clean and shinny as the day I bought her in 98.
He asked if I wanted to hear it. Turn of the key, touch of the button and the low animal rasp instantly but bled from the power max.
I miss her but love the ST trade.
Hope we can trade for something in the future. True gentleman.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im always in for more bikes to restore. Just have to sneak past management. I await the day i can get my hands on the 1200 Daytona. I was nice meeting you sir, always good to know where my bikes go. I hope your drive was good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
373 Posts
Nice bit of Horse Trading, I really like your Datsun, I always liked Datsun early Z cars (doesn't everybody) growing up on the Texas Gulf Coast and later New Orleans....nothing last very long, the humidity and salt air destroy anything made of metal. I'm jealous of the fellows out west where rust is something that happens to other people.

FYI my Daytona 1200 is running pretty darn good now and I am hoping to start putting on some miles once the Carona is lifted. You seem pretty knowledgable on early Daytonas, got a friend on the Isle of Jersey with a Daytona 1000, wants to trade for my 1200 to do a CRK project. I like the idea of a 1000 but I'll have to ride the 1200 for a while first. Do you have any insight on the 1000?

BTW your ST is just right, I had a red 955 but it got stolen year before last so thats gone for good.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No real difference between the 1000 and 1200 as far as horsepower is concerned. It’s the torque from the 12 is where it’s at. The triumphs I have now are the smallest displacement I’ve owned. I like the big bore bikes better 1200 and up since I’m tall and really don’t speed as fast as used to sorta kinda. The Datsuns from that era rust when you just look at them. I’ve jumped in the rabbit hole on what was “ supposed “ to be a fix an oil leak and drive it. I will post some pictures along with the Daytona as I proceed now at a fast pace.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Thanks, my original plan was to fit a Don Vesco Rabid Transit fairing to the 1200 since I have one and dont have plans for it. The radiator is in the way, but they were fitted to gold wings, so a solution is out there. Keep the info on the projects coming, I would love to go west next year and find an early Datsun sedan or truck to resto rod, doesn't everybody though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts