Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

The Daytona 1200 Special Edition Registry

105K views 293 replies 105 participants last post by  mjppeep 
#1 · (Edited)
The Daytona 1200 Special Edition Registry:

In 1998, a year after going out of production, Triumph re-launched the 1200 Daytona as a limited production run of only 250.

It was in black and gold and had the 6 pot calipers from the Super III. Each one had its own numbered plate on the headstock. The factory told me that one of the badges got damaged and when they ordered a replacement it came in sequence as number 251.

I got mine in August 1998 and I'll keep it forever!

I'd like to start a log to keep track of where they all went and when they were last seen. If you've got one, or you know where one is please help me compile a registry.

Please post below and let me know about it and provide that number!

What we know so far:

No. 001 Originally Triumph's press demonstrator. Updated by hodgy December 2007: Recently seen for sale by hodgy in a salvage yard in Durham, UK.

No. 002 Originally in stock at Ongar Motorcycles in Great Dunmow, Essex, UK in August '98. Current location: Unknown.

No. 003 Believed to have had its first two owners in England, then bought by tritonwow (triumphrat.net) of Hawaii (reported December '07).

No. 003 The first owner was a Brit EXPAT who bought the bike in California. Bought by tritonwow (triumphrat.net) of Hawaii, sight unseen! (reported December '07). Completely stock, apart from aftermarket alarm. Currently has 10,000 miles.

The Union Jack is replaced on the left hand side with a RAT symbol (below the Special Edition decal)

No. 009 Sold by "G-daddy" in Antrim NH, US on TriumphRat.Net around September '07

No. 068 Supplied new in August '98 by Bridge Motorcycles, Exeter UK. Current location: Unknown.

No. 090 Owned by John McAdoo of RT595.net. Bought in Aberdeen during the summer of 2007 with a little over 6,000 miles showing. Had a few previous owners, thought to have originally been supplied in Watford.

No. 131 Belongs to vfr99999 of triumphrat.net as of 12/07. Westhampton ma. "10k, nice original bike, except for the bits that wear out!"

No. 132 Allen McLeod (Hamitlton, New Zealand) imported from USA in January '07

No. 150 Sandy (South Wales, UK) fitted the engine from this Daytona SE to a mate's Thunderbird Sport January '07!

No. 152 Tigger (SE Cornwall, UK). 1 Owner from new.

No. 218 Owned hodgy (Durham, UK). Bought from salvage yard in Durham and undergoing repairs, December 2007.

No. 242 Owned by John Birkens of T595.net. Brighton, UK as of December '07

No. 248 Seen here: http://www.touringandtenting.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php?t15657-50.html
Trying to make contact 12/07

No. 250 Seen here: http://www.touringandtenting.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php?t15657-50.html
Trying to make contact 12/07

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice one Hodgy! I can update the list.

Do you have a photo of 218 I can include? It doesn't matter if it's mid, or even pre-restoration, it'll just make it more interesting if it is!

Tigger.

#6 · (Edited)
I've got number three. I believe I'm the second owner but might be the third (I'll have to check my email string with the PO. The PO told me he thought the first two were in England. I'll gather info for you.
An aside, I was always curious if Triumph had kept a registry of these wonderful bikes! (at least where they shipped and sold.)

#7 ·
Thanks tritonwow.

We've now got some history on numbers 1 to 3...

Good idea; I shall contact Triumph over the next week and ask then that very question.

Do you have a photo I could post up on the register?

Tigger.

#10 ·
Where is the registry going to reside? Is it in this thread or somewhere else?
If so a hard choice on where to put it; Daytona Deliberations or T3 Sport and Touring. I usually get better responses on my D12 questions in the T3 section.
I know there are other Special Edition years. Maybe the MODS could make a "Special Edition Registries" forum or feature with each years' Special Edition thread. I'm not sure how many there would be so possibly old and new could be represented.
I just woke so there are most likely aspects to this I'm missing; I need cup o Joe!
Oh, I have a pic in my albumn let me know if you need a different one.

#12 · (Edited)
Initially, I was going to make the registry the first post on the thread and just let it grow and grow! As I'm new to this site I'm not that familiar with the different sections yet, I'll check out the T3 section in a minute.

If the mods would provide a Special Editions Forum that this thread could go in, that would be great!

I saw the photo in your gallery, I was hoping you'd be okay if I used it. Thanks.

#11 · (Edited)
Good idea!

Yes please, would a moderator consider making this thread sticky?

It's a shame you missed out on that SE, bradtx. I guess this thread could become a good source of information for anyone looking to buy one in future...

Tigger.

#13 ·
The link to #003:

Stock (as I'm told by previous owner) except for the alarm I installed. I also have the grab rail and green Triumph dust cover.
An interesting piece is the Union Jack is replaced on the left hand side with a RAT symbol (below the Special Edition decal)

Tigger,
I didn't realise #152 was yours! I had some questions:
Was the gold pinstriping/accents a factory option, dealer option, or your handiwork?

#15 ·
Thanks for the information. I'll get it up on the register with a photo.

No 152. Well, there's a story there. I ordered number 068 and then had to postpone buying it for a few weeks and when I went back, they'd switched it to number 152.

I went straight from ordering it (August '98) up to an open day at the Triumph factory.

While walking around the factory they had the guy who hand paints the petrol tanks painting a Thunderbird tank. I got into a conversation with him and told him about the Daytona and we got on fine, so fine in fact that I invited him down to Cornwall for the weekend, paid his petrol money (and a bit!) and he brought his paint brushes with him!

I had taken all the panels off the bike and between us we did the design and he painted it! I was chuffed to bits with the results and it's completely unique! Even got a photo in the Rat magazine at the time. The dealer was less impressed, he could believe we'd currupted a brand new bike! :rolleyes:

I will have had it for 10 years this summer and I'm keeping it forever!

Tigger.

#19 ·
I don't know much about the CE's, could you tell me more and post a picture?

Tigger.
Sure, check out my topic from a little while back:

http://www.triumphrat.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=861808

These are the 100 year anniversary bikes that Triumph put out. They're all Aston Green (although, there are rumored to be some red ones that were made before Hinkley burnt down) and they have the single sided swingarm.

#20 ·
1999 Triumph Daytona 1200 SE, Number 128 of 250

I purchased Daytona 1200 SE, number 128 of 250 on Dec. 29, 2005 from the original owner , on consignment at Euro Cycles Triumph dealer in Odessa, Florida with only 828 miles on it. Odessa is next to Tampa. Today this motorcycle has 3,199 miles on it.

I have made the following modifications: Race Tech forks with Gold Seals, Hagon rear shock, Dynajet carb kit, K&N air filter, stock mufflers de-baffled.

Runs very nicely, and the suspension modifications helped in the handling department. However, is somewhat thirsty as I only get 28 m.p.g, sometimes 30 m.p.g., (U.S. gallons). Low fuel light usually lights up around 120 miiles. Maybe this is a result of the jet kit. The carbs were completely disassembled and cleaned when the jet kit was installed and I am wondering if they need some adjustment because of the poor gas mileage. Would appreciate knowing what m.p.g. others obtain.

Attachments

#21 ·
Thanks John D.

I'm currently building a web page to host the list in such a way that it can be stuffed full of photos of the bikes as the list builds. It should be ready within the week and I'll post a link to it as soon as it's up and running.

Meanwhile, as far as fuel consumption goes, I've made a point of not checking in the 10 years I've had it!! I'm guessing it's probably pretty horrible! :rolleyes::D

#22 ·
Ok, I was doing a little research about Hinkley Triumph "Special Editions" and it seems there were quite a few in the last decade. 99 Daytona 1200, 02 Daytona CE, 04 (possibly 05 too) Speed Triple and Daytona, 07 Speed Triple 1050, 08 Daytona 675.
All (except the 02 CE) seem to have the JP Black theme, the 07 seemed to be very low numbers of 50 built, BUT how many of the different years were actually numbered Special Editions? I know our D12s are. Did Triumph keep a record of VINs versus special edition number?
I was able to ride my '99 D12 SE for a few months when I was back in the mainland (USA) and I seem to recall I was only getting 28-30mpg. All running components are stock. I got mid 20s with my '95 D12 (when I was running it.) It's faster 'cuz it's yellow so that must be why the mpg is lower.
Tigger, it seems your paint scheme could actually be a "factory" special!

#23 ·
I was looking at a yellow one before I bought the SE, it sounds like it's a good job I didn't go for it then :rolleyes:

Come to think of it we even used the factory jigs to ensure that the stripe on the bottom of the fairing followed the sloping line that usually divided the colour section on the fairing from the black bit at the bottom, so it really is "factory" :D

As soon as I've got the page up and running I'll be in touch with the factory to see if they can help with any information on these.

Tigger.

#24 ·
Tigger,
I wanted to thank you about starting this thread. I had thought about it frequently but between everything else never got to it.
I like the single point repository for information on these wonderful machines and that you're building a site. I'm a little torn though because TriumphRAT.net is such a great community and would like to see it reside here.
I guess that's where my "numbered Special Editions" question stems from; if they are in fact only a few years that were numbered maybe the MODS could oblige us humble owners and keep the Daytona 1200 Special Edition Registry here in the community.
Thoughts?

#25 ·
I agree, I'd like to keep it here as well, though I am already up against (understandable) restrictions imposed on postings. For instance, I can only include a maximum of 4 photos on any one post.

I think I've come up with a good compromise though; the webpage that will host this register could be read only, with all new information and posts coming in from this thread. That way it can stay within here, with my site purely taking the bulk of the Registry.

That should work, what do you think?

Tigger.

#26 ·
Info on #33

Tigger,

I have found another potential listing to your register. A mechanic at www.SouthSoundBMW.com in Fife, Washington, U.S.A. has #33. I left a message at the dealership for him to join the register if he wishes. He may wish to sell it, but the salesman I spoke with told me he was undecided. I also saw it listed for sale on www.cycletrader.com but I do not know if the ad is still up. From time to time one can see 1200's for sell on that web site.

#27 · (Edited)
#226 is on ebay right now, it's in pretty bad shape. I'm a little suspicious about it's authenticity tho. The wheels aren't painted gold, the seat, exhaust cans, and windshield aren't stock. The Daytona logo on the side fairing doesn't look factory. It looks like it's been repainted. The seat cowl is also missing. Anybody else see anything weird about this bike or is it just me?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBI%3AIT&viewitem=&item=330198534817&rd=1

The ad reads like this:
"Up for auction is this 1999 triumph daytona 1200 special for parts.The engine has #3 connecting rod broken.It has knocked a hole in the engine case right below the #3 exhaust port about the size if a nickle.The fairings are in good condition,there is a scuff on the right side lower.(see pic)The fuel tank has a couple of small marks that should buff out.All of the brakes and drive train seems to be in good condition.I pulled the rocker cover to check the cams.Everything looked okay.There is a production number on the top triple tree #226 triumph must have produced only a certain number of this model.If someone knows anything else about this special edition let me know and I will post it.I purchased this motorcycle like this.What you see is what you get.Please if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.I would be happy to answer.Buyer is responsable for pickup and shipping.I will not crate or take this bike apart.Thanks for looking! colescycle"

I asked the seller if he didn't get the reserve would he consider parting it out but he's not interested in doing that. I wanted the headlight cowl fairing and side/tail body panels.

dc

#28 ·
I hve #169, bought last May in Carson City Nevada. I was told it had been sold in Chicago originally, has Helibars,Micron cans and possibly a replacement rear shock. Mileage was 22+k when I got it and is now 28 and change. Runs strong and got an average of 35mpg riding up from Carson City but still get about the same here in Alberta even calculating the Imperial gallon. Pipes are black though so I'm sure it is running rich. It also has a vibration at 5000rpm, especially on a trailing throttle that I haven't been able to trace. Love the bike though, it is my second 1200, I had a 94 before.

#30 ·
Hi,I decided to buy #218 just because it was in better pre accident condition and it was about £400 cheaper,#1 was probably the easier repair but did'nt look to be as genuine a bike as #218 plus it had approx 10,000 more miles on the clock.Hope this answers your question.Thanks Hodgy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.