Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

201 - 220 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have dusted off my 1200SE from the back of my garage. Owned for about 4 years but not ridden much. Sold my other bikes so Number 243 will be hopefully up and running properly soon. It's in a sort of semi touring spec with an LSL straight bar conversion, footrests in their lower position, MRA touring screen and centre stand etc. Very comfortable. It was originally registered by Triumph and then supplied to its one previous owner from Boyer of Plumstead London. Mileage is 24K. I have all the original bits including the exhausts, it has Quill carbon cans stamped with "For Road Use".. perhaps the "Not" has been polished out but has passed it's MoT.
I think I may have carb probs (old petrol/ethanol issues), my fault for ignoring it for last couple of years. Will be sorted. :D

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
#174 is currently on Craigslist in the US in New jersey:

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/4578852636.html

6800mi, asking $5000. Apparently when he bought it, he changed all the plastics, wheels, etc... but still has the original parts. We all know this can be a coin flip. Is there verifiable VIN info on these?
I've come across a few standard Daytona's being passed off as SE's over the years and this one does look a bit suspect. I would be concerned that we have a standard 1996 Daytona here, with a random box of SE parts that have never been fitted.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
Yeah, looking at his lengthy explanation of why it doesn't look like a proper SE explains it but I would definitely verify the vin#.
He says he has more photos upon request, maybe pic's of all the original parts AND the vin plaque/decal?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would be cautious with no picture of the original limited edition plaque.
While this bike appears to have the 3 piston calipers, it looks more like a 94 than an SE.
Another question would be, where is the standard passenger seat cover?

Either way, looks like a clean Daytona, just may not be an SE.

Greg.

·
Registered
96 Posts
After a year of sorting out my D12 SE (cleaning/tuning carbs, Racetech springs, grinding rotors, Nology coils, tires, tune, etc), and having owned about three dozen bikes in my lifetime thus far, I gotta say, the D12 is the bike for me. I'll ride it till I'm physically unable to ride anymore.

As an aside, of all the bikes I've owned, the only one I miss is the '05 955i.

·
Registered
79 Posts
#174 is currently on Craigslist in the US in New jersey:

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/4578852636.html

6800mi, asking $5000. Apparently when he bought it, he changed all the plastics, wheels, etc... but still has the original parts. We all know this can be a coin flip. Is there verifiable VIN info on these?
I purchased this bike yesterday from the original owner. He did in fact remove all of the original body work, wheels, etc at the dealership over 15 years ago because he didn't like the gold look.
Provided all the receipts to change it out and the cost of everything to make the change out...you wouldn't believe the cost even 15 years ago. He also had an original Triumph Tool Board WITH the tools and about 30 boxes of additional Genuine Triumph parts many of which are new in the wrappers
The original panels, wheels and everything else were carefully wrapped and stored for the past 15 years and everything is as new.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the passenger seat Cover

I would be cautious with no picture of the original limited edition plaque.
While this bike appears to have the 3 piston calipers, it looks more like a 94 than an SE.
Another question would be, where is the standard passenger seat cover?

Either way, looks like a clean Daytona, just may not be an SE.

Greg.
I have the original bill of sale from the dealership, Title, and every other sheet of paperwork this fellow could save and he saved everything. It is in fact a 1999 SE.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Relieved to hear it! I just can't understand why anyone would do that!!

John.
I'm still trying to figure it out...I think he may have thought the bike was going to be a real classic and worth a ton of money but I don't know.
I have new tachometers, temp gauges, fuel tanks, wheels, body panels, brake pads, spark plugs, and a boatload of other stuff, and I mean a boatload, that he accumulated over the years.
The #174 head plate was wrapped and protected better than Fort Knox.
He sold his TT600 about 2 weeks ago. If it was in the condition the SE is, I would have probably bought it also. Talking to him - he's been a Triumph guy all his life - he's 65 and I think he's owned like 30 different models. He can't see anymore so he gave it all up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The Daytona 1200 Special Edition Registry:

In 1998, a year after going out of production, Triumph re-launched the 1200 Daytona as a limited production run of only 250.

It was in black and gold and had the 6 pot calipers from the Super III. Each one had its own numbered plate on the headstock. The factory told me that one of the badges got damaged and when they ordered a replacement it came in sequence as number 251.

I got mine in August 1998 and I'll keep it forever!

I'd like to start a log to keep track of where they all went and when they were last seen. If you've got one, or you know where one is please help me compile a registry.

Please post below and let me know about it and provide that number!

What we know so far:

No. 001 Originally Triumph's press demonstrator. Updated by hodgy December 2007: Recently seen for sale by hodgy in a salvage yard in Durham, UK.

No. 002 Originally in stock at Ongar Motorcycles in Great Dunmow, Essex, UK in August '98. Current location: Unknown.

No. 003 Believed to have had its first two owners in England, then bought by tritonwow (triumphrat.net) of Hawaii (reported December '07).

No. 003 The first owner was a Brit EXPAT who bought the bike in California. Bought by tritonwow (triumphrat.net) of Hawaii, sight unseen! (reported December '07). Completely stock, apart from aftermarket alarm. Currently has 10,000 miles.

The Union Jack is replaced on the left hand side with a RAT symbol (below the Special Edition decal)

No. 009 Sold by "G-daddy" in Antrim NH, US on TriumphRat.Net around September '07

No. 068 Supplied new in August '98 by Bridge Motorcycles, Exeter UK. Current location: Unknown.

No. 090 Owned by John McAdoo of RT595.net. Bought in Aberdeen during the summer of 2007 with a little over 6,000 miles showing. Had a few previous owners, thought to have originally been supplied in Watford.

No. 131 Belongs to vfr99999 of triumphrat.net as of 12/07. Westhampton ma. "10k, nice original bike, except for the bits that wear out!"

No. 132 Allen McLeod (Hamitlton, New Zealand) imported from USA in January '07

No. 150 Sandy (South Wales, UK) fitted the engine from this Daytona SE to a mate's Thunderbird Sport January '07!

No. 152 Tigger (SE Cornwall, UK). 1 Owner from new.

No. 218 Owned hodgy (Durham, UK). Bought from salvage yard in Durham and undergoing repairs, December 2007.

No. 242 Owned by John Birkens of T595.net. Brighton, UK as of December '07

No. 248 Seen here: http://www.touringandtenting.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php?t15657-50.html
Trying to make contact 12/07

No. 250 Seen here: http://www.touringandtenting.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php?t15657-50.html
Trying to make contact 12/07
We own No 101 in mint condition with all original parts on the bike apart from the tyres that have been replaced. We are the 2nd owners the 1st put around 5,000miles on it in over 10 years. We had a fun year riding it to around 10,000 miles. Has been in storage now for over 3 years. Would be willing to sell to someone who would appreciate it. East Yorkshire, England.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I purchased this bike yesterday from the original owner. He did in fact remove all of the original body work, wheels, etc at the dealership over 15 years ago because he didn't like the gold look.
Provided all the receipts to change it out and the cost of everything to make the change out...you wouldn't believe the cost even 15 years ago. He also had an original Triumph Tool Board WITH the tools and about 30 boxes of additional Genuine Triumph parts many of which are new in the wrappers
The original panels, wheels and everything else were carefully wrapped and stored for the past 15 years and everything is as new.
You bought Ira's bike???

·
Registered
3 Posts
I own #131 here in Morrill, ME. Bought it from National Powersports in NH several years ago. Former owner must have traded it for a Harley as that is where NP picked it up. Now has just under 19k on it. Love it!! Bike rips!! Comfortable with the Helibars compared to stock clip ons.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I`ve just bought number 243 :smile2: It`s now living in Lincolnshire with just 24k on it.
Looking forward to taking it for a run when the roads are a bit drier :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Certainly big and heavy ...mine is fitted with a centre stand.....but I still haven`t managed to get it on it though!
I really like the 900 daytona`s, I`ve had four of them, but always wanted to try a 1200...and really it had to be a 1200SE

·
Registered
29 Posts
Stand

Haven't found an SE for sale out here yet - I'll keep looking. So I've only the "plain" 1200.
It has a centre stand too - but takes 2 of us to heave it up. Great for servicing etc - rubbish for out and about.
R

201 - 220 of 249 Posts