Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago I fervently added my say to the "would you buy your bike again" thread. I had just done the snorkel/restrictor plate/K&N/rejet job & was chuffed to hell about how well the bike was running. I love my Thrux I said, these bikes are so rewarding.
This is on top of around 1500 USD of "other" mods with bits a pieces sourced from wherever I could find to satisfy the malignant sickness of modifying these wonderful bikes.
Then it all changed, one negligent driver & my bike is totaled.
The cost of replacing the Tank, seat & engine covers is exorbitant so the insurance company said enough, "you can pay the salvage fee & do what you like with it or we pay you the insured value."
Stay behind me Satan. I now start wondering should I go it alone & really make this bike special OR look at something else.
Boys, putting aside all the emotion & passion for these bikes, they really have a lot of competition & now I find myself wondering what is it like not to have to grease a chain or rejet everytime I fart in the garage, to have ABS & FI, shocks that actually work & handling that does not need steering dampers & fork braces.
The price of the new bikes here has increased by 1500USD over the carb models I really don't know if it is worth it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry about your loss, hope you're ok.

you are right the mid-weight bike market is full of interesting models as possible alternatives to the Throx.

Ducati 696 Monster
Triumph 675 Street Triple
BMW F800 series
Kawasaki 650R

I'm sure there are others. If you do decide to salvage the Throx. you can re-build w/ an eye toward overcoming those niggling faults you mention in the stock bike.

Len

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
If you want a 955 rider's opinion, I don't think any of the bikes just listed would be a good replacement for a Thruxton. They're good bikes, but very, very different. Maybe one of the retro Guzzis or something like that, but Italian bikes are a whole different kettle of fish.

I'd say stick with this or another Thruxton, unless you've decided you want something totally different from your next bike.

·
Registered
68 Posts
glad you're ok!

There are piles of bikes out there that "out perform" the truimph twins but not many that match their character. It boils down to your personal taste and riding style.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
I vote salvage/customize.You can make a seat in fiberglass or steel for $50 or less. If the engine cases are destroyed and leaking,that will be some money,but if they are just scraped or gouged,get them filled with weld or some 2 part metal epoxy,paint them and off you go.There are several tank makers out there,or buy/build/modify a tank from another bike and have your tunnel welded in. Anything is possible. Oh,and glad you`re ok.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
If you love your bike and you're good with your hands go with Rodburner .
But if you're in it to only ride or parts in South Africa are just stupid expensive you might want to consider a new bike . Or pending on how taxes and tarriffs are find a good used one to avoid that . Good luck in your venture .

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Decision made I am fixing it

Braced by the positive sentiments of those kind enough to respond to my plight & also remembering the things about my bike that I really enjoyed, I have decided to "fix" & to hell with the insurance recommendation to scrap.
So the bits are "on the water" & I am now off to get the biggest Triumph tattoo put on my chest. (If my wife lets me);)
Must say, once I started stripping, there are a lot of parts that will not be going back on, these bikes are engineered like a battleship, no wonder they last so long.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I certainly hope you're okay after the crash!

Fix the Thrux? Good idea.

Replace the Thrux with something else? Still a good idea! Am glad you're getting back on the bike and going to ride again.

There are probably dozens of bikes on the market on which I'd feel happy. My Scrambler is just one of them.

Again - I hope you came through without major injury.

Regards, Guy

·
Registered
62 Posts
sorry for your loss

Maybe you can take the insurance bucks and get your old salvage bike back and buy something used to ride while you are building your dream bike. just looking on ebay, there seems to be wuite a few 2008 'leftovers" out there on dealer floors at reasonable prices too...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Maybe you can take the insurance bucks and get your old salvage bike back and buy something used to ride while you are building your dream bike. just looking on ebay, there seems to be wuite a few 2008 'leftovers" out there on dealer floors at reasonable prices too...
can a nja get some parts? i'll take your fork braces, dampers etc!!:cool:

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Braced by the positive sentiments of those kind enough to respond to my plight & also remembering the things about my bike that I really enjoyed, I have decided to "fix" & to hell with the insurance recommendation to scrap.
So the bits are "on the water" & I am now off to get the biggest Triumph tattoo put on my chest. (If my wife lets me);)
Must say, once I started stripping, there are a lot of parts that will not be going back on, these bikes are engineered like a battleship, no wonder they last so long.
Glad the counsel of this forum served you so well in arriving at the decision you knew was in your heart from the beginning!

Keep us up to speed on what improvements you'll be making in concert with putting her back on the road. I know the fork tubes would be from a CBR600F3 if it were my machine...

Cheers,

--Rich

1 - 14 of 14 Posts