Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.... I wonder if the 1600cc Thunderbird will spawn any variations? Personally, I'm not a fan of really low saddles and forward controls, and would like to see Triumph build a more-Bonneville-like bike built around the 1600cc powertrain. Higher saddle, lower handlebars, not rear sets, but conventional footpegs. Essentially, a large displacement Bonneville.

Could the upcoming 1600 T-Bird be morphed into a machine that would appeal to us current 790/865 riders, or would it simply be so heavy it would negate many of the things we like about our current rides?

I guess if I had a choice of a big Bonnie with 1600cc engine, or an 865 with hot cams, larger valves, etc, from the factory, I'd go for the 865. (Or a factory built version of the 865 stroked and bored).

Bob

·
29,948 Posts
Interesting point. I'd like to see something else with the big motor - not sure what. I'm sure there will be variations of cruiser, but maybe some street fighter thing - I don't know.

I am also interested to see what the modification crowd do with it!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Bob that is just not going to happen nor is it a viable engineering or customer option.

If you lust after cubes in a brit bike, get yourself a Vincent, or a new Norvin from Mike Hailwood restorations and save yourself and the rest of us the stress and angst from hankering after the unobtainable.

You will need £35k but given the weakness of the pound, it might be the best advice you have had all year....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/motorbikes/3458370/Quality-and-nostalgia.html

·
Registered
687 Posts
Doubt it

There are several reasons why I don't think your desired set up won't come from the factory. If as reported, the engine only kicks out 80hp, it would make more sense to kick out the engine on a new SE model, cast wheels etc.. Similar hp on a lighter bike. No doubt the Thunderbird frame would have to be changed to give you the set up you desire which is a major tooling expense. Especially so in this economy. Remember that Bloor has just expanded in Thailand and no doubt assumed a lot of debt in a shrinking economy. I doubt you will see many new models in the near future that are not already well into development. It will have taken a good 2 years to get on the road after a working protype had been spotted.

I have been thinking that creating a touring machine out of the SE may be a good option. I would put a 903 kit on it, improve air flow intake and exhaust, Parabellum fairing, hard bags, Rentech rack with luggage carrier, Givi Tail bag, Corbin King and Queen, Modre lowering kit, highway bars, accessory plug, some driving lights on the lower forks, running light kit. That would be a start anyway.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I guess thats what it is - a big cruiser. If the Bonneville has a real weakness its cruising the superhighways....my bike seems like a racer on the backroads and a scooter on the thruway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts